• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How can you say 'no' to this cast?

Happy Erio || Blue Loli Gaen
LQKblfH.png

Episode with Tits

Hot Topic Hitagi || Suruga Kagenui

Panty and Shinobu with Galko

Tsubasa Nakiri

Green Matsurika

Rem and Ram's other sister, Rum

Shotarararagi

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, they cut the exchange student episode of Glitter Force.

It's not that hard. Just make him French or something, yeesh. Oh well.

jman2050

already watched Golden TIme and Itazura na Kiss

Clannad...i really want and need to watch it, its just the character design that is turning me off.

On one hand I'd advocate playing the Clannad VN instead (not sure if VNs are your thing), on the other hand it's freaking $50 on Steam what the actual hell.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yes, and like all WoW original characters Varian sucks ass.

Good thing he dies.
disinfo. Literally the greatest leader of any faction, and possibly one of the most accomplished in Warcraft history.

Haly

He's a racist scumbag and embodies everything I dislike about the Alliance which is that it's a collection of all the most racist scumbags on Azeroth.

Humans? Racists in general.
Dwarves? Racists against their darker skinned brethren.
Gnomes? Nerds
Night elves? Nazis.
Draenei? Fundamentalist tentacle space goats.
Worgen? Alt right nazifurs.

Haly

That's cause all their other leaders are even worse than Varian. I mean who do they have to choose from?

Mirana: Unleashed Illidan on the world, thanks.
Zeus: Shitty Hearthstone Class Skin replacing the equally shitty Garrosh
Mekkatorque: Still can't take back Gnomeregan
Velen: The gold standard when it comes to unplayable Priest legendaries
Greymane: Has at least 2 accounts on FurAffinity.com. Check out his sick fursona:

I still thing the movie was pretty meh, and Kamiyama bit off way more than he could chew. He's no Oshii, that's for sure, but I hope that clears some stuff up for you.
Wow this is a super well written up explanation Duckroll, it would also explain quite some stuff. Of course I have no prior knowledge of 009 and it really did seem random as hell for me. I went to read the summary of the plot of the Justice movie trilogy on MAL and since it did not have any mention of the voice it had me in a *did I miss something* position.

Thank you to have taken the time to explain, it did clear some things up or it at least gave a reason behind some events. I'll try to watch the original anime, since I really like Joe's design.

Monster Strike episode 37

Whered my backstory arc with kid Ren and Kid Haruma. Though with every mind wiped we have to wait longer.

Great battle
Lucy(fer) and Haruma are best team. K is best shadow antagonist...that plot twist !

cj_iwakura

I've finished all of Oshii's run of Urusei Yatsura now! It's been good overall, despite the few problems I've had with the series (which I've talked about in this thread already in my previous posts). They even ended it with a nice two-parter that had some impressively animated action scenes. Still, nothing topped episode 78 for me. Now to start Studio Deen's run...
Don't forget the movies! Two of them are fantastic.
Hope AnimEigo does a box set of everything one day.

Clov

Don't forget the movies! Two of them are fantastic.
Hope AnimEigo does a box set of everything one day.

I actually watched the first two movies years ago, before I even watched the series! Despite being only vaguely familiar with the characters and premise, I felt like I was able to understand them well enough. Of course, I'll be giving those two films a rewatch. Still not sure if I'll watch the others once I'm done the TV series, I think I might need a break after 195 episodes.

Discotek is actually rereleasing Beautiful Dreamer on BD over here! As for AnimEigo, they've been asked about both the TV series and the movies. They don't feel like it's likely that they'll be able to bring the TV series over again likely due to costs regarding licensing, to say nothing about the cost of authoring BDs for 195 episodes (if we're optimistic and assume they can fit 12 episodes on 1 BD, that makes just over 16 BD discs). They did however say that the movies are still a possibility, so fingers crossed!

Clov

Which two? Beautiful Dreamer and...?

I assumed Only You, which was the other one directed by Oshii (though it's much more standard Urusei Yatsura than his followup). Of course there's also Lum the Forever, which is supposed to be very different from much of the series, though opinions seem to be very mixed about it from what I can tell.

Edit: I was off on both counts! :p

cj_iwakura

I assumed Only You, which was the other one directed by Oshii (though it's much more standard Urusei Yatsura than his followup). Of course there's also Lum the Forever, which is supposed to be very different from much of the series, though opinions seem to be very mixed about it from what I can tell.

I recall liking all of them to some extent, but 5 is really powerful.

Lum the Forever is the most interesting Urusei Yatsura film to watch other than Beautiful Dreamer, I think. It's really weird, not entirely successful perhaps but an experiment worth witnessing. I haven't watched movies 1 or 5, but my impression was always that those were rather generic as Urusei Yatsura goes.

Clov

I recall liking all of them to some extent, but 5 is really powerful.

Lum the Forever is the most interesting Urusei Yatsura film to watch other than Beautiful Dreamer, I think. It's really weird, not entirely successful perhaps but an experiment worth witnessing. I haven't watched movies 1 or 5, but my impression was always that those were rather generic as Urusei Yatsura goes.

I'll make a note to watch the films I haven't seen sometime after the series, then.

As for the first film, it seemed pretty standard to me when I watched it. Nothing particularly special. Mind you, if it released on BD over here I'd still pick it up in a heartbeat. Need to keep adding to my Oshii collection!

NeonZ

I'll make a note to watch the films I haven't seen sometime after the series, then.

As for the first film, it seemed pretty standard to me when I watched it. Nothing particularly special. Mind you, if it released on BD over here I'd still pick it up in a heartbeat. Need to keep adding to my Oshii collection!

Movie 5 is the manga ending. I don't think it feels like a satisfying conclusion to the animated series though, due to some previous additions to the anime conflicting with the movie's basic premise, and the ending is fairly open anyway like usual for Rumiko's comedy endings.
A large part of the conflict comes from Lum being angry because Ataru never even once admitted that he loved her or showed proof of his love. That shouldn't be an issue in the animated series though.

Movie 4/Lum The Forever thematically also was written to be an ending, and it has its own flaws (
mostly due to a big exposition scene being cut, so many of the movie's mysteries are left without a clear explanation
), but I regret not leaving it for last, rather than movie 5. The final tv episode also has some neat foreshadowing for movie 4.

Exalted

Soma S2 episode 9

Finally the 3 way final has started. This episode really went fast, the contestants made and presented all 3 dishes in this one episode to the judges, thought it would take multiple episodes, since it's the final.
Damn , they didn't announce an winner at the end, the episode ended right when the judges wanted to :p, guess we will find out next week. And judging by the post credit scene, there will be one final twist from Soma.

Alice's mother is great.

Shinkai's first film to receive a wide release, Kimi no na wa, is on track in its opening weekend to possibly pull in over 1 billion yen, which would be a bigger box office opening than any of Mamoru Hosoda's films. Will Shinkai overtake Hosoda to become the most commercially successful Japanese anime filmmaker of today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom