• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas at the Box Office Hinges on ‘Aquaman 2.’ Movie Theater Owners Are Worried.

Spyxos

Gold Member
MCDAQUA_EC054-1.jpg

Every year around Christmas, Phoenix Theatres puts all of its chips on one major tentpole

But this holiday season is different. For the first time in more than a decade, excluding the pandemic-stricken 2020, there’s no surefire blockbuster with the potential to gross $1 billion globally to cap off the year.

“You can’t look at the release schedule between now and the end of the year and find one movie that stands out like ‘Avatar’ as the big film,” says Phoenix Theatres owner Cory Jacobson.

Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom,” the follow-up to 2018’s megahit “Aquaman,” should be that big bet. Yet the sequel lands in theaters on Dec. 22 as a massive question mark.

“The holiday season is on the shoulders of ‘Aquaman,’ and that’s not a good shoulder to put anything on,” says Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “Can it cut through the negative DC noise?”

Movie theater owners, who were walloped by the Hollywood strikes as they were still recovering from the pandemic, have no choice but to accentuate the positive. “With one big film, you must stock a lot of show times to meet demands. If it doesn’t work out, you end up with a lot of empty show times,”

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I did not like Aquaman 1. Jason has a lot of charisma, but the tone and story were all over the place. At one point I thought I feel asleep thinking I missed part of the movie when there was a war all of a sudden and I was like, where the hell did that come from?!

I don't expect big thing for 2. Don't think there's a lot of hype and also there's a superhero fatigue. I think people are ready for some good time heartfelt movies.

Kadve

I did not like Aquaman 1. Jason has a lot of charisma, but the tone and story were all over the place. At one point I thought I feel asleep thinking I missed part of the movie when there was a war all of a sudden and I was like, where the hell did that come from?!

I don't expect big thing for 2. Don't think there's a lot of hype and also there's a superhero fatigue. I think people are ready for some good time heartfelt movies.
Has there been any hype for any blockbuster since Barbie really?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Big studios have been forcing us to like nothing but comic book movies and franchises. Gone are the days where an R-Rated action or drama does well at the box office.
But until these idiot corporate heads realize that audience actually WANT those films back, movies will continue to do poorly

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Big studios have been forcing us to like nothing but comic book movies and franchises. Gone are the days where an R-Rated action or drama does well at the box office.
But until these idiot corporate heads realize that audience actually WANT those films back, movies will continue to do poorly
They need to start lowering their budgets. There's no reason for movies to cost so much to make.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Can’t remember a single fucking thing about that movie

Movie Tickets
+
Popcorn/Theater Food
+
Drink

What type of movies would be worth the 2023 version of what these add up to? The ones worth the IMAX experience are few and far between. Additionally, it's not even that good of a dating experience because both parties usually can't talk to each other. Even kids don't necessarily care anymore since they have tablets.

Reactions: Fbh

3liteDragon

Cyberpunkd

This, I’m sorry for theatres that will suffer but past decade has been endless stream of BS superhero crap. Time to pay.

Raven117

Gawd I hope the era of superhero movies is coming to an end.

You nerds kept that going for way too long.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I still can't wrap my head around why quite a few good looking women are utterly bat shit crazy

2ojHHmo.jpg

Must be a curse or something. Even in my own life I've only met a handful that haven't had some weird quirk or have a destructive personality.
Narcisistic tendencies being fueled by social media "look at me" attention.Thats why.The prettier they are the more attention they get,the more narcisistic they become and think they can do anything as everything is about them.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The collapse of the cinema theatre system would be absolutely marvellous, given how terrible the movie going experience is… so very much hoping Aquaman 2 is as big a flop as it looks like it will be. Followed by the next movie, and the next movie, and the next movie…

Burn It To The Ground GIF by Parker McCollum

Last edited:
I'll be happy the sooner Theaters go out of business and they start releasing actual good movies on Streaming. I do agree with you on the poorly made spewed films though lol
I love going to the cinema. I genuinely do not want to lose theatres. Something like the IMAX vs a shitty streaming service via tv and poor sound at home, the difference is night and day.

Last edited:
I love going to the cinema. I genuinely do not want to lose theatres. Something like the IMAX vs a shitty streaming service via tv and poor sound at home is like night and day.

Let's just say I have a good Theater room. So no I can wait for the movie to come to Streaming/VOD/Physical. I won't shed a tear once theaters go out of business

ManaByte

Gold Member
I still can't wrap my head around why quite a few good looking women are utterly bat shit crazy

2ojHHmo.jpg

Must be a curse or something. Even in my own life I've only met a handful that haven't had some weird quirk or have a destructive personality.
The used up floppy fish market is in the fish movie.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'll be happy the sooner Theaters go out of business and they start releasing actual good movies on Streaming

Yeah, that's definitely how it'll play out.

"The audience doesn't care about films"

Quickly, put all our resources into making good films.

"Won't that be expensive? Can our subscriber revenues justify the expense?"

Good point, let's make another limited series about KSI or IJustine or something.

Pejo

For as 'pants on head' stupid as the first one was, I enjoyed it. The sheer audacity to have dinosaurs and shark lasers and Aquaman fist fighting in the desert gave it some "balls" to at least embrace its lunacy. If I was a 12 year old kid, it might even be my favorite movie of that year. I'll probably go see this movie with the gf. She owes me for watching Dial of Destiny for her despite numerous red flags. Funny enough, she hated Dial of Destiny more than I did, not that I liked it either.

Anyways, I'd be 100% fine if this was the last new superhero movie I ever saw. I'll still go back and rewatch Kick-Ass, the original Blade (maybe Blade 2), and a few others, but Hollywood/comics made it abundantly clear that superheroes aren't for me anymore.

Last edited:
For as 'pants on head' stupid as the first one was, I enjoyed it. The sheer audacity to have dinosaurs and shark lasers and Aquaman fist fighting in the desert gave it some "balls" to at least embrace its lunacy. If I was a 12 year old kid, it might even be my favorite movie of that year. I'll probably go see this movie with the gf. She owes me for watching Dial of Destiny for her despite numerous red flags. Funny enough, she hated Dial of Destiny more than I did, not that I liked it either.

Anyways, I'd be 100% fine if this was the last new superhero movie I ever saw. I'll still go back and rewatch Kick-Ass, the original Blade (maybe Blade 2), and a few others, but Hollywood/comics made it abundantly clear that superheroes aren't for me anymore.

Meh Amber Heard is in it so I'm skipping it

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

2ojHHmo.jpg

Their beauty carries an egocentrism that they think they are the best in the world but they neglect their self-esteem and their low tolerance for frustration increases.

Top Bottom