• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t know if I was quite ready to say this first time around, but Delfino Plaza is definitely the best hub world ever. One of the best Mario songs ever. Gorgeous summer aesthetics. Probably an unlimited amount of fun stuff you can do with all the mechanics, jumping all over the town. Lots of little goodies and secrets. Side quests. Entrances to bonus levels. Shines. The whole sewer system.

It straddles the line between a hub world, and an extra regular world.

64’s kicks the imagination and is so atmospheric, and Galaxy’s is just beautiful with that music, but this just has so much gameplay and fun to it.

Silvawuff

Fired up SM64 last night -- it looks super clean and better than I remember it. I'm using a pro controller and I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the controls. I keep unconsciously pushing the right analog stick to adjust the camera and get the annoying camera adjustment whistle to indicate a camera mode change. Not sure if there's some other way I can adjust it to not do that, but it's kinda frustrating. Game is awesome tho!

Last edited:

Arkam

I want this soo bad. But with COVID and the lack of traveling, I know I dont need it....right now. I have not read any reviews (as I have played all these games a few times), sso I have one question. How is Mario Galaxy? PLease tell me you do not have to use the joycons to emulate that DUMB AF wiggle to have mario spin? I hated that on the Wii.

Shaqazooloo

I want this soo bad. But with COVID and the lack of traveling, I know I dont need it....right now. I have not read any reviews (as I have played all these games a few times), sso I have one question. How is Mario Galaxy? PLease tell me you do not have to use the joycons to emulate that DUMB AF wiggle to have mario spin? I hated that on the Wii.
It's mapped to the Y button from what i've heard (haven't gotten to Galaxy yet)

Komatsu

Sunshine is such a great game. I don't know why, but like, the early 2000s had a whole slate of "tropical" themed games (or games that take place in overwhelmingly tropical settings), huh?

All released within 2 years of each other.

GW8kWkA.jpg
gEGHmvk.jpg
0zw8Us5.jpg
Y54hazK.png
ew4qpC9.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just dealt with Pete Pirhana in Sundhine - it’s pretty early but in had to work for that. The controls didn’t exactly help me. It’s good fun but does currently feel like it lacks focus. I’m not totally sold on the fludd gimmick but we’ll see how it goes.

Galaxy is a fucking work of art. Was initially wondering where the platforming was and then you get some cracking stuff. I love the way Nintendo will throw a mechanic at you that is absolutely sublime, that other games would base a whole game around, but Nintendo are so confident that they have other better mechanics they just use it, dump it and move on. So many awesome ideas which never outstay their welcome.

Finally found the ground pound in Galaxy and Sunshine - just use the left trigger.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

You can play with the Pro Controller if you want, but I've been using the joycons because it's better for the pointer stuff. You do NOT have to waggle anymore - just press Y. But you can still waggle if you're feeling nostalgic. That fixed my least favorite thing about Galaxy.

Outside of that, it's a fantastic port - looks and sounds way better than it did before. I'm completely happy with it.

87 Stars in Galaxy now.

I'm enjoying it, although I'm really let down but how motion control focused it is, and how the different areas are small easy challenges and not detailed playgrounds filled with lots to discover.

I'm doing a motion control manta-ray surfing challenge right now and it strikes me that even though I'm holding a pro controller I'm constantly tilting left and right to take corners on the waves, I must look just like my little sister did playing Mario when I was a child...She would swing the controller hard left and right erratically even though the only thing that actually had an effect on movement in the game back then was the d-pad.

Intoxicate

Had to redo all 15 Special Stars in 64 because I skipped the red Switch Star in the beginning and didn’t remember. The last time I had a save with all 120 Stars was when I was a kid and the a friend of my younger sibling deleted that one. Took me forever as a kid to get to 120 so I never touched the game again until now.

Now in Sunshine I have a hard time adjusting to the noninverted shooting/splashing. Why isn’t there an option to switch the aiming???

Intoxicate

My first time playing Mario 64. That game has a nightmarish camera. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it just won't turn even if there's nothing to stop it from moving. The game is fine though.
Think about the camera being Lakitu on it’s cloud behind you. That explains why you can’t move the camera/Lakitu through walls etc.
For me it’s part of the game controlling both Mario and Lakitu.

Nico_D

Think about the camera being Lakitu on it’s cloud behind you. That explains why you can’t move the camera/Lakitu through walls etc.
For me it’s part of the game controlling both Mario and Lakitu.

Fair point and I really like the idea of the camera man being Lakitu. I will probably get used to it the more I play it and learn to adjust my playing style to it.

aaaand maxed out all stars in galaxy. Got 120 stars/shines in all 3 games now.

Great collection. Mario is the goat. These are all classic games at the pinnacle of 3D platforming in their day.

I'm a little surprised to say I like Sunshine the most of the 3 and Galaxy the least. If I recall correctly I thought Galaxy 2 totally blew Galaxy 1 away though, I will have to pray it gets a HD release also.

