• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Eras Tour (concert movie) might break box office October opening record

Sorcerer

Just checked out her most listened to songs and the only one I even heard before is Blank Space.

Didn‘t she start out as country singer?
Some start out in country and then become wildly successful when they attempt to crossover, besides Taylor:
Shania Twain
Kacey Musgraves
Dolly Parton
Faith Hill
It just seems par for the course that a successful female country artist will crossover eventually.
I wonder if learning to write and perform Country gives a more solid foundation for later success than starting as a pop artist from scratch?

Last edited:

Kirye

The amount of people in this thread who don't at least know "Shake it Off" is baffling to me. Even if you've never searched for her music or listen to the radio you had to have heard that song through some kind of osmosis and know it's her.

As far as the concert movie goes, good for her. Saw it yesterday and thought it was entertaining even though I could only connect a few songs to her.

E-Cat

How can you have better than average taste? Just curious. Surely it matters not a fuck what anyone thinks of the things you like?

The only way you could quantify that is if lots of other people like similar things to you. Even then I might consider your taste shite as your taste probably consists of things that I think are shite..................
Bc I’m much more talented musically than the avg person, I can for example learn to play Beethoven sonatas by ear. So, I have more capability to parse out what makes music interesting, because I hear it ALL.

GymWolf

I don’t understand why she is so famous. She is a fine performer and has some interesting songs but her fame is on an entirely different level. Honestly it feels manufactured but that would be crazy talk.
She is hot and has nice long legs.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don’t understand why she is so famous. She is a fine performer and has some interesting songs but her fame is on an entirely different level. Honestly it feels manufactured but that would be crazy talk.
Attractive, white, blonde hair, blue eyes, socially relevant, started in country music, expanded to pop, icon for anyone under 40, catchy tunes, word of mouth, extremely good live show and she has masterfully marketed herself across a variety of mediums.

She is basically a leviathan of modern marketing in every single category. She ticks every single box basically. It would be more shocking if she WASN'T the biggest draw on the planet at the moment.

Bc I’m much more talented musically than the avg person, I can for example learn to play Beethoven sonatas by ear. So, I have more capability to parse out what makes music interesting, because I hear it ALL.

south-park.gif

Last edited:

HoodWinked

It's commendable that she's been able to remain relevant for so long, without just becoming an overt whore at the second phase of their careers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Good on her. Not a fan I do like shake it off though. It’s nice to give her fans who can’t afford tickets a way to watch. Yeah she will get a cut and all but I bet the atmosphere is better at the live cinema show that just watching it at home.

Rbk_3

Some start out in country and then become wildly successful when they attempt to crossover, besides Taylor:
Shania Twain
Kacey Musgraves
Dolly Parton
Faith Hill
It just seems par for the course that a successful female country artist will crossover eventually.
I wonder if learning to write and perform Country gives a more solid foundation for later success than starting as a pop artist from scratch?

Faith Hill and Dolly weren't really a cross over artist. Faith had 1 top 10 Billboard hit and Dolly had 2.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Selling your soil to Satan and summoning demons for him will get you whatever you want.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The amount of people in this thread who don't at least know "Shake it Off" is baffling to me. Even if you've never searched for her music or listen to the radio you had to have heard that song through some kind of osmosis and know it's her.
I listen to apple music radio daily, so I'm probably hearing songs of her if she's topping charts, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones as I wouldn't be able to pick her out of the bunch.
I only remember one song of her, and not even the song, but the video, where she's communicating with some guy through a window or some shit; I wouldn't be able to tell you how the song goes, but what I do remember is always thinking that, while her songs are well produced, she isn't a great vocalist and the lyrics are the most tumblr teenage diary writing of all time, which is probably also what the majority of her audience is.
Maybe she's changed over the years, but I haven't heard anything that stood out for me to take notice.

Now that olivia rodrigo girl, heard vampire on apple radio and it immediately took my attention.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I feel even Amy Winehouse was more famous and relevant and she only had a short career. I know and recognize her songs even without ever having actively searched them out.

Just listened to some Taylor Swift like that Shake it Off song and I had never heard it. Also I think it's not so good?

Marvel14

Banned
Lol anything but "remarkable" when she has that many people to reach in a single post; nobody but her fans are going to that movie.
Let us know when you get 350 milion followers and are creating creative content that generates billions ....then we will start to care about your opinion of what is or isn't remarkable.

But I do know what folk mean. Katy Perry's pop tunes are catchier and generally stronger musically. But Swift is a singer, songwriter, lyricist and performer that seems to be getting better and better. Being able to do all of it consistently is extremely rare. Cruel Summer (recent) is an excellent song.

