• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid |OT| Prequel to Other M

Robin64

Let's make this clear. Super Metroid is 30 cents for a month.

zyZOSR1.png

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

Super Metroid is the third game in the Metroid series, and arguably the best to boot. Set almost immediately after Metroid II, Super Metroid sees Samus Aran delivering the only remaining Metroid to a Galactic Federation research station. As a newborn, the baby Metroid saw Samus as its mother and posed no threat. Perhaps the Metroid infant could be studied and benefit humanity. But no sooner had Samus left the facility when..

"Ceres station was under attack!"

Returning to Zebes perfectly sets the stage for the atmosphere that oozes from every pore of this stunning game. Landing your ship on the surface of Crateria in the pouring rain, the sound of thunder all around, you make you way into the cave network. Finding your way down, you begin to descend the very tunnel that you climbed up at the end of the first Metroid game. Opening a door, you find yourself in the same chamber where you fought Mother Brain. Her jar is smashed apart, just how you left it. There's no sign of life anywhere, save for a few native bugs. The air is still and there's no sound. Lights are dim. This is going to be one heck of an adventure.

I was going to post about all the powers Samus gets, all the locations she visits and all the bosses she will face, but then I thought.. I want new players to experience this game as I did. This game is that important. It's not really spoilers at this point to talk about what this game has to offer, but let's face, not knowing what's coming is part of what made this game so special in our childhood. If there any new players here, and I really hope there are, I want them to see that. Suffice to say, the power-ups are such fun, the locations are beautifully atmospheric and the bosses are epic!

Screenshots

wAySnIP.png
9PcIXfD.jpg
aP88f59.png
qqEAPaK.png
orvfKZT.png
Lc83SWF.jpg
npQQFcu.png
EQKEpxo.png
yfiUpvW.png
W9SjvaS.png

YouTubes

Super Metroid Intro - The full introduction! If this doesn't make you want the game, well, what's wrong with you?
Super Metroid - Crystal Flash - This is an amazing 22 minute Super Metroid medley by the wonderful Jake Kaufman. Just stunning.

Reviews

IGN - 9.5
Edge - 8
Gamespot - 8.5
Mean Machines - 92%

Leaderboards

As some of you know, I maintain a Wii U Virtual Console leaderboard "system" (a very loose term) for NeoGAF Wii U VC players. F-Zero was very popular, Punch-Out was not. It can vary! But I am hoping that Super Metroid gets an amazing turn-out. There will be two leaderboards, one for completion time and one for completion time with 100% collection rate. Thanks to how Miiverse now works on PC, submitting a time is simple! Just post your screenshot to Miiverse, then link it to us here on the forum. You can use this thread or the NeoGAF Wii U Virtual Console Leaderboards thread, I don't mind. I expect this to be very popular. Got it? Of course you do. (Submittimesokay?)

Current standing:

Release Data

North America - May 15th, 2013
Europe - May 16th, 2013
(Please note that Nintendo have decided that Europe needs an "optimised" 50hz version this time, not a shiny 60hz one)

All regions will see the game priced at 30 of your country's smallest coins for a month. Literally no reason to not get it! Unless you think the number 50 hurts.

Bonus Miiverse Stuff!

AAUAABAQpQABqfbdRn

zlCfzQ-5ZM4RmcFWxd
zlCfzQ-2HUAaYSmgoA
zlCfzQ-5UJQyc9EdIg
zlCfzQ-wDLs6Qq2fgG
neogaf7.png
neogaf22.png
neogaf24.png

Miiverse is killing me guys.

xW2jQMe.jpg

Tizoc

Is the game available for the 3DS? most of these classics seem to be for Wii or WiiU only last I checked...

Shahadan

Thank you based Robin64.

Can't wait, it's been more than