• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Box Office Meltdown: Why the Movie Business Is Running Scared

cryptoadam

Banned
People would rather be on their phones then watching movies.

We are so attached to our phones, tweeting, commeting etc... that sitting in a theater for 2 hours without access to our phones is probably really difficult especially for the younger generation.

Instead you can watch the movie on Netflix or some other service and have your phone out as much as you want.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
This particular summer just hasn't been that great. The big sequels (Endgame, John Wick 3, Toy Story 4) are fine, but many of the other movies are either rehashes of old franchises or just throwaway material. Exceptions like Midsommar exist, of course.

I'd say it's the product of Hollywood being too conservative even by its usual standards, not wanting to take a chance on properties that aren't already known. The question is whether or not they'll break out of that rut in 2020.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
#1 Streaming
#2 Price increases
#3 Too many below average films to some degree, obviousy Tarantino films will draw attention.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'd say it's the product of Hollywood being too conservative even by its usual standards, not wanting to take a chance on properties that aren't already known. The question is whether or not they'll break out of that rut in 2020.
Di$ leaked out their release schedule for the next decade and it was nothing but Untitled Franchises, Sequels, Marvel, Star Wars, Animated Remake, etc.. we are stuck in this reboot/remake rut for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

juliotendo

Theaters are past their time.

Tickets are overpriced, concessions are overpriced, the people are obnoxious, and the movies aren’t worth their time.

Doesn’t make sense to sit in a large room with strangers anymore and watch a movie with the rise of streaming and in home entertainment.

A family of four attending a theater with pricing on tickets and concessions is robbery.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Shits on spolierphobes, yet understands why they might not have seen a movie yet. :pie_thinking:
If you’re waiting to see something at home the odds of you not being spoiled are like .0001%. If you’re upset about spoilers go see it in theaters.

Theaters are past their time.

Tickets are overpriced, concessions are overpriced, the people are obnoxious, and the movies aren’t worth their time.

Doesn’t make sense to sit in a large room with strangers anymore and watch a movie with the rise of streaming and in home entertainment.

A family of four attending a theater with pricing on tickets and concessions is robbery.
It’s the same price as going out to eat. Whenever people complain about movie tickets it makes me laugh. How do you expect theaters to stay in business? Everything costs money.

Movie theaters make sense because the quality is higher than home setting. I still go to theaters occasionally and i have a 20k setup in my house.

Seeing everything on Netflix is a shitty experience in comparison. Flat audio, washed out detail, and super late to the game society wise.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People realized the only big movies splashes are cartoons and comic book stories. They all seem to make good sales, so for those genres it can't be that bad.

For the rest, people prefer to surf the net or stream movies for entertainment is more fun and convenient and doesn't need 50ft grainy screens with THX 48 speaker sound.

Elcid

Banned
Minus Endgame and Spider-Man I've had zero reason to go to the theater this year. I prefer watching movies at home.

theclaw135

Banned
A screen size and audiovisual quality unmatched at home is fantastic - for the right movie.

They've got to shake up and spread out the release schedules. Rapid fire sequels and remakes diminish the 'wow factor'.

MilkyJoe

gwgb.jpg

I for one cannot wait for Bond 25 to spectacularly bomb

sol_bad

My wife and I go to the movies at least once a week, sometimes twice. We love it and no matter how good your home set up is, it will never beat a 3D IMAX screen. Sure there are annoying who talk or look at their phone, but it's pretty easy to politely ask them to stop talking or to put their phone away. We have watched Far From Home twice.

I miss going to the movies. I noticed that going to the cinema became less of routine around 2012 or so. I dont think its a coincidence that this is happening as TV Shows has won the world over.

And think about it. People have been bitching about Hollywoods output forever. In the 90s and 2000s we would go to the cinema and say "yeah the story wasn't that good, but the effects were amazing". You heard that shit all the time. You had to see the movie because it looked incredible technically, and no other production house could match Hollywood. If you wanted to see effects, stunts and top of the line production quality, it had to be big hollywood film.

But after decades of that, we became jaded and desensitized from effects carrying a film. It just wasnt enough anymore. And in comes TV shows- With much higher budgets and productions than in the past. And they have strengths that movies doesnt have. The characters you are invested in keeps evolving for episode after episode. You get so much more time to explore character development and drama.

In a movie its tough because you have to tell this big epic story and then tie a knot on it in an hour and thirty minutes, wrapping up everything. You have so much leeway with shows where some shows take their time, stretch their legs and can have blunder episodes despite still being a good show.

It is a shame that Cinema is dying. Its an experience unlike any other. Its a social event, but nobody is talking to anyone (or at least they shouldnt). You just go there to sit down in a dark room and watch stuff with strangers.

Nymphae

Banned
Looking at your phone is now considered disruptive towards the entire congregation?

Depending on the brightness level and where you're sitting, you're fucking right it can be disruptive to nearly the whole theatre. I've been in theatres where some idiot has their full brightness phone out and they're sitting dead center a few rows up from the front. Nearly everyone behind them is catching that in their peripheral or direct line of sight. Put it away for 2 hours for fucks sake.

nush

Gold Member
For the rest of the year the only movies I'll go to see will be Terminator (because Arnold) and Star Wars. There's no more Marvel movies this year, shame they were bunched together
Looking at your phone is now considered disruptive towards the entire congregation?
yeah, backlights in a dark room.

