• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 107 26.9%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 291 73.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

SppBTxP.jpg

Tschumi

Wow, i haven't played either but there seems to be a HELL of a hipster backlash against Zelda and its weapon decay~ that game got Titanic props, let's be fair now.

Kokoloko85

I voted for the wrong one but I like both And its very close so its all good lol

BOTW did someone different and more special.
But had bigger flaws than Mario ( I cant forgive the weapon durability )
Both Awesome

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I literally don’t know if I can pick. I would have said BotW a few years ago, that might be my GotG, but my recent second playthrough of Odyssey had me falling in love.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mario Odyssey is good, and it's very polished. But Zelda just offered more in terms of the experience.

carlosrox

Banned
Odyssey is a solid game but BOTW is still BOTW.

Ironically I think they both could have been more like eachother.

Mario needs a true open world and BOTW needed a bit less open design.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I absolutely enjoyed Mario Odyssey a lot but I would still go with BotW because I just loved the exploration in that game.

Arkam

Both were superb installments of each series and delivered when Nintendo needed them most.

MO was the 3D Mario experience we had been pining for some time. Loved the QoL improvements and surprisingly deep content. It looked great (some levels more than others) and ran great. It was however marred by sub par boss fights. Each one was a dreaded chore.

BOTW was a Breath of fresh air for the series. Probably the most fun I have ever had in an open world game. I spent so much time exploring the world, because I could, with very few limitations. My favorite part was how in the beginning even a simple river was an impassable object. Not due to a blocking layer but simply the force of the river vs your current stats. Then there was the layering of the complex "elemental" systems (fire, water, magnetism, electricity) which made for some awesome times. The art style was perfect for teh platform and allowed for length draw distances. Would also say boss battles here were weak too. Also didnt like any of the "dungeons". They were more annoying than entertaining. But since they were no more than a dozen hours of my few hundred hours experience.

Voting BOTW

Mihos

Gold Member
The weapon breaking in BotW pretty much ruined it for me. That and 'cant climb cuz it's raining' stuff. Cooking was both annoying and overpowered.

Mario was alright. I doubt I will play it again though.

I will sit this one out

Last edited:
This is hard as hell to pick, as both are fucking amazing.

Part of me wants to give the slight nod to Mario Odyssey as it hewed closer to the classic elements of what makes a Mario game, whereas BOTW was arguably lacking in classic Zelda elements, most notably the dungeons.

On the flipside to that I was disappointed how fairly small the levels in Mario Odyssey were, whereas BOTW's massive open world was jaw dropping.

I guess I'm gonna have to pick BOTW but this is a very tough choice.

kunonabi

Both games were kind of awful and suffered from similar issues but I'll give the nod to Mario since it didnt feel quite as gutted.

carlosrox

Banned
ever so slightly

Nah. BOTW is definitely a much greater achievement over Odyssey. Odyssey was a step down from Galaxy and 3D World. As much as I enjoyed Odyssey as a whole, it had this underwhelming feeling I'm not sure I can ever look past. Most Kingdoms feel too small and many are super underwhelming. We get two water based kingdoms but no proper, meaty underwater areas. Like, what?

It feels like it needs way more content. DLC woulda been greatly appreciated, or a sequel that builds upon the first.

I understand why people say Odyssey is disappointing much more than I do BOTW. Odyssey shares some of BOTW's flaws and then some.

BOTW is the clear winner between the two.

Last edited:

Enzo88

This is hard as hell to pick, as both are fucking amazing.

Part of me wants to give the slight nod to Mario Odyssey as it hewed closer to the classic elements of what makes a Mario game, whereas BOTW was arguably lacking in classic Zelda elements, most notably the dungeons.

On the flipside to that I was disappointed how fairly small the levels in Mario Odyssey were, whereas BOTW's massive open world was jaw dropping.

I guess I'm gonna have to pick BOTW but this is a very tough choice.
It depends on what you deem as classic Zelda.
Botw is closer to the spirit of the original than any other game in the saga.

MiguelItUp

Crazy to me to think that BotW is THAT good for some folks. When I played it I think I was more than half way done and just stopped. It wasn't bad, I just didn't care enough to see it through. I felt like it became a dungeon grind at that point and as over it, lol. Definitely thought it did some cool things though. Maybe I was approaching it wrong and I should give it another go. Never got a chance to play Odyssey, would like to change that at some point.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Breath of the Wild by a country mile. The game has a few issues that are absolutely godawful when you see them but the overwhelming majority of the experience is almost magical. One of the true masterpieces of our time.

