• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

Komatsu

The Galaxy and Sunshine ports are good, but it is scandalous that SM64 is but an emulated ROM with some Luna scripts running on top. The unofficial Switch port done by the JITS hacking team, using the leaked source code, plays at 60FPS, true widescreen as well as improved textures. Someone even included higher-poly models for those who dig that kind of thing. They phoned this collection in, huh.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Galaxy and Sunshine ports are good, but it is scandalous that SM64 is but an emulated ROM with some Luna scripts running on top. The unofficial Switch port done by the JITS hacking team, using the leaked source code, plays at 60FPS, true widescreen as well as improved textures. Someone even included higher-poly models for those who dig that kind of thing. They phoned this collection in, huh.

There's a separate tech thread for this topic that - and again, I can't emphasize this enough - nobody cares about.

I’d like to deliver this message to game developers everywhere. Stop making fucking underwater levels. They are shit.

Jolly Roger Bay is probably my favorite level in 64. Such a great mood, it's obviously enhanced by the greatest song ever:

You get this music and that slight fog on top of the water that runs as far as your eyes can see. You dive and you see this massive ship wrecked at the bottom. You see a cave with falling pillars that make this huge echo when they hit the ground.

BONUS ERECTION: that aquarium extra level just floating in space
T7Gp97c.png
T7Gp97c.png
rejoice.png

When people ask what is SOUL in a game, it's this level through and through.

Eevee86

Jolly Roger Bay is probably my favorite level in 64. Such a great mood, it's obviously enhanced by the greatest song ever:

You get this music and that slight fog on top of the water that runs as far as your eyes can see. You dive and you see this massive ship wrecked at the bottom. You see a cave with falling pillars that make this huge echo when they hit the ground.

T7Gp97c.png
T7Gp97c.png
rejoice.png

Great, now I'll be listening to this for the next ten hours.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

T7Gp97c.png
T7Gp97c.png
rejoice.png

The music might be cool but the control is NEVER good in underwater levels - it’s just like wading through treacle. M64 made the tragic mistake of having the ice level as the other 3 star option. Nice work Nintendo. Ice levels are almost as shit as water levels.

carlosrox

Banned
We do need to talk about an issue with SMG that has bugged me since the game came out and for me it's kind of a big deal. They brought back the same glitch in a few parts of Odyssey too.

Mario spins out of control sometimes and it sucks. If you're under a certain planetoid just try and run in 1 direction. Or try to walk slowly in a direction. Mario will totally spin out of control or head in a direction you're not intending.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyone?

Shaqazooloo

We do need to talk about an issue with SMG that has bugged me since the game came out and for me it's kind of a big deal. They brought back the same glitch in a few parts of Odyssey too.

Mario spins out of control sometimes and it sucks. If you're under a certain planetoid just try and run in 1 direction. Or try to walk slowly in a direction. Mario will totally spin out of control or head in a direction you're not intending.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I've had it happen but it's usually on the small planetoids with barely any enemies so it's never been a big deal to me. Never really encountered it on the larger ones.

Edit: Might've misunderstood what you meant...

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I've had it happen but it's usually on the small planetoids with barely any enemies so it's never been a big deal to me. Never really encountered it on the larger ones.

Edit: Might've misunderstood what you meant...

Nah I think you got it. It is usually on the smaller ones where it happens but even before King Kaliente it can happen as well. Just before you reach the top portion of the planet, try to move slowly or run across to the right. Mario won't just run in one direction. His movement breaks. If you walk slowly it breaks even easier and he will completely spin out in weird ways.

I just wish this bug didn't exist. Odyssey brought it back in a few spots as well. Try to walk along the edges of buildings in New Donk and the same thing will happen.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
This collection reminds me we never, ever got a true sequel to Mario 64.

While Odyssey tries to capture some of its spirit, it's still completely different.

I mean a specific Mario 64 sequel with the same moves, similar setting and story, same mechanics, etc.

Mario 64 2 when????

HotPocket69

Banned
Odyssey is really it’s own thing. It’s a very relaxed Mario game.

Lives don’t mean shit for one. I mean Galaxy at least implements the 5 lives at the start rule. Keeping those old school arcade roots even though lives are still handed out like candy.

carlosrox

Banned
Ugh at no

So long gay Bowser.

Just fucking leave it.

Not nearly as bad as the butchered Fire Temple from OOT though. Can't ever forgive them for that shit. Any future release will have the busted shit inferior version of that track.

Breaks my heart. One of the lamest examples of censorship in ganes.

Ruining one of the most atmospheric moments (in one of the best games) of all time all over pearl clutching, religious, cancel culture bullshit.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Odyssey is really it’s own thing. It’s a very relaxed Mario game.

Lives don’t mean shit for one. I mean Galaxy at least implements the 5 lives at the start rule. Keeping those old school arcade roots even though lives are still handed out like candy.

Galaxy so far is even more shockingly easy than I remember.

I would say it's a negative. Mario is better with challenge.

I'm shocked at how slow and momentum-less Mario feels in Galaxy, too.

Galaxy and 3D World have been my favorites since playing them but I wonder if my opinion will change a bit.

Galaxy so far is even more shockingly easy than I remember.

I would say it's a negative. Mario is better with challenge.

I'm shocked at how slow and momentum-less Mario feels in Galaxy, too.

Galaxy and 3D World have been my favorites since playing them but I wonder if my opinion will change a bit.