Depending on the brightness level and where you're sitting, you're fucking right it can be disruptive to nearly the whole theatre. I've been in theatres where some idiot has their full brightness phone out and they're sitting dead center a few rows up from the front. Nearly everyone behind them is catching that in their peripheral or direct line of sight. Put it away for 2 hours for fucks sake.

Suppose it depends on a variety of factors, as screen brightness and app background color are the main problems, and of course the location. I wouldn't have a problem with somebody checking their phone, as long as it doesn't affect those around them.

Nymphae

Banned
Suppose it depends on a variety of factors, as screen brightness and app background color are the main problems, and of course the location. I wouldn't have a problem with somebody checking their phone, as long as it doesn't affect those around them.

Hell even a low brightness screen with dark BG can be noticed if the theatre is dark enough when you do it. The only way it's acceptable for me is if you can tell they just turned it on for 1 second to check the time. If you're doing anything other than that, get the fuck out of the theatre who do you think you are? This was one of the biggest factors for me not wanting to go to theatres anymore, I was constantly being distracted by people who don't care about the movie they payed to see, or the people around them. At home focus is no problem.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love going to the movies. Funny enough I have seen more new movies in drive ins than actually theaters.

Tbh every time I go to a theater, I’m amazed at how few people are there. Sometimes there are maybe a dozen people in all.

Big problem nowadays is “prestige tv” style has crept into everything, movies and tv are flattened at this point, one and the same, shot on the same cameras by the same directors. So it’s not as interesting. It’s a bit like arcades, there was a time when going to an arcade was the only way to get a premium experience. Now you may as well stay home, it’ll be just as good.

What this says for movies is unfortunate. IMO people should start shooting on film again

Last edited:
Hell even a low brightness screen with dark BG can be noticed if the theatre is dark enough when you do it. The only way it's acceptable for me is if you can tell they just turned it on for 1 second to check the time. If you're doing anything other than that, get the fuck out of the theatre who do you think you are?

Personally I can't comment too much on the matter, as I haven't been to the cinema in a long time, but overall I can imagine things being amiable... unless you live in Florida.

Nymphae

Banned
Personally I can't comment too much on the matter, as I haven't been to the cinema in a long time, but overall I can imagine things being amiable... unless you live in Florida.

There was a period years ago where I went to the theatre more often, and this was happening a lot. I didn't really feel like getting into it with someone, so instead of asking them not to be a retard, I just brought paper with me and would shoot spitballs at them. It was satisfying and sometimes it worked, usually I would miss a majority of my shots and just end up more frustrated.

There was a period years ago where I went to the theatre more often, and this was happening a lot. I didn't really feel like getting into it with someone, so instead of asking them not to be a retard, I just brought paper with me and would shoot spitballs at them. It was satisfying and sometimes it worked, usually I would miss a majority of my shots and just end up more frustrated.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Di$ leaked out their release schedule for the next decade and it was nothing but Untitled Franchises, Sequels, Marvel, Star Wars, Animated Remake, etc.. we are stuck in this reboot/remake rut for the foreseeable future.

Well, let's see what the untitled franchises are, but yeah... not surprising, like it or not. My concern actually isn't so much with Disney, though, since at least there's a kind of consistency to their output. It's the other outfits that don't have so many gems to work with... what's their excuse?

Doom85

I always take the "movies are doomed!" talk with a grain of salt. Every year it's the same doom and gloom and eventually you learn to stop buying it so much. Even if the movie industry gets too bloated, then they'll simply lower the number of studios and releases to a more reasonable number for the audience. And as the report itself points out, people flock more to movies that are good, what a shocker.

Like, I remember a report on TV in 2017 talking about a "disappointing" movie summer box office and listed Annabelle: Creation as a BO failure. Riiiiiiight, a $15 million budget bringing in $100 million domestically and overall $300 million internationally, I'm sure the studio was VERY disappointed.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I still love the movies, and go when it's something I'm really excited to see, but it's definitely slowed down in recent years.

I think the main factor is that our home systems are getting do good now. My wife now thinks are setup at home is better than at the theater. I still get wowed by a good Dolby or Imax showing.

Drake

I haven't been to the theater in a very long time.... And since you have to choose where you sit now when you pay for the ticket.. That pissed me off even more.

Wait, this is a thing now? What theaters do this? (shows how loing its been since I've been to a movie)

Going to a theater is more often than not a miserable experience, shitty parents bringing kids to movies they shouldn't be seeing and refusing to control their children, people talking and giggling and fucking with their phones, overpriced food items on top of the fact that a good majority of movies these days are reboots, remakes, or an endless sequel.

I just don't give a shit anymore about a theater experience, when my setup at home is great and substantially more comfortable. I'd pay for new release movies if they just let me watch at home, only for very rare exceptions will I take a trip to the theater.

Xiaoki

This puts Disney's total 2019 box office at $7.67 billion, this breaks the record for the highest box office by a studio in a year which was previously $7.61 billion in 2016 by Disney. Also, its only the end of July and Disney still has Frozen 2

MetalAlien

Banned

This puts Disney's total 2019 box office at $7.67 billion, this breaks the record for the highest box office by a studio in a year which was previously $7.61 billion in 2016 by Disney. Also, its only the end of July and Disney still has Frozen 2

zR4icBw.jpg

Movies are doing just fine. The problem is the over saturation of the market with Marvel taking a huge chunk of it. Not to mention Hollywood is still obsessed with pushing out shitty remakes of old franchises

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Went to the movies the other night, two tickets $35, small popcorn and small drinks, $30. fuck.

Top Bottom