Mario Odyssey sucks balls. It's the same type of experience we've seen before only somehow less interesting than before. Huge swathes of levels are filled with boring, filler bullshit that Nintendy's A-team should know better than, and only a couple of the levels themselves captured my interest at all. Metro City is the obvious standout there, but even it's not immune to filler BS.

Difference between a 9/10 and 4/10 game.

Jeeves

Both good, voting BotW.

I didn't realize though that there were so many people with gripes about weapon durability. Are they the same people who couldn't bear Majora because of its "time limit"? Just grab another weapon when yours breaks and don't try to hoard them, you'll be okay. You don't have to try to min/max your loadout all the time. You know how in The Matrix they just throw the whole gun away when the clip is empty and grab another gun? That's how you're supposed to play BotW.

carlosrox

Banned
Lake Kingdom was a massive disappointment. Like half of it is a pond and some corridors you never need to go down again. The other half doesn't have too much else. At least the visuals are gorgeous though.

Snow Kingdom has an awesome atmosphere and look in the above part but it ends up just being some hills mainly.

And I really dislike how when you wanna jump into the more platforming sections, good luck guessing which leads to which. In the Snow Kingdom there are several entrances to platform sections, and fucked if I know which is which.

Really didn't like the Forgotten Swamp Island or whatever Kingdom that is with the plastic look. It's absolutely tiny.

Ruined Kingdom, don't even get me started. What a cocktease.

Sand, Bowser, and Wood Kingdoms are easily the best. Felt like the game mostly peaked pretty early.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Both good, voting BotW.

I didn't realize though that there were so many people with gripes about weapon durability. Are they the same people who couldn't bear Majora because of its "time limit"? Just grab another weapon when yours breaks and don't try to hoard them, you'll be okay. You don't have to try to min/max your loadout all the time. You know how in The Matrix they just throw the whole gun away when the clip is empty and grab another gun? That's how you're supposed to play BotW.

I have gripes with weapon durability but really only the Master Sword's (It should passively regenerate when not in-use; current setup incentivizes purposefully breaking it once you think you're below <50%). Everything else about the weapons is fine imo. I like how the game pushes you to picking up more and using different types of weapons.
Biggest flaws with Breath of the Wild are the dogshit main dungeon designs and some of the repetitive/simplistic design of shrines. Also annoying are any gyro puzzles (they're few but they're just terrible) and the overly simple way damage is calculated.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Easy choice. Breath of the Wild hooked me for months with the launch of the Switch. I went on holiday shortly after Mario and Steamworld Dig 2 released. After playing both, I spent more time with Steamwrold that week.

Moonjt9

Goddamn Nintendo still has it, don’t they? After all these years, still coming out with modern classics. Just incredible.

Had to go with BOTW as much as I loved Odyssey. A real return to the original Zelda. Honesty it felt almost like a reboot of sorts.

Romulus

I thought both were overrated. Solid but not worth the hype. Even playing zelda at 60fps and near 4k I can't finish it. Granted I gave up on a decent amount of games this generation. I'm fine with the weapon decay but it didn't hook me.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Surprised that for once Mario is not dominating a poll... I regain faith in humanity !

BOTW easily for me. Some might argue is not a "true" Zelda game. For me it is and utmostly it's the best open world I have played.
It really made me feel like I was exploring an unknown land. I see something intriguing in the far ? Let's go to this direction and see what I find. And there is always something to find !

The second game of the Generation after Bloodborne for me.

I haven't play Mario... But it's Mario... I have played a bit of Mario 64 back in the time... So it's like I have play this one too :p

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They’re both 10/10 games and deserving of their place in the semi-finals or finals, but BOTW is mystical, magical, enthralling, and comforting all at once. Even after 3 FULL PLAYTHROUGHS I’m still finding new surprises, and feeling the magic.

A staggering achievement.

BOTW is the game of forever so not a difficult choice. 3D All-Stars has shown me how good Odyssey really is. Nintendo still got it.

Two of my favorite games this gen, but Zelda was really something special. First time since we were kids playing the NES that all my siblings and I were playing the same game in the same room. Even my sister who rarely plays was glued to it for over a month.

It's insane that I have a level of nostalgia for a game that's only a couple years old.

Top Bottom