• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Aquaman 2’ Sinks With $40 Million Debut

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never knew the plot was a global warning story. It's a hilarious read on the wiki page.

Sounds like something a door to door eco warrior would spout trying to get donation from you.

belmarduk

Looks like this movie is actually coming close to breaking even.
Not the disaster that was Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, The Marvels and The Flash.
People like Jason Mamoa... also the Christmas release date seems to have helped.

Kadve

just watched it. Movie didnt have an original bone in its body and most of its DNA feels stolen from Thor 3.

And yes, the "environmental" message is seriously distracting from the Super Hero story. And the slashed post production budget can really be felt in the editing which was all over the place.

ManaByte

Gold Member
just watched it. Movie didnt have an original bone in its body and most of its DNA feels stolen from Thor 3.

And yes, the "environmental" message is seriously distracting from the Super Hero story. And the slashed post production budget can really be felt in the editing which was all over the place.

It's Superman IV. Just replace nuclear weapons with global warming.

It even has the exact same issue where the hero lectures everyone from a pulpit:
60oxRvr.png
3JJc0Gx.png

Eiknarf

Banned

It even has the exact same issue where the hero lectures everyone from a pulpit:
60oxRvr.png
3JJc0Gx.png

I love when fictional characters try to teach me a lesson based on a prediction based on an assumption of a theory.

Liljagare

Was a ok popcorn flick, effects were pretty good, but story wise, "meh".

Nobody else thinking they just copied a little too much from the Necrons in 40K?

u3ppeYu.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I love it when super hero movies bomb!! The day people get fed up with this crap had to arrive.

The question is, which movies are outperforming their projections right now?

Barbie hit big. The Sound of Freedom hit big. Top Gun Maverick...Mario...Oppenheimer?

I don't really see a pattern.

60oxRvr.png
3JJc0Gx.png
Is that Aquaman picture real? It actually looks like a photoshop. It looks so silly and like it's not even there.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I watched it the other night, it's not nearly as good as the first one (which I really quite enjoyed) -- but it was fine.

Yeah the global warming plotline points were dumb, but it was easy enough to ignore and just enjoy the ride.

60oxRvr.png
3JJc0Gx.png
This alone will make me never see this movie and I'm ok with it. That CGI is fucking terrible. To think, we have all these nVidia GPU's out in the world rendering their asses off and that was the best thing that they could make. You may as well hire me, I don't know much about CGI rendering, but I feel I could do a better job.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watching this now. Probably going to turn it off. I'm tired of these all green screen films. Everything just looks so fucking fake.

This is what my surprised my son the other day. I was watching the first Pirates with him and he goes, "Is this all just green screen". I said no they filmed a lot on the water. And you could tell the movie was filmed outside and on certain locations. It makes the movie better.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is what my surprised my son the other day. I was watching the first Pirates with him and he goes, "Is this all just green screen". I said no they filmed a lot on the water. And you could tell the movie was filmed outside and on certain locations. It makes the movie better.
This is what killed The Jungle Cruise for me. Whole damned thing was done inside the Volume or whatever and even though it often looks good, there is some undeniable bit of uncanny valley/offness about it. Compare it to Jumanji WttJ which had a lot of on location filming and its tangible.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is what killed The Jungle Cruise for me. Whole damned thing was done inside the Volume or whatever and even though it often looks good, there is some undeniable bit of uncanny valley/offness about it. Compare it to Jumanji WttJ which had a lot of on location filming and its tangible.
It makes sense with a TV show and smaller budgets. But you cannot beat real location shooting for film.

Antman Quantum was so bad looking. The entire movie is on a stage and you can tell. I want to suspend my disbelief but the green screen makes it hard.

Blade2.0

For me it's just, if you're going to make it all CGI anyways, why have the actors to begin with? Just go the extra mile and make it animated. Seeing Nicole Kidman for five seconds before she becomes a fucking CGI mock-up does zero for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom