• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Gameplay Footage [Up: Official Trailer released!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theecliff

Banned
This is looking good. Some of the gameplay actually reminds me a bit of inFamous with the traversal.

Aside from a few clunky animations/transitions in the movement, the art style looks pretty damned great in motion too.
Loved that the huge mushroom cloud explosion formed the word 'boom'.

RAD really have squandered an important first impression. Now they have to rebuild hype at E3.

I'm still hyped for the Order. How'd they squander it? I was under the impression thay what they showed was supposed to be just a teaser, not quite an info blowout like SO right nkw. I may be wrong though

Looks fun in a crackdown sort of way, but the bad and janky animations are pretty jarring, maybe even more so because of the art style. This style is begging for super fluid, smooth, over the top animations. Hopefully that improves significantly.

The key will be making the traversal and controls fun. A game like crackdown was pretty limited and repetitive in terms of content but the controls were just good and responsive enough to make stuff like hunting for agility orbs really compelling .

I'm assuming this is going to have dedicated servers and not be peer hosted. Has this been said anywhere?

I don't know if has been confirmed, but I assume the game will be using cloud compute for the online portion considering it's supposed to be constantly evolving world or something like that. I want multiplayer details now dammit.

Endo Punk

I'm still pissed off that in a entire gen, Insomniac didn't release anything remotely as fun as what this game seems to be, yet on their first try on a MS platform. BAM.

Goddamn it Insomniac. GODDAMN IT.

Personally I don't think Sony ever gave them the opportunity. They were never treated as well as the owned studios as their games were just seen as padding out the library, that's why they never got a good enough budget for proper dev time.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
gah, that spanish clip obviously just capped GI this morning (also, gah) and obviously dropped a lot of frames when capping there.

not representative, and obviously we're getting it pulled.

we have a great video for monday that shows more stuff.

glad folks dug what they got a sneak peak at tho

T.O.P

Banned
gah, that spanish clip obviously just capped GI this morning (also, gah) and obviously dropped a lot of frames when capping there.

Can't freakin wait!

noobasuar

Banned
I'm still pissed off that in a entire gen, Insomniac didn't release anything remotely as fun as what this game seems to be, yet on their first try on a MS platform. BAM.

Goddamn it Insomniac. GODDAMN IT.

I don't get this. Some of the R&C games were awesome as hell on the PS3.

samman6

All the reactions In this thread go to show that art style is probably the biggest driving force of a games reception. Imagine this same game with a brown gritty realistic take, I bet most the comments would be a lot different, and a lot more negative. I am also in the same camp as most here, thinking this looks really good.

Endo Punk

I'm still hyped for the Order. How'd they squander it? I was under the impression thay what they showed was supposed to be just a teaser, not quite an info blowout like SO right nkw. I may be wrong though

2 minutes of standard unimpressive gameplay. QTE and visual talk with lots of dark cutscenes. The February event was the first time critics got to see it and it just didn't blow anyone away.

The liquid pouring out of the silo is like the best liquid I've seen in a game.

QPBVYFB.jpg

I don't think that is pouring out of the silo. If you look at his weapon its a harpoon gun with a 20 oz of the overcharge drink attach. I think this is some sort of a distraction gun that draws the OD'd to the spill. You can a little of this in the video when he shoots the car and a couple of enemies run and start drinking up the overcharge.

Kagutaba

Not quite sure it would be Uncharted at that point :p

Shush! I'm a dreaming...

And Prince of Persia's traversal system and platforming would also work really well in Uncharted seeing their shared Tomb Raider legacy. Hell Drake already got some of the prince's moves... just not enough of them.
GIVE ME WALL RUN, IN EVERYTHING, NOW!

This is the only game to make me consider getting a One.

Can someone answer, is a live subscription required to play games? I don't want to pay for two online subs at the same time this gen.

Personally I don't think Sony ever gave them the opportunity. They were never treated as well as the owned studios as their games were just seen as padding out the library, that's why they never got a good enough budget for proper dev time.

More importantly, I think working on an IP they own completely is much more motivating than working on an IP someone else owns.

I still hope Ratchet is given to another dev though, Insomniac has treated that IP like trash and it deserves better

nbraun80

ha figured GI was a goof when you told us video would come later. The spanish vid is definitely lower quality. It looks great though, looking forward to monday now. :)

Chettlar

Banned
WHOA. It DOES look better than the E3 trailer! HTF?

Looks great.

But is that our set character or can we create our own? I was under the impression that you can create your character, but now that we know that the single player is a seperate thing from multi i'm not sure anymore.
Hope you can create one, Saints Row shows that this is the way to go for such games.

Confirmed by jstevenson in the other thread. Yes, for single player.

Gbraga

Is this the glorious return to 60fps Insomniac we've been waiting for?

Probably not, but the game does looks pretty gorgeous, I like how the platforming seems to be fast and have momentum, and the combat bits remind me of Ratchet.

I hope the skyrails don't have only one speed, I hate when you lose all your momentum by using those kinds of things.

Silky

Banned
This is the only game to make me consider getting a One.

Can someone answer, is a live subscription required to play games? I don't want to pay for two online subs at the same time this gen.

It's odd that in 2014, peeople still believe that a subscription is required to play a game.

But, it's not. Just for online multiplayer.

Lemondish

Just read up a bit more on the title. Why, oh why does this have to be MS exclusive? It looks pretty great.

Oh well, I guess I get to just go back to acting like Insomniac is dead to me. Makes it easier to ignore SO :-(

Am salty.

I was under the impression this was first person. I am infinitely more interested in this game now. Looks pretty nice visually. Way better looking than DR3, not as good as infamous. Animations don't look to hot, though, especially in the main character, but I'll chock that up to the game being unfinished.

Xenon

Actually looks pretty good. Not enough to get me to budge on X1, of course, but it certainly seems Insomniac is going to get out of their mediocre slump of the past few years. Does remind me of a scaled back infamous though (and of course that's not bad since I did love infamous).

Huh, Infamous SS, has a beautifully rendered city but very little to interact within it. SO, is more like a parkour playground. Nothing in that game looks scaled back.

BibiMaghoo

Say what you want about Insomniacs games, but god damn, when they go colorful artstyle, they do it better than anyone else.

statham

Game looks amazing, can't wait until Monday!

nbraun80

It's odd that in 2014, peeople still believe that a subscription is required to play a game.

But, it's not. Just for online multiplayer.
yeah and also if he did want to play online, just keep your eyes open, especially around black friday-type sales, and you can usually get then for $30-40..

Trickster

Game looks pretty. But not really sold on the gameplay. Trailer makes the game look like it's an open world where you just run, slide and jump around killing pink zombies and flying teddy bears in an otherwise empty city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom