• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars. A bust?

HF2014

Been looking at stores, used site like FB marketplace, kijiji, and its a game that seem easily findable. Me, personally, only game im interested in it is Galaxy. They added control in it to play without motion, and its a game iv never played. Wont try to love again Sunshine, its a game i just dont like, and with Mario 64, well it was a ok game, but not remastered at all, guessing there is still the bad ( good for the time but ) camera control. So if i decide to get it, only feel i will get it for Galaxy, but looking at the price, im not just sure im willing to spend as much as a brand new title for this game.

So my looking at whats still available on shelves and everywhere, did this game take off? Im feeling its not as popular as the first All-Stars games on Snes and Wii, and having doubt about putting good money on it. There is no indication that Galaxy will be release separatly, so might be the only chance to get it, but at that price, im really not sure. Perhaps sells didnt go well and we can expect a lower price of it from store clearance?

Woopah

Nintendo sold 5.21 million copies in the first month. It's doing ok in Japan, but in the US it was the 2nd highest launch for any game in 2020, and the 6th biggest launch for any Nintendo published game ever.

Moogle11

Banned

5.21 million seem pretty good, for a flawed (I still like it) remaster collection, I think.

Yeah, have to think they’re happy with those sales to date for a title tjst couldn’t have cost much to develop. Stock being available is no indicator of success it’s rare for games to be hard to find anymore, especially during the holiday shopping season when publishers want everyone who wants to buy it to be able to find a copy.

I enjoyed it as well. It would be a lot better if Mario 64 got a remake, or at least put into 16x9, as thst game hasn’t aged well. But I still had fun playing it for the first time in years. Sunshine mostly looks and plays fine, but just isn’t a game I enjoy much. Galaxy was the main attraction and looks amazing on my 4KTV so I don’t think more needed done to it. The main bummer is Galaxy 2 not being included!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
game sold like hotcakes. if you are waiting for Nintendo to drop price, you'll be waiting a long time.

$60 for three of the greatest games of all time, take it or leave it.

HF2014

Didint saw the sales figure. Kind of impressive, guess it mean its not a bust, and i should not expect a price drop anytime soon. Im seeing some used copy at like 2/3 of the price, guess i should grab it at that price.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't been playing it as much as I want to because I'm waiting for the inverted camera control update. But I did have a good time with it for the little bit I've played it.

Hudo

Yeah, have to think they’re happy with those sales to date for a title tjst couldn’t have cost much to develop. Stock being available is no indicator of success it’s rare for games to be hard to find anymore, especially during the holiday shopping season when publishers want everyone who wants to buy it to be able to find a copy.

I enjoyed it as well. It would be a lot better if Mario 64 got a remake, or at least put into 16x9, as thst game hasn’t aged well. But I still had fun playing it for the first time in years. Sunshine mostly looks and plays fine, but just isn’t a game I enjoy much. Galaxy was the main attraction and looks amazing on my 4KTV so I don’t think more needed done to it. The main bummer is Galaxy 2 not being included!
I completely agree. Those are my main two complaints as well: Super Mario 64 should've gotten a remake, maybe using the Super Mario Odyssey engine. And Super Mario Galaxy 2 should've definitely been included, I still can't imagine why they left that out.
And as an unlockable bonus, I would've included a rom dump of the Super Nintendo Super Mario All-Stars game or something.

AJUMP23

I bought it so I could have the games. It is a good collection but not worth the $60. I wish they would have updated SM64 with graphical improvements and some quality of life enhancements.

Bragr

Banned
Better off playing on original hardware in every instance.
? Sunshine looks like a new game, with the horrendous fog finaly gone, and you don't need the wii-remote playing Galaxy, which is a life saver. Mario 64 might be argued, but Sunshine and Galaxy are the best versions.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
This thread makes me want to play galaxy. I've never finished any of both yet they're so much fun. Alright, let's go and turn on the WiiU :)

Ten_Fold

It’s at 5 million, I can see it doing well over 10 million lifetime sales. Would’ve sold better if they remade 64 imo. Still it’s pretty good for a cash grab.

Moogle11

Banned
And as an unlockable bonus, I would've included a rom dump of the Super Nintendo Super Mario All-Stars game or something.

