• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Aquaman 2’ Sinks With $40 Million Debut

Spyxos

Gold Member
MCDAQAN_WB015.jpg

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” failed to make a splash at the Christmas box office, debuting to $28 million over the weekend and an estimated $40 million through the four-day holiday weekend.

But Warner Bros. and DC Studio’s “Aquaman 2” has little to boast about beyond its No. 1 spot. The sequel cost $205 million and ranks among the worst debuts of the year for a superhero movie. It’s softer than November’s misfire “The Marvels” ($47 million), which ended its run as the lowest-grossing installment in the history of Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe. “The Marvels” was shocking because it was the rare MCU movie to tumble out of the gate.

By contrast, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” is shaping up to be the fourth of four DC movies this year to crumble at the box office. Already in 2023, “The Flash” ($55 million debut), “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” ($30 million debut) and “Blue Beetle” ($25 million debut) majorly flopped in theaters.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MCDAQAN_WB015.jpg

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” failed to make a splash at the Christmas box office, debuting to $28 million over the weekend and an estimated $40 million through the four-day holiday weekend.

But Warner Bros. and DC Studio’s “Aquaman 2” has little to boast about beyond its No. 1 spot. The sequel cost $205 million and ranks among the worst debuts of the year for a superhero movie. It’s softer than November’s misfire “The Marvels” ($47 million), which ended its run as the lowest-grossing installment in the history of Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe. “The Marvels” was shocking because it was the rare MCU movie to tumble out of the gate.

By contrast, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” is shaping up to be the fourth of four DC movies this year to crumble at the box office. Already in 2023, “The Flash” ($55 million debut), “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” ($30 million debut) and “Blue Beetle” ($25 million debut) majorly flopped in theaters.

I wonder why… could it have to do with a.) the controversy around one of its co-stars and most importantly b.) how they announced the DCEU was dead a long time ago and thus the movie would not matter one bit?

Smart play WB, smart play ;)

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
And that could be why these films aren't doing as well as they used to. People are just tired of same old cape formula.

WB should be concerned. They're about to fully reboot their DCU and from the looks of it, the public couldn't care less.

A good cape film will do well. The issue is that so many of these recent films are by the numbers or aggressively poorly written/slacktivist-bent to a degree even the average consumer can see and not move past.

The comic movies have become the same as the comics themselves. They care less about telling an interesting story and more about hammering in the writer's moral stances to the the point of brain damage (The Marvels) or are just so aggressively bland that you can't remember a single thing about them (99% of DC films).

What these companies need to do is get a creative team going, set up a 5-10 year plan, and meticulously plan out the films with excellent and unique narratives. We need more Loki/JOKER's and less Aquaman/Marvels.

Sonik

Hollywood will learn the hard way. Enough fucking super hero movies. Make original shit

Here's the problem, Hollywood seems to have purged all competent writers and replaced them with pretentious retards who are only able to write the most milquetoast generic shit in the history of human existence so it's a problem that will take years to fix as Hollywood will keep sinking lower and lower

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I don’t get this attitude. We really can’t watch self contained stories without knowing there’s some connected follow up?
That's like reading a random comic in a multi book story line. Disney and WB wanted their connected universes, than people are going to handle them as one.

If there was a new comic book run but DC says that the run isn't going to be finished but replaced by something new... who would buy into the comic?

Super heroes are over and it was called years ago. I can’t even delight in this, I just worry about 30+ year olds that hang on.

The reality is the kids who fueled the engine will see this as kid shit until it is time to relive their glory days.

Hope that was worth still putting Amber in that shit.
from what I read she barely has any screen time and even then she barely has any dialogue. My guess is that they couldn't cut her out completely without neutering the story. And also, she can't sue since she's technically still in the movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It hurts, I enjoyed the last 4 DC flicks quite a bit, but wow are they just overly expensive. All of them could have been done for 100 mill or less.

By way of contrast, I think Shang-Chi and Ant-man 3 were the only Marvel project/films I watched to completion since Endgame. The MCU is dead to me.

Kenpachii

To much controversy around this movie with amber. They should have made a clear statement and sacked her.

Also the trailer didn't made me feel like this was a movie i would want to watch.

Sonik

They make original shit. No one sees it (The Creator). Theaters are dying.

The Creator was a boring af movie with the most generic script ever and a terrible cast, Washington especially is an uncharismatic talentless hack that only became an actor because of his dad. It's because of movies like The Creator that for the first time in my life I'm not excited to watch sci-fi anymore

The only good thing I have to say about the movie is that it has rare District 9 tier CGI that blends perfectly with the environment which is funny considering the movie was relatively low budget

Last edited:
Btw that's only half the story, streaming services are losing money too which means Hollywood in general is dying
Hollywood screwed up big time deciding they wanted to chase Netflix into streaming instead of doing what they were good at. They will be feeling the results of that mistake for years to come

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Super heroes are over and it was called years ago. I can’t even delight in this, I just worry about 30+ year olds that hang on.

The reality is the kids who fueled the engine will see this as kid shit until it is time to relive their glory days.

What? It was adults LIKE US (geeks and nerds) who fueled it! Not kids! Iron Man 1 was NOT for little kids! Neither was The Incredible Hulk or Captain America: The First Avenger.

Some of y'all need to stop lying... These were never stories for little kids! We're all geeks and nerds here! Many of us are comic book geeks!

Top Bottom