• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Aquaman 2’ Sinks With $40 Million Debut

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For the next few years the only superhero movies that will do big numbers will be those built around established franchise characters that are bigger perceptually than comic books. e.g. Spiderman, Batman, Superman. Or who are fronted by a legitimate established star who can supplement the status of the role they play. e.g Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, etc.

Other than that. Give the fuck up, its over, and its only downhill from here.
Going by past performance, secondary characters have had big movie sales... Aquaman 1, Antman, I dont think anyone knew about the GotG franchise etc...

But recently, some of these movies petered out a lot. But the core IPs like Spidey and Batman still make a ton.

Maybe it has nothing to do with movie reviews or woke or anything like that. Maybe it's just tons of people wanting to try out watching new characters, but inherently know it's not going to be a long term interest.

It's like me occasionally buying expensive good sports tix, or buying some weird loaf of bread because that week I felt like something new. I'm not going to buy it all the time because I'm creature of habit. After I enjoy my level 100 seat or loaf of artisan raisin bread, it's back to the normal stuff (like Batman and Spiderman).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The way I see it, they've completely lost sight of the appeal of the product.

It's just a formula at this point, essentially, establish a pretext for spectacular wish-fulfilment fantasy, stick a comic-branding on it and call it done.

Its beyond stupid how things have gotten; there is no hook to most of these minor comic-book character movies!

Or am I missing something?

Marvel14

Banned
Deadpool 2 wasn't even memorable and now that the Disney morons are involved I doubt 3 will be any better
Yes it was. Deadpool's xmen force and Brad Pitt's millisecond cameo were pretty bloody funny. As was the start of the film. The bad guy traumatised boy villain was ok...could have been better but overall it was decent entertainment.

Considering that Free Guy was also pretty good and a Disney film, I'm sure Ryan Reynolds will keep the quality at least decent.

Last edited:

Billbofet

You're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't think Disney will make it the softest R rating imaginable. The strap-on pegging/baby hand wank jokes are a thing of the past.
I agree. Also, the only R-rated movie to crack 1B is Joker. That was at peak capeshit love (2019) and it was a unique take on a massively popular character. I didn't really care for it, but I see why it did so well.
DP3 I think will do well, but not nearly as well as its previous movies, but who knows.....

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The way I see it, they've completely lost sight of the appeal of the product.

It's just a formula at this point, essentially, establish a pretext for spectacular wish-fulfilment fantasy, stick a comic-branding on it and call it done.

Its beyond stupid how things have gotten; there is no hook to most of these minor comic-book character movies!

Or am I missing something?

The original Aquaman film was beyond stupid and extremely formulaic too. It still grossed over a billion dollars. Audiences just lost interest over time as novelty has worn off. Not sure quality is as much a factor as you’re implying; thats giving general audiences too much credit lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The original Aquaman film was beyond stupid and extremely formulaic too. It still grossed over a billion dollars. Audiences just lost interest over time as novelty has worn off. Not sure quality is as much a factor as you’re implying; thats giving general audiences too much credit lol

The impact of quality dropping is only really apparent after the fact. People will give a new thing a chance based on how they felt about the last associated experience. And conversely as the more often they emerge non-plussed or disappointed the more they need to be actively sold on why they should give the next entry in the franchise a shot.

Right now, comic book movies really need to actively sold; i.e. offer compelling characters and stories beyond standard genre formats and conventions.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
UelTqD6.gif

The hits just keep on coming. What's next? Rey?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We’ll see how far downward all these hero movies go. All these second rate hero’s are getting slammed in sales the past year or so.

When the next time Spider-Man, batman, avengers etc… come out the test will be how good they hold up,

If they still do great, just means people are tired of shitty character movies and not all hero movies as a whole. But perhaps even the big franchises will slip. Who knows.

jason10mm

Gold Member
cgi. I guess my cousin and me are the exact same person?
In this case yes. There were entire stretches of AQ2 that were undoubtedly 100% CGI, basically a computer game cut scene. I don't think terminology in this case is worth arguing over.

With something like Avatar I think there is some more leeway to distinguish between filmmaking techniques and computer cinematics but AQ2 was just straight unreal engine 5 level stuff, and even that is being generous.

Anyone hear what happened to the rumored Keaton/Affleck Batman scenes? We talked about it back in summer 2022 (and wow, my dis of House of Dragons over Rings of Power....did not age well :p but was it all BS or just cut out? AQ2 feels like it was edited with a dull hatchet, curious if it gets an extended cut on streaming.

jason10mm

Gold Member
We’ll see how far downward all these hero movies go. All these second rate hero’s are getting slammed in sales the past year or so.

