• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Aquaman 2’ Sinks With $40 Million Debut

Go_Ly_Dow

I guess the next big question is…Where does Hollywood go from here?!
If Barbie and Oppenheimer were huge hits and Super Hero movies aren’t making their budgets back, where do the studios pivot to? Go back to smaller budget movies that rely on practical effects and real locations?
The next step is remaking movies that don't need remaking, such as The Lord of the Rings and others. Originality is the thing they'll try last if all else fails.

My partner won 2 free tickets in a competition at work to go see this and I really don't want to go.

I'm super burned out on all superhero movies. I'm not even keen to watch the new upcoming Superman Legacy.

Better movies are out there to watch than this dump.

F39qCC3WsAAzi__.jpg:large

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
only super fan left. We are here!
Not really. We still see well made movies positioned well succeed, we are seeing less trashy ones carried away by the wave yes.

Ant-Man 3’s problem was not lack of kids watching it. The Marvels problem was not lack of kids watching it. Han Solo’s problem was not lack of kids watching it. The Last Jedi’s and Rise of the Skywalker’s problems were not lack of appeal to kids nor Star Wars fatigue. Thor: Love and Thunder’s problem was not lack of kids appeal or cape fatigue.

Those movies were quite flawed and some a bit terrible, created by companies that put checkboxes on a spreadsheet crossing the threshold of how much shit the audience will go through before growing tired of the movie or franchise for a while.

So no, I am not down with the cape fatigue excuse.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
where do the studios pivot to? Go back to smaller budget movies that rely on practical effects and real locations?

That’s the last thing they’ll do. You can’t skim off the top for your coke habit if you’re only using small budgets. And practical FX and location shooting are HARD. You have to actually make an effort and care about creating a compelling movie. Spending actual money and a lot of effort on the movie isn’t what the shareholders want.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That’s the last thing they’ll do. You can’t skim off the top for your coke habit if you’re only using small budgets. And practical FX and location shooting are HARD. You have to actually make an effort and care about creating a compelling movie. Spending actual money and a lot of effort on the movie isn’t what the shareholders want.

Or they can just lie to people about using practical effects and the Internet will believe them. It worked with JJ Abrams and The Force Awakens. He spent the years leading up to the movie claiming they'd be using practical effects, when there were ZERO models built for the movie and it was entirely CG.

Dane

Not really. We still see well made movies positioned well succeed, we are seeing less trashy ones carried away by the wave yes.

Ant-Man 3’s problem was not lack of kids watching it. The Marvels problem was not lack of kids watching it. Han Solo’s problem was not lack of kids watching it. The Last Jedi’s and Rise of the Skywalker’s problems were not lack of appeal to kids nor Star Wars fatigue. Thor: Love and Thunder’s problem was not lack of kids appeal or cape fatigue.

Those movies were quite flawed and some a bit terrible, created by companies that put checkboxes on a spreadsheet crossing the threshold of how much shit the audience will go through before growing tired of the movie or franchise for a while.

So no, I am not down with the cape fatigue excuse.
There's definetely a cape fatigue, too many movies being released in a short time frame and Marvel did a major use of that by the MCU third phase where you had two movies running at theaters, couple that with them all following the same "family friendly" formula and the latest releases being poorly received. Joker and The Batman were major successes for deviating the formula.

T-0800

Or they can just lie to people about using practical effects and the Internet will believe them. It worked with JJ Abrams and The Force Awakens. He spent the years leading up to the movie claiming they'd be using practical effects, when there were ZERO models built for the movie and it was entirely CG.

Compare that to the Phantom Menace where they made a ton of models and people didn't believe them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's definetely a cape fatigue, too many movies being released in a short time frame and Marvel did a major use of that by the MCU third phase where you had two movies running at theaters, couple that with them all following the same "family friendly" formula and the latest releases being poorly received. Joker and The Batman were major successes for deviating the formula.
Cape fatigue generated by questionable material / low quality. Let’s be real…

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sister?
Is she portrayed as strong and independent?
More just brash, impulsive, and idiotic, guised as strong and independent.

Her sour "anti-colonialist/captialist/everything else" attitude keeps her working menial jobs and being a drag on the family. Then there is the uncle, driving around in a tricked out king cab worth probably 80K+ while his brother, struggling to make ends meet, still puts a roof over his head. Even the main character, gets his degree, but apparently has ZERO idea of job placement, career fairs, internships, or anything post college.

It's a wierd way to depict a Mexican family, to be honest, though the other aspects of it are pretty spot on. BB ain't great but is pretty fun.

Last edited:
I don't think it's cape fatigue, or people being burnt out on superheroes, but merely this looked terrible. People can sniff out quality. As for the next move in Hollywood, video game movies. It's been fairly clear with Mario, Zelda, Minecraft, Grand Turismo, Borderlands, then you have tv shows like Fallout, The Last of Us, Halo, Twisted Metal, and so on. It's clearly the next big thing.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
My partner won 2 free tickets in a competition at work to go see this and I really don't want to go.

I'm super burned out on all superhero movies. I'm not even keen to watch the new upcoming Superman Legacy.

Are you sure it's not mediocre movie fatigue?

So if the movie is GREAT... like EVERYONE thinks it's a great movie, critics and filmgoers alike, you STILL won't watch it because it's superheroes? I can understand not wanting to watch mediocre or BAD movies... that can tire anyone out... but a GREAT movie? hmmm...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's like reading a random comic in a multi book story line. Disney and WB wanted their connected universes, than people are going to handle them as one.