There is something about her that is extremely powerful...it is authenticity. She writes about what happens in her life and she let's her fans know who she really is...she invited a bunch of them to her houses for early album preview listening parties FFS by reverse stalking them. No other artist has done that.

In a world full of pretenders wanting to get noticed she is unapologetically herself- the real deal.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
But I do know what folk mean. Katy Perry's pop tunes are catchier and generally stronger musically. But Swift is a singer, songwriter, lyricist and performer that seems to be getting better and better. Being able to do all of it consistently is extremely rare. Cruel Summer (recent) is an excellent song.

Taylor is a remarkably good storyteller in her (newer) songs. I think it's that which has propelled her beyond just the status as another pop diva.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My wife said that in the movie Taylor never sweats. All her backup dancers are sweating buckets but Taylor is pristine.

This is how the Terminators get us!

Marvel14

Banned
Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Let us know when you get 350 milion followers and are creating creative content that generates billions ....then we will start to care about your opinion of what is or isn't remarkable.
... That's clearly not what I meant, the projected box office isn't "remarkable", it is expected, exactly because she has such a wide reach via a single post.

DKehoe

I feel even Amy Winehouse was more famous and relevant and she only had a short career. I know and recognize her songs even without ever having actively searched them out.

Just listened to some Taylor Swift like that Shake it Off song and I had never heard it. Also I think it's not so good?
I like Amy Winehouse's music but she was never as famous as Taylor Swift. Swift is the biggest musical star on the planet, currently playing multiple dates at stadiums in cities across the world. Amy Winehouse had a really good level of success but was never performing on that level.

GymWolf

She is less famous than brigantony in italy (or at least here in sicily), i think i never heard anyone in my life calling her name even by mistake...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My wife said that in the movie Taylor never sweats. All her backup dancers are sweating buckets but Taylor is pristine.

This is how the Terminators get us!

She looks knackered as shit in some of the live footage videos. There's one where she has a pretty bad head cold and... well, snot fucking city :messenger_tears_of_joy:

NickFire

... That's clearly not what I meant, the projected box office isn't "remarkable", it is expected, exactly because she has such a wide reach via a single post.
Come on now. Her ability to draw so many ticket sales because of a post is absolutely, hands down, no questions asked, remarkable.

Think about the normal advertising budget for a big movie. Estimated ranges vary, but something equal to the production budget is not unheard of.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

As far as the concert movie goes, good for her. Saw it yesterday and thought it was entertaining even though I could only connect a few songs to her.
I never knew that was her song. I'm not too good with matching popular songs to artists (I often have to load up Shazam to help me nail it). But that song used to be played a ton everywhere.

Sorcerer

It's a concert movie, no one has great expectations for these things. Zeppelin themselves failed spectacularly at it (The Song Remains the Same). The fact that it is grossing as much as it has at this early stage is impressive. She did not even hold it back for the end of the tour, assuming it would be overkill. Probably cost very little to make assuming the show is merely being filmed then edited.
Usually, these things are put into theaters for a week/weekend to promote the home video release in the following weeks. They are usually just ads for that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They are usually just ads for that.
Yes, and unlike the others, she has 350 million people to reach at the press of a button, anyone not expecting this movie to do exactly as well as it did, especially considering her fanbase, was just deluding themselves.

Sorcerer

After 17 years Taylor is at the point where her earliest fans are probably having kids now. I wonder if the next gen of her fans are or will be from exposure from the parents? Usually, kids reject mom and dad's music though. This may make her even more monstrously successful as time goes on.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Reach and actually getting people to spend time and money to consume are not the same thing. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker didn't crack 1988s top ten in box office...there's a chance she will...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

You ought to take your considerable skills and work out what the key bits of Taylor Swift's wild success is and then write her some more songs and make your fortune.

E-Cat

You ought to take your considerable skills and work out what the key bits of Taylor Swift's wild success is and then write her some more songs and make your fortune.
I listened to a bit of her music just now, and it's not really my style. Probably the reason why her music didn't stick to my mind to begin with.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I listened to a bit of her music just now, and it's not really my style. Probably the reason why her music didn't stick to my mind to begin with.

What did you listen to? She varies wildly between asinine pop crap and genuinely extremely good. Her albums Folklore and Evermore are frankly fantastic.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I am still confused and also bored so I found this heatmap which I don't know how valid it is but it confirms what I thought, Western Europe is just not into her. Weird how Eastern Europe and Northern Africa and Arabia are.

TaylorSwiftRank.png
\

Top Bottom