Yeah it was a problem in galaxy. Galaxy 2 had a really nice level of challenge though

Camreezie

64 really needs a remake , its time now. Sunshine and Galaxy hold up pretty damn well in my eyes and still look great but goddamn 64 looks rough

I've been playing Galaxy using a Pro Controller, and I have to twist it stupid amounts to get the pointer to reach the edges of the display. I'm wondering if this like a broken gyro in my Pro Controller, or is this just the way it works? I don't think I've used the "pointing" in any other games with the Pro Controller, so I can't be sure it's good.

I've been playing Galaxy using a Pro Controller, and I have to twist it stupid amounts to get the pointer to reach the edges of the display. I'm wondering if this like a broken gyro in my Pro Controller, or is this just the way it works? I don't think I've used the "pointing" in any other games with the Pro Controller, so I can't be sure it's good.
Frequently re-center it and you don't have to turn as far. Use the R button.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This collection reminds me we never, ever got a true sequel to Mario 64.

While Odyssey tries to capture some of its spirit, it's still completely different.

I mean a specific Mario 64 sequel with the same moves, similar setting and story, same mechanics, etc.

Mario 64 2 when????

What is a sequel? Is it a game that builds on the predecessor or one that just does MOTS. Is it Super Mario Lost Levels or Super Mario bros 3 to put it in context.

I think Odyssey is 64-2 because it takes a lot of what they did in 64 and goes in all sorts of new directions with it.

Last edited:
okay I got 120 stars in mario 64...The final 100 coin challenges were pretty tough. The game is still amazing, the creativity and imagination that went into all the areas and challenges is so high, but that 90's camera has got to go. It was very frustrating at the start, then got better as I altered my expectations from the camera, then got worse again as the late game platforming challenges got much more demanding in clock tower and rainbow ride.

Some questions:

1. what's up with the underwater shells? I love surfing on the shells on land, but when I get a shell underwater I think it supposed to make me swim fast, but it just disappears after a short while?

2. When I beat bowser for 120th star and it played the end credits, the game is just locked on the cake peach bakes. I pressed every button and had to restart the software to get off the cake image. I thought it would save my star but my save files says "119 stars." Is there a way to save after the cake screen?

Onto sunshine now...HYPE ☀

okay I got 120 stars in mario 64...The final 100 coin challenges were pretty tough. The game is still amazing, the creativity and imagination that went into all the areas and challenges is so high, but that 90's camera has got to go. It was very frustrating at the start, then got better as I altered my expectations from the camera, then got worse again as the late game platforming challenges got much more demanding in clock tower and rainbow ride.

Some questions:

1. what's up with the underwater shells? I love surfing on the shells on land, but when I get a shell underwater I think it supposed to make me swim fast, but it just disappears after a short while?

2. When I beat bowser for 120th star and it played the end credits, the game is just locked on the cake peach bakes. I pressed every button and had to restart the software to get off the cake image. I thought it would save my star but my save files says "119 stars." Is there a way to save after the cake screen?

Onto sunshine now...HYPE ☀
Dang, never heard of that glitch. Like 99.9999% sure you can save at 120 stars.

Is your Switch on parental restrictions? They added a torrid sex scene at the end.

In my hazy memory you're supposed to meet Yoshi on the roof as a reward for getting all the stars or something. Maybe the final bowser star after beating bowser isn't counted in the numbered total of stars, and I'm missing a star somewhere?

Looks like this is the case - there are 15 secret stars and I have 14. Can't quite jump to sunshine just yet, gotta figure out what I missed.

Nico_D

56 stars in Sunshine atm. Having so much fun with the game, the ideas behind the levels are great most of the time if not counting races and such.

Only Yoshi's Fruit Adventure has managed to annoy me, I have let it lie for now. The Watermelon Festival was good and really easy once I found the correct route.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sunshine’s camera is just as obnoxious as I remembered. That stupid thing took more lives than some major wars.

There is nothing in my current replay of Sunshine that’s shaking my previous opinion that the game has some very, very bad ideas and some very, very bad execution in it. The camera is enough to ruin pretty much everything you’re trying to do that isn’t walking in a straight line on a broad stretch of land, but there’s some completely bullshit physics at work in some instances. Bringing those spiky fruits to the Pianta woman near the Sunshine Gate is more clunky than a lot of Commodore 64 games. And that fucking pachinko is broken and always was.

Gloomnivore

Playing all three side by side works well. It adds to the variety and Sunshine is more enjoyable when you can mix it up with a bit of SM64 and Galaxy.

Sunshine has loads of nice ideas and the biggest challenge and then some bits where I’m lost behind the scenery again.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Played Mario 64 for about 30 mins last night. It is far more rough than I remember. I don't think I will play much more of it. I'll likely skip over Sunshine as well.

38 shines into sunshine now. I've always had a strong affection for the game and I usually play defense for it when people are hating on it, but I'm surprised by how good it is after 15 years or whatever it's been. I think negative opinions started to influence mine, or maybe because Galaxy is so good and so well received that made me feel like sunshine can't compare. I guess I'll know soon, once I max out all the shines I'll jump straight to galaxy.

Played Mario 64 for about 30 mins last night. It is far more rough than I remember. I don't think I will play much more of it. I'll likely skip over Sunshine as well.
Yeah, Mario 64 is rough, in more ways than one. I don't think I've been this frustrated while playing a video game since Binding of Isaac - and like that one, even if I keep dying, I keep coming back for more.
You should definitely try Sunshine though. It's a very divise game, but it has a very different feel compared to 64.

Top Bottom