That wasn't going to happen as they added it to the SNES app for Nintendo Online subscribers and wouldn't want to take away that incentive to subscribe.

Hudo

That wasn't going to happen as they added it to the SNES app for Nintendo Online subscribers and wouldn't want to take away that incentive to subscribe.
Yeah, I know. That's probably why I'll never be in a producer role.... My decisions would minimize profits, lol.

Spokker

Really lazy collection of games but people were starved to play them on a capable portable. I mean, it could have been better but it's okay when Nintendo does it. My wife wanted to play Sunshine while laying down before going to sleep, not hunching in front of the CRT that I keep in the basement.

HF2014

Do people not even do a little bit of research before making threads?

Never. 😉

Sales of the games are quite surprising, but its in term of what you get also for that price that bug me a little. Galaxy is great and for its fan Sunshine got improvement, and Mario 64 well got slammed.My questioning is perhaps toward value of product your getting, some might be happy about it, but some seem just ´ok’ with the offering for that price. I think i will push to get one copy used for like 40-50 CND max, im not seeing myself putting 90$ on it brand new or paying like 75$ used. I just think overall your not getting enough for the full price.

locoghoul

Neo Member
Never. 😉

Sales of the games are quite surprising, but its in term of what you get also for that price that bug me a little. Galaxy is great and for its fan Sunshine got improvement, and Mario 64 well got slammed.My questioning is perhaps toward value of product your getting, some might be happy about it, but some seem just ´ok’ with the offering for that price. I think i will push to get one copy used for like 40-50 CND max, im not seeing myself putting 90$ on it brand new or paying like 75$ used. I just think overall your not getting enough for the full price.
Most used first party titles wont go below 60 CAD. If you happen to see a listing for 50 or less lemme know cause Ill buy for sure

LarknThe4th

Been looking at stores, used site like FB marketplace, kijiji, and its a game that seem easily findable. Me, personally, only game im interested in it is Galaxy. They added control in it to play without motion, and its a game iv never played. Wont try to love again Sunshine, its a game i just dont like, and with Mario 64, well it was a ok game, but not remastered at all, guessing there is still the bad ( good for the time but ) camera control. So if i decide to get it, only feel i will get it for Galaxy, but looking at the price, im not just sure im willing to spend as much as a brand new title for this game.

So my looking at whats still available on shelves and everywhere, did this game take off? Im feeling its not as popular as the first All-Stars games on Snes and Wii, and having doubt about putting good money on it. There is no indication that Galaxy will be release separatly, so might be the only chance to get it, but at that price, im really not sure. Perhaps sells didnt go well and we can expect a lower price of it from store clearance?
Its sold like 5 million copies on less than 2 months......

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The widespread availability of the original NES Mario games has made the first All-Stars completely redundant. And it always had the inferior versions anyway.

3D All-Stars was some of the best time I’ve had with gaming this year. If it just cost €10 less it would be perfect (actually you should get paid to play through the 90% of Sunshine that’s an utter chore, but a 10 bucks discount could do).

i personally have had a ton of fun with it. great to revisit them with easy enough connection to hdmi and better resolution. these are great games that im sure all scored 9 or better when they came out. if people don't buy it, they're really only hurting their selves (assuming they've never played it and enjoy platformers)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Game sold well and a discount on the collection is unlikely. They may release the games separately down the line, but I don’t see them being cheap, probably $29.99 each? Otherwise why would they limit the release of the collection?

Anyway, the quality of the games themselves is an entirely different discussion. Mario 64 controls like absolute trash by today’s standards and the camera is broken. No widescreen support. Also, it’s 720p/30 FPS 👎. Nintendo could’ve have made this one of the best games of the year by remastering the game in Odyssey’s Engine with revamped and responsive controls. But they did not. Very, very low effort affair.

Sunshine was never a good game and the port itself is absolutely lazy; inconsistent frame rates and weirdly uneven level design don’t bode well by today’s standards. It’s occasionally fun but more often frustrating and strange, even by Nintendo’s most eccentric standards.

Galaxy is still utterly brilliant in every sense and one of the best games ever made. This version ups the resolution, and incorporates touch controls for handheld and motion controls for docked. They work reasonably well.

