• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Eras Tour (concert movie) might break box office October opening record

near

Gold Member
Long live the new box office queen.

After selling out stadiums across the country, Taylor Swift is filling movie theaters with “The Eras Tour” concert film, which ignited to estimates of $95 million to $97 million over the weekend. Studios typically report a firmer number at this point, but “without clear comparisons, Sunday box office projections remain a range,” the film’s official distributor AMC Theatres said in a note to press. Rivals have suggested the final tally could be closer to $94 million.

It’s still a remarkable start for a concert film that was announced just six weeks ago and landed on the big screen with minimal promotion outside of Swift posting on social media to her 350 million followers.

At the international box office, “Eras Tour” collected $31 million to $33 million, putting its initial global tally between $126 million to $130 million.

During its first weekend in theaters, “The Eras Tour” became the highest-grossing concert film in domestic box office history, surpassing the entire $73 million run of “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never” in 2011. Depending on the final weekend tally, “The Eras Tour” has the potential to set an October box office benchmark, which is currently held by 2019’s “Joker” with $96 million.

The Swifties don't play round.

DKehoe

It’s not really my kind of thing. But it’s kinda cool that fans of hers who either couldn’t get/afford tickets or live somewhere that isn’t anywhere nearby one of the tour dates can still see the show like that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It’s still a remarkable start for a concert film that was announced just six weeks ago and landed on the big screen with minimal promotion outside of Swift posting on social media to her 350 million followers.
Lol anything but "remarkable" when she has that many people to reach in a single post; nobody but her fans are going to that movie.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
When was the last time we had a singular person in music that commanded this kind of following and fame on this large a scale?

Michael?
MJ is probably the closest comparison, but she essentially gets boy band hysteria. I just don't think there are boy bands to go on about anymore.

DKehoe

That’s actually a fair bit less than I thought it would open with.

I’d read that the advance ticket sales were $100 million so I’m also surprised that it wasn’t higher. But I guess it’s for a specific audience so the majority of them would book in advance.

Last edited:
Just because you don't know her songs doesn't mean she isn't the biggest music star in the world right now.
But it is interesting that there's a difference, right? I reckon most people know a song or two by MJ, but Swift isn't as universally appealing it seems. I don't know anything by her either. I think it's easier to just stay within your bubble nowadays and not get exposed to popular things.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m going with the missus to see her next year. Should be quite the experience. I’ll be taking ear plugs to drown out the screaming.

near

Gold Member
Heaven and Hell, Paranoid, War Pigs... come on dude, know your culture

Nib is a banger too. Hole in the sky. Kids these days I swear.
source.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don’t understand why she is so famous. She is a fine performer and has some interesting songs but her fame is on an entirely different level. Honestly it feels manufactured but that would be crazy talk.

PSYGN

You know she commands a following when even the big AC repairman starts playing Love Story from his phone. At first I thought it was his radio but then he skipped over some other songs so it was clearly in his rotation of mostly country music. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Not big into her music but I'm tired of seeing the slander she gets over being a pretty white woman (in part at least)... Slay queen.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is slightly out of topic. I like Ms Taylor Swift, but...

..on the subject of live shows, anybody else saw Madonna's show yesterday? I don't think it warrants a new thread. Most people here probably don't even know who that is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like my share of TS songs. I dont follow her career but if I hear a catchy song, I shazam it and hey, it's a TS song.

I find it weird anyone would go to a theatre to watch a recap movie about a concert tour. It's be like buying cinema tickets to watch a playoff game that happened a month ago. To me, live events you got to be there for it to be worth paying.

But hey, for all the amp up fans who couldnt buy tix or cant wait for a stream, I guess this is the next big thing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That’s actually a fair bit less than I thought it would open with.
It's 3 hours long, to hit that number is a damned miracle.

The real question...does she get a Best Score, Best Soundtrack, or Best Song Oscar? If the oscar committee is smart, they will at least nominate her for that kinda stuff for the views.

Trunx81

Didn’t she start as a country singer?
I know some songs, a few are good (Wildest Dreams). The hype really is surreal, though. Well, todays youth and I are never, ever coming back together. No bad blood, mind you.

Laieon

I've been told recently that one of her albums sounds like something that would have been released by Fueled-By-Ramen. Anyone know what that could be?

Didn’t she start as a country singer?

As far as radio-country goes, yeah.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Well, obviously. There's no such thing as "objectively interesting". However, I do consider my taste better than average. I'm sure I've heard a lot of her songs, they haven't sticked to my mind for whatever reason.
How can you have better than average taste? Just curious. Surely it matters not a fuck what anyone thinks of the things you like?

The only way you could quantify that is if lots of other people like similar things to you. Even then I might consider your taste shite as your taste probably consists of things that I think are shite..................

Last edited:

Sorcerer

When was the last time we had a singular person in music that commanded this kind of following and fame on this large a scale?

Michael?
It depends on if you count The Jackson 5. Taylor has a 17-year winning streak at this point, but she hasn't had a "Thriller" yet, but that will probably never happen again for any artist in this day and age.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Taylor Swift is a good person honestly?
She gave out $50 million in bonuses to her crew. She donates a million bucks to food banks in cities she tours in. If she is a Witch in league with Satan, then she must have Satan by the balls. LOL!!!
Every successful female artist is a Witch.
Taylor Swift
Kate Bush
Lana Del Ray
Stevie Nicks
No way they would be popular otherwise.
As for the carbon emissions thing, well she is a successful artist who is employing a ton of people, probably helping the economy in her own way. She needs the Jet to get around. Nothing is perfect. Probably safer for her to be in the air then on the ground with all the nutjobs trying to get at her.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just checked out her most listened to songs and the only one I even heard before is Blank Space.

Didn‘t she start out as country singer?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Must be nice for the theaters that are dying deaths by a thousand cuts. They should all be trying to turn these into big events during the traditionally slow months.

Top Bottom