If there was a new comic book run but DC says that the run isn't going to be finished but replaced by something new... who would buy into the comic?
Isn’t a random comic book more like watching a single TV episode and not like how a movie is created?

Outside of specific cases they solve the problem at hand in most comic book movies, they often only use those dumb after credits scenes to hint at something in the future.

I feel the same way about cancelled TV shoes, an entire season of TV is still worth watching even if the show is cancelled. The “next season” existing isn’t required to make a TV season worth watching to me.

Now if they made 1 episode and quit? Sure probably not worth watching.

Last edited:

DKehoe

you've never seen deadpool? Those movies (especially the first) are AWESOME!
I have yeh. I liked the first, although not as much as a lot of people seem to. I thought the second was diminishing returns and Ryan Reynolds building his public persona and a bunch of his subsequent roles around that type of character has made it feel played out to me at this point. The videos of cosplay Deadpools haven't helped either. The "did that just happen?" irreverent style of writing has also flooded the genre.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have yeh. I liked the first, although not as much as a lot of people seem to. I thought the second was diminishing returns and Ryan Reynolds building his public persona and a bunch of his subsequent roles around that type of character has made it feel played out to me at this point. The videos of cosplay Deadpools haven't helped either. The "did that just happen?" irreverent style of writing has also flooded the genre.
That is all a part of the Deadpool character. He (Deadpool) was a giant psychopath meme lord who was about life imitates art imitates life.

Denton

I like Momoa, but still, glad it flops. All superhero nonsense needs to flop so studios can start investing into actual films instead.

No wait, instead they will start ruining videogame franchises. Never mind, please superhero movies, be successful!

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like everything post endgame (Including DC movies) has just been a giant, horrible, way to long epilogue to the super hero "decade". Its finally about over. Don't get me wrong, I loved the MCU till end game, I just think the world should move on now, we can come back to it again in 10-20 years with fresh stories and such. But for now, time to walk away.

AREYOUOKAY?

DC went completely downhill after the Nolan Batman movies and Marvel ate their lunch for years and they could never recover or replicate what made the MCU movies work well together. Mostly bad casting (Lex) and mostly bad plots.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont follow superhero movies, but the trend lately seems a lot of stuff is getting bad reviews and making less money. But the recent Batman flick made a ton.

I think even big comic book fans are burnt out from second tier characters. Although amazingly, Aquaman 1 made a shit load of money and it got ok reviews. But that was 5 years ago.

Some of you brought up Amber Heard. I dont know if that would make a difference. I dont think all the news about her would influence Aquaman 2 making bad money so far when the first movie made $1.2B gate receipts.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I had no idea Man of Steel was basically a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer

In a profile published by The Atlantic, Nolan said Snyder’s influence on cinema is so dominant that part of his touch can be felt in any “superhero science-fiction film coming out these days.” Nolan served as a producer on Snyder’s “Man of Steel” (2013), which was based on a story Nolan cracked with his “Dark Knight” trilogy co-writer David S. Goyer. Nolan and Snyder have remained friends ever since.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Marvel14

Banned
Here's the problem, Hollywood seems to have purged all competent writers and replaced them with pretentious retards who are only able to write the most milquetoast generic shit in the history of human existence so it's a problem that will take years to fix as Hollywood will keep sinking lower and lower
I bet Deadpool 3 will buck the trend....

Alebrije

Superhero movies are now the 80s action movies Made by Stallone, Arnold Z, Vandame, Steven D...

Basically You know the outcome ( Good wins vs Evil). Most action scenes /fights are the same, Plot/story does not matters, most of them have the same old Jokes, funny moments are cringe. Actors are B tier Quality...as someone said, "name a super héroe movie actor that has done different great movies".

superhero movies are done for fun and produce tons of money...no fun no money...end of story.

Sybrix

Saturation is the word.

There are so many from Marvel, DC, Sony etc, most are mediocre crap.

DC has always been complete shite (Omitting TDK)

Sony's efforts have been laughable. Venom was ok, that's as good as they got.

Marvel obviously won the superhero war but the last 5 years they've been pumping out sub-standard movies/tv shows and for the casual superhero fan, you get bored and cant be bothered with it anymore.

I'm a filthy casual, loved Avengers, Spiderman, GOTG...... still haven't seen GOTG3 because by that time i was done with superhero movies.

Deadpool 3 is only going to be watched because of Wolverine, if he wasnt in it no way would i watch it, and i will probably wait for it to come to Disney+, wont even bother going to the cinema.

For me, less is more and the stuff that is released, it should go the way of the Dark Knight and Logan, darker, moodier & more mature. But that's never going to happen.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
If you're 9.

That's a ridiculous take. Both previous movies were rated R... Ryan Reynolds was the perfect person to play the merc with a mouth... These are hard R movies... And it's been confirmed that Deadpool 3 is Rated R as well.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's a ridiculous take. Both previous movies were rated R... Ryan Reynolds was the perfect person to play the merc with a mouth... These are hard R movies... And it's been confirmed that Deadpool 3 is Rated R as well.
Just because there's blood, violence and adult language doesn't make a movie mature. Both movies are infantile and the jokes look like they are written by 13yo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For the next few years the only superhero movies that will do big numbers will be those built around established franchise characters that are bigger perceptually than comic books. e.g. Spiderman, Batman, Superman. Or who are fronted by a legitimate established star who can supplement the status of the role they play. e.g Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, etc.

Other than that. Give the fuck up, its over, and its only downhill from here.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Does this recent trend of superhero movies failing mean people are finally sick of going to see the same thing over and over?

Top Bottom