When the next time Spider-Man, batman, avengers etc… come out the test will be how good they hold up,

If they still do great, just means people are tired of shitty character movies and not all hero movies as a whole. But perhaps even the big franchises will slip. Who knows.
I think they are all going down. Most of them (maybe Joker/Joker 2 and nu-Batman aside just due to their tone) are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo formulaic at this point. Not regarding the plot, in that respect a lot of these capeshit films are just junk and would benefit from a classic 3 act structure with proper foreshadowing, but just in terms of the feel of the film. They all kinda look the same, the effects and over-use of CG are just bland white noise at this point, the humor beats are all kinda similar, and most importantly, the actors they hire are charisma sucks of the first order. I don't know what kinda magic dust they were snorting that got them those early casts and now they can't replicate ANY of that chemistry. DC straight shit on all the actors they had that worked and Marvel can't hire a likable actor and pair them with an appropriate character to save their soul. Something is fundamentally broken in the system.

Fake

I love this paradox where everyone on Twitter apparently supports Amber, but nobody go to watch her movies, is like 'I gonna support you with words only'.

Remember decades ago how popular cowboy movies and shows were? They were everywhere and you couldn't switch on a TV channel or go to the movies without something about cowboys coming up. Eventually that trends died out.

It's the same with superhero movies. It's going the route of the cowboy and Western and eventually people are going to get burned out of it.

DC went completely downhill after the Nolan Batman movies and Marvel ate their lunch for years and they could never recover or replicate what made the MCU movies work well together. Mostly bad casting (Lex) and mostly bad plots.
Even MCU can't replicate what made those movies great before.

Vyse

Gold Member
Movie was pretty disappointing. Was surprised how much Turd was in it. Enjoyed the first one. This was kinda mid and a sad end to the old DC universe. Hoping Gunn can get it back on track. Make a good movie and people will see it.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I liked the first Aquaman. I was expecting the second part to be a complete disaster. But it was totally watchable. Sure, it was significantly worse, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be everywhere. And Dc has once again run out of money for CGI effects. Some of it just looked cheap.

And the final boss, what was that? The shortest fight in movie history? It was over after 1 second.

Had free tickets to see it.

That's time I will never get back. Can't even say I sort of enjoyed it.

Part 1 is so much better. Didn't expect Amber Turd to have so many scenes in this one.

Thank God the DCEU is over. I'm so burned out on Superhero movies that I'm not even looking forward to Superman Legacy and that looks to have a great cast.

Is it worse than The Flash?

In my opinion, its worse.

Its so bad I have no desire to rewatch either movie.

My partner is not into superhero stuff and even she said it was trash. Like I said before, she won free tickets for this movie at her job so we went to go see it days after it came out. Normally we'd go see movies on opening night, this is the first time we waited more than a week go see a big blockbuster movie.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Still did way better than the Marvels in box office lol

Close to 400 mill lifetime looks like, not that bad at all tbh given reviews and expectations maybe even breaking even given minimal marketing budget?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
That’s what Jason Mamoa gets for telling everybody not to go to Maui after the fires, when what Maui needed more than anything, was tourists…. because the economy crumbled in the two months after because of people like him yelling at people like us to cancel our vacations.

Eighty percent of Maui’s economy comes from tourists. He killed that shit!!!

Just because there was a fire on the northwest coast doesn’t mean people couldn’t vacation in/on the south, in the middle in/on the east, or to the north.

The average restaurant worker’s hours were cut from 40 hours a week to 16 hours a week for eight weeks following Jason Momoa yapping.

Jinzo Prime

That’s what Jason Mamoa gets for telling everybody not to go to Maui after the fires, when what Maui needed more than anything, was tourists…. because the economy crumbled in the two months after because of people like him yelling at people like us to cancel our vacations.

Eighty percent of Maui’s economy comes from tourists. He killed that shit!!!

Just because there was a fire on the northwest coast doesn’t mean people couldn’t vacation in/on the south, in the middle in/on the east, or to the north.

The average restaurant worker’s hours were cut from 40 hours a week to 16 hours a week for eight weeks following Jason Momoa yapping.
Ge's not the only one, The Rock was saying that shit too. Complete misunderstanding of economics.

Kenpachii

Watched it.

Honestly how heard is still in this shit, is just annoying the living shit out of me. they should have just replaced her entirely. The scenes where also terrible.

The main actor didn't feel like he wanted to be in the movie, nothing felt like it had any debt towards it.

Story is garbage entirely, felt really like the last star wars movie, just a rollercoaster of a disney ride that u aren't interesting in.

Global warming the movie.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The movie is at $400M global sales. It's still going. Maybe it tops out at $450M or so. The first AQ movie in 2018 did $1.1 billion.

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $114,814,090 Details
International Box Office $283,400,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $398,214,090

Toots

Gold Member
Yes, but that's next morning. So smash that all night and then bail before she wakes up.
there will still be shit in your bed when you come back tho...
The only way is to pay a suite in any 5 star hotel in your city (because you know she won't settle for less), and im pretty sure that for the same price you can pay a much more beautiful girl (although not a celebrity) to do whatever you want with, shit-in-your-bed free !

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I stopped watching. They went in to get the whateverclium, and suddenly they were in Atlantis wha whaaa whaaaaat?

It's like they don't care anymore to have any pieces of the puzzle fit together, they just shoehorn shit together.

Top Bottom