TL;DR - Mario Galaxy is still brilliant but all three games are extremely lazy ports and blatant cash grabs. It may be worth picking up if you want to play Galaxy in 1080p on your couch, but that’s really the only selling point of the collection.

Last edited:

HF2014

Game sold well and a discount on the collection is unlikely. They may release the games separately down the line, but I don’t see them being cheap, probably $29.99 each? Otherwise why would they limit the release of the collection?

Anyway, the quality of the games themselves is an entirely different discussion. Mario 64 controls like absolute trash by today’s standards and the camera is broken. No widescreen support. Also, it’s 720p/30 FPS 👎. Nintendo could’ve have made this one of the best games of the year by remastering the game in Odyssey’s Engine with revamped and responsive controls. But they did not. Very, very low effort affair.

Sunshine was never a good game and the port itself is absolutely lazy; inconsistent frame rates and weirdly uneven level design don’t bode well by today’s standards. It’s occasionally fun but more often frustrating and strange, even by Nintendo’s most eccentric standards.

Galaxy is still utterly brilliant in every sense and one of the best games ever made. This version ups the resolution, and incorporates touch controls for handheld and motion controls for docked. They work reasonably well.

TL;DR - Mario Galaxy is still brilliant but all three games are extremely lazy ports and blatant cash grabs. It may be worth picking up if you want to play Galaxy in 1080p on your couch, but that’s really the only selling point of the collection.

Yeah, its what i see with this package, only Galaxy is interesting. But it dont make me what to play it badly at the price its listed , here im hoping to find a cheaper copy. Maybe Boxing Day might see a special, who knows. Not betting on it, but will hold a bit.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah, its what i see with this package, only Galaxy is interesting. But it dont make me what to play it badly at the price its listed , here im hoping to find a cheaper copy. Maybe Boxing Day might see a special, who knows. Not betting on it, but will hold a bit.
Do you have a PC and/or laptop? Dolphin doesn’t require much power and you can run Mario Galaxy there with some slight tweaks. It will require a little effort, but emulation destroys anything in that collection, including Mario 64 at 60FPS in Widescreen, etc

Mario 64 controls like absolute trash by today’s standards and the camera is broken.

That's flat out wrong. I'm not getting in the merit of how mailed in this collection was, it was very mailed in. But Mario 64 still holds up. The camera is janky and gets jankier as the game progresses. However, the movement is still tremendous and once you get the hang of it you have so much control over Mario. Not being in widescreen and 60 fps is disappointing, but the game didn't need to be revamped more than that.

Faithless83

Banned
It should have flopped as it's forcing an artificial scarcity, but we have "Nintendo can do no wrong" fans to thank for that one.

Imagine how great if this becomes an industry standard. People freak out about how games get delisted years after release, but here we have people supporting it fucking MONTHS after the release.

Congratulations, you are part of the problem and we can point towards you, if some other publisher see the numbers and think "it looks like a good idea".

teezzy

Banned

77aa04797af9f3b8c7f6f7c5c4cda9e9.gif

HF2014

Do you have a PC and/or laptop? Dolphin doesn’t require much power and you can run Mario Galaxy there with some slight tweaks. It will require a little effort, but emulation destroys anything in that collection, including Mario 64 at 60FPS in Widescreen, etc

Yeah, but gaming on PC is dead for me, its just the thing that being able to experience Galaxy on handheld that get me. Played it a little on Wii and disnt felt the gameplay with sensor remote/ joycon. Having the chance to play with with a controller in my hand, id love to give it a chance.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I own both and it's just substantially easier to fire up the Switch and it looks better too.

It's only missing the original controls and the tactile feel of nostalgia in your hands on original hardware.

I actually prefer playing Super Mario 64 and Galaxy on the Switch because that Nintendo 64 controller is ass and I hated waggle.

petran79

Banned
Who tells me Nintendo and others dont do the same like BMW? Nintendo were fined 150mil Euro in 2002 after all.

The company inflated sales by paying dealers to report fake numbers from 2012 to 2016, the SEC alleged in a complaint.

amigastar

Just a question. Is the version of Mario 64 in this collection enhanced with better camera control or is it exactly the same as the N64 version?

Top Bottom