• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Switch VS Wii U | Graphics Comparison & FPS

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

- Super Mario 3D World runs at 900p resolution in dock mode and 720p in handheld mode. On WiiU the resolution is 720p
- In Bowser's Fury, the game renders at 720p on dock and handheld. However, handheld mode reduces its framerate to 30FPS.
- The saving slots in Switch have been eliminated. On WiiU there were 3 slots.
- Small changes in some light effects.
- The Pop-in of the shadows remains on Switch.
- Some cameras have been slightly modified.
- The framerate in Super Mario 3D World suffers a small stuttering when collecting stars. This bug was already present on WiiU.
- The animations and control in Bowser's Fury have been revised, giving a freer control over Mario.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hmm, new animations and control in Bowser's Fury?

Wonder if they intended it as an Odyssey DLC and then decided instead to sweeten Iwata's final Mario? The updated animations and control in Bowser's Fury (but only in Bowser's Fury) seem to indicate that.
No triple jump, run button... I do not think they intended it as an Odyssey DLC... I am not sure why there is a BotW 2, but no giant DLC or Super Mario Odyssey 2 talk... it sold massively too.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
- The saving slots in Switch have been eliminated. On WiiU there were 3 slots.
This is something that’s been irking me these last years. Starting a new game these days means using a different user account, or deleting your save completely. Why?

Paper Mario on WiiU did this and it was very annoying, especially for a RPG. Imagine if Xenoblade only gave you one save slot per user.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No triple jump, run button... I do not think they intended it as an Odyssey DLC... I am not sure why there is a BotW 2, but no giant DLC or Super Mario Odyssey 2 talk... it sold massively too.
It would be easy to omit those moves. I mean, it's just speculation. I have no way of knowing if it was meant to be Odyssey DLC but changing up the controls for a DLC seems like an odd choice. The first explanation that came to mind was that the content here was cutting-floor scraps or something of that nature.

Kuranghi

I think I'm going to pick this up for Bowser's Fury, I'm watching someone play it right now and it does seem pretty good and I've seen one or two secrets I thought were quite clever. I think my biggest gripe with 3DW style is having to run and wall jumping + triple jumping being replaced by using the cat powerup.

I think restarting the main 3DW game in coop will help me get what the main game is going for more.

This is something that’s been irking me these last years. Starting a new game these days means using a different user account, or deleting your save completely. Why?

Paper Mario on WiiU did this and it was very annoying, especially for a RPG. Imagine if Xenoblade only gave you one save slot per user.
Exactly, same with when playing yoshi. No way to reset the game to collect things again unless you make another account. Very dumb not to have this on system base level like everyone else at this time.

Termite

Same feeling as Pikmin 3 and some other Wii U ports - I already paid $60 for these on the Wii U, so if you can't get them to at least 1080p there is no chance in hell I'm paying you for them again.

As someone who plays the Switch almost entirely as a home console it's lack of substantial power increase over the Wii U is so frustrating. Of course, as a successor to the 3ds it's an insane upgrade, but I just don't use it that way (and can't anymore due to fucking joycon drift which isn't covered where I live).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have a feeling you will say the same about the Switch Pro.
I hope history will prove me wrong, but it is Nintendo we’re talking about.

I was happy with the WiiU's hardware capabilities, honestly. It was up to the task of running the games it had. It's just the Switch where we seem to encounter constant performance struggles.

Banned
Hmm, new animations and control in Bowser's Fury?

Wonder if they intended it as an Odyssey DLC and then decided instead to sweeten Iwata's final Mario? The updated animations and control in Bowser's Fury (but only in Bowser's Fury) seem to indicate that.

no they simply indicate that it is a more open mario game.
in 3D World the movement was almost locked to an 8 way grid. the game had a bias in place that put you either into a strict Left, Right, Up or Down direction or in perfect 45° angles between those. which made sense for its almost 2.5D layout of levels. it makes however not as much sense in a full 3D environment with a fully controllable camera

Last edited:

Termite

Ok, so the Switch version is still better than the WiiU release, in terms of tech?

We really need that Switch Pro - the Switch belongs in the trash.
The tragedy of the Switch is that my first game was BotW (which I'd previously played on Wii U) and my first thoughts, about an hour in, were "I can't wait to play a remaster of this on proper hardware."

That was at the launch of the machine, 4 years ago. God we need a switch pro so badly.

Of course, taking the Switch out of the dock and playing BotW handheld was an insane experience going from the 3ds. It's an incredible handheld and a poor home console.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I was happy with the WiiU's hardware capabilities, honestly. It was up to the task of running the games it had. It's just the Switch where we seem to encounter constant performance struggles.
vader GIF

The hyberbole is strong with this one

I don't know if this point was cleared up but this version has save files as well I believe 4 of them. The difference is that it doesn't take you to the save screen from the start. You can select a different save once you create a new one by selecting a new game.

Top Bottom