• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summon Night 5 English Gameplay Trailer

Takao

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzngEtR5itQ

Gaijinworks has extended the pre-order campaign for the UMD+PSN voucher physical release of the game to September 7th.

jP6PqNx.jpg
Purchase page: http://www.gaijinworks.com/SN5_presale_live.htm

If you want to see the PSV/PS4 Summon Night 6 in the west, supporting this is really your only choice.

Verelios

Ordered mine already. I'm currently swamped with games so I won't dl and play it now but I'll check it out soon.

Soulstar

I'm glad that the pre-order campaign was extended. August has been hell on my wallet and I was afraid I wouldn't have been able to get this.

It's very hard to be interested in a PSP game at this point.

I'll look into picking this up on a sale eventually.

People buy retro games (on two decades old platforms) and retro style games like Shovel Knight, Retro City Rampage, ... all the time. Often some of those retro games fetch really high prices too. So what exactly makes it so much harder to buy a PSP game than say a SNES one?

This one you can even play on your Vita because of the included download code...

I didn't even know we were getting this. Hell, just yesterday I saw some images of Summon Night 6 and went "damn that game looks good."

Guess I'll consider picking this up digitally. Hopefully we get SN6

Now that is a great gameplay trailer, I hope it convinces more people.

It may not have convinced me, but considering I'd never really heard of this series before, I'm very interested now. Seems like a good place to jump into the series too, considering very few of the others were localized. Probably going to pick this up off PSN when it launches.

Looks awesome. The only Summon Night games that I've play were the ones on the GBA which were more of a action RPG but I can't wait to try this game out :)

vireland

How's the gameplay outside battles? Menu-driven exploration?

There is a flat map with locations that pop up with markers. You can run from place to place or hop straight from one to the other using the L/R shoulder buttons. Each location marker can have 1-4 people to interact with. There are permanent locations and other markers that come and go. There are 16 Chapters (0-15) + the endings, and some chapters have more locations to check out than others. I'll try to push out a gameplay flow video next week that shows this, dialogue, and the fishing minigame.

Shizuka

It won't be before the physical ships, so 8 weeks from the close of the presale is the estimate. This is assuming we don't have any issues with Sony QA that require resubmissions.

From November onwards, then. Any word on price for the digital version and how are sales going so far?

There is a flat map with locations that pop up with markers. You can run from place to place or hop straight from one to the other using the L/R shoulder buttons. Each location marker can have 1-4 people to interact with. There are permanent locations and other markers that come and go. There are 16 Chapters (0-15) + the endings, and some chapters have more locations to check out than others. I'll try to push out a gameplay flow video next week that shows this, dialogue, and the fishing minigame.

Thanks!

Would have preferred OG Growlanser, if I had a choice of any untranslated games on PSP by even fan translations. But I'll take what I can get. How deep is the SRPG combat in this? Is it on the level of a Sting SRPG with crazy amount of depth or is it really lite and easy to pick up and play?

vireland

Would have preferred OG Growlanser, if I had a choice of any untranslated games on PSP by even fan translations. But I'll take what I can get. How deep is the SRPG combat in this? Is it on the level of a Sting SRPG with crazy amount of depth or is it really lite and easy to pick up and play?

Well, Atlus Japan isn't licensing out Growlanser anymore, so that's a pipe dream for both of us for the present.

Summon Night 5 depth is really kind of both. You can play it on Easy and it's pick up and play, or you can play on normal and there are lots of options like Summon Assists, Party Skills, and weapon modifiers you collect from other battles, the shop, and the fishing minigame that you can use at the blacksmith to customize your weapons. You can also choose how to advance your character's usable skills with BP (brave point) distribution. And even on Normal, you can still ignore the extra stuff and get through the game by powering through battles, but you'll miss out on the best ratings because you need to do the deeper stuff if you want to achieve all of each battle's stated objectives and get the most brave points.

Well, Atlus Japan isn't licensing out Growlanser anymore, so that's a pipe dream for both of us for the present.

Summon Night 5 depth is really kind of both. You can play it on Easy and it's pick up and play, or you can play on normal and there are lots of options like Summon Assists, Party Skills, and weapon modifiers you collect from other battles, the shop, and the fishing minigame that you can use at the blacksmith to customize your weapons. You can also choose how to advance your character's usable skills with BP (brave point) distribution. And even on Normal, you can still ignore the extra stuff and get through the game by powering through battles, but you'll miss out on the best ratings because you need to do the deeper stuff if you want to achieve all of each battle's stated objectives and get the most brave points.

Well that sucks. Atlus have been doing some questionable stuff for me as of late. They're obsessed with Persona and don't give the rest of their IPs the time of day anymore.

What are units like? Is there different jobs/units and plenty of different enemy types. Does the map terrain and weather make any difference? How are the weapons? Are they all just blades or is there a good variety of guns too? Is there any chance of characters teaming up like in Ragnarok Tactics? Since Ragnarok Tactics is the style this game is giving off at the moment. Is there branching story paths or is it linear?

vireland

Well that sucks. Atlus have been doing some questionable stuff for me as of late. They're obsessed with Persona and don't give the rest of their IPs the time of day anymore.

What are units like? Is there different jobs/units and plenty of different enemy types. Does the map terrain and weather make any difference? How are the weapons? Are they all just blades or is there a good variety of guns too? Is there any chance of characters teaming up like in Ragnarok Tactics? Since Ragnarok Tactics is the style this game is giving off at the moment. Is there branching story paths or is it linear?

If you check out the trailer, you can see some of the weapons in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzngEtR5itQ

There are guns, daggers, swords, rods, staffs, spears, etc, but they're pretty locked down by type of character you choose. Most characters can choose from two types of weapons, and their job is set by the story, but you can pick which ones you want from your pool of characters at the beginning of each battle. Terrain does make a difference (you can also see that in the trailer when Yeng-hua, the girl in black and burgundy, moves), but there are no weather modifiers.

Characters team up in SN5 via Summon Assists. Before you do a summon, you can hit square on all the party members nearby in the range indicated and it will add range or power or other things to your summon (which is the magic of this game). Even characters who have used their turn can help your summons with summon assist.

Story is linear, but it uses affinity, so you can get one of more than a dozen endings (plus the bad one) depending on which character you develop the best affinity with. Some of your things carry over to new game plus, too. If you want to see all the endings, it's easily 100 hours or more of gameplay.

vireland

if we want Summon Night 6, we must support this one, right?

I won't say "must", but this is certainly being watched, so it will help immensely. And besides, there's a lot of content in SN5 that will help make SN6 more enjoyable to play. It's a deep universe, and SN5 touches on many aspects of it.

vireland

Here's the current ranking of the UMD art voting for Summon Night 5. First row is #1 and #2, second is #3 and #4, etc. You can vote for your favorites on the @gaijinworks twitter feed and also by clicking on your favorite on the gaijinworks website.

COAgsj3VAAAaqIJ.jpg

Half a day left to get your order in:

GAIJINWORKS ‏@gaijinworks 5 min.

A little over 12 hours left before the physical+digital presale for Summon Night 5 closes. After that digital is the only purchase option.

vireland

Presale closes tonight at 11:59PM PDT, but the UMD voting will run until next Monday, so you can still vote for your favorite art at gaijinworks.com with a retweet until we have to go to art approvals.

Top Bottom