I'll try and work out my thoughts and feelings about the collection when I do a GotY voting thread post.

EDIT: Shhhhhhit just read there's 121 stars lol. Well...I'll do it later

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's kinda funny that I'm reading endless articles about 4k/60fps while playing mario64. It's a bit of a statement, like sure new graphics cards and xbox/ps5 have better graphics, but obviously that's not necessary to make a game you can't stop playing.

It really is a moment of truth. I’m playing this 20 year old GameCube game that has completely stalled out any other game I’m playing, been a blast and ate up my free time, and looks utterly colorful and beautiful on my 4K TV, upscaled from 1080p.

One has to wonder, are hundreds of developers killing themselves for five years necessary to create a great game? To keep gaming going? Not to mention all the developers that have gone out of business, or resorted to the most boring, risk-adverse games, just because of how much it takes to make them.

Just because I zoom in on Sunshine Mario, and he looks a little blocky, instead of like a perfect CG cartoon, and his surroundings aren’t detailed to the pixel, is that really the end of the world?

Of course, we love amazing visuals, and they add to a game like Odyssey (which definitely is not risk-adverse). There’ll always be a place for that, but one wonders if the single-minded focus on it is healthy or even necessary.

One has to wonder, are hundreds of developers killing themselves for five years necessary to create a great game? To keep gaming going? Not to mention all the developers that have gone out of business, or resorted to the most boring, risk-adverse games, just because of how much it takes to make them.

It's really not sustainable, especially when you spend 5-6 years developing something and the result is a very shallow game where you walk and walk and walk over obsessively composed corridors which you never visit again or through a massive landscape praying to god you'll soon unlock fast travel. The logic is borked.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wow. Okay, definitely crack open a guide when you think you can’t possibly find any more blue coins (the normal ones are fun).

Spraying out the invisible sunshine icons on the beach at Pinna Park? Who in a million years would think to do that? Or even find them? I’m really glad internet guides are so widespread now.

-Arcadia-

Banned
0cKbUxz.jpg

My first ever 100%ed Sunshine level.

Also, I have to say that Sunshine’s water still looks good. I mean, I’m not exactly hoping PS5 games use this exact same implementation, lol, but from an artistic standpoint. I see a lot of other games where the water is miles beyond, but looks more like an undulating solid. Sunshine’s actually looks like water.

I still haven’t seen anything like the heat wave effect either.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
0cKbUxz.jpg

Also, I have to say that Sunshine’s water still looks good. I mean, I’m not exactly hoping PS5 games use this exact same implementation, lol, but from an artistic standpoint. I see a lot of other games where the water is miles beyond, but looks more like an undulating solid. Sunshine’s actually looks like water.

Agreed, that water sold people on the TEV :).

You do hit another good point with the heat wave effect, but this is a case where a more faithful remaster would have changed its implementation to keep the same appearance as it had on the low resolution optimised effect.
As John covered in his excellent DF coverage of the collection, this effect is not quite the same with the much higher resolution rendering and I had the same impression the other day: it looks a bit too clear like geometry warping in front of you while on GCN and old TV’s it looked fuzzier and less defined giving a different look and feel.

Sometimes you need to redo things to keep them looking as they were.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Got to Corona Mountain with 85 shines and noped out after trying the first bit of platforming over the spikes and flames.

I still love Sunshine but I think I’ve seen enough of that one for a while. Maybe the town hub music will get out of my head soon too haha. That tune is such an ear worm!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So M64 Lethal Lava Land is fantastic. The platforming is awesome and it gets absolutely insane once you go into the volcano. The final star for the elevator tour - I lost so many lives and produced such extraordinarily foul and abusive language but it was totally worth it.

Andyliini

Whew, finally beat Sunshine with 100% completion. That took some work, would have taken even longer if I hadn't used a guide for blue coins. It felt like everithing took a long time to do, and since precision platforming was so vital, one failure made you do everything again, adding up the time.

There were on instances I really enjoyed my time, only to be brought back to ground by some stupid decision, that killed the pacing completely. I fully understand why they decided to go into a different direction with Galaxy.

Anyway, I have now done it. It won't haunt me in my backlog again.

Shaqazooloo

71 Shines now, Did my first 100% with Shirena Beach. I like the level and got most of the blue coins without a guide but some of them you would only find them if you sprayed water on everything.

I might 100% the other stages before I start the stage next to Corona Mountain (forgot the name), although I might opt to just get it over and done with.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
0cKbUxz.jpg

Untill you go underwater

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Shifting sands in 64 - am I the only one finding it utterly impossible? Like what the fucking hell do you do to get that first star and how the fuck do you get the wing cap?

Shifting sands in 64 - am I the only one finding it utterly impossible? Like what the fucking hell do you do to get that first star and how the fuck do you get the wing cap?
Triple-jump on the platform in front of the pyramid, get the winged cap, fly anywhere you want/manage.
That first star is by far the easiest to get on that map, all you have to do is fly through the bird then go and grab it.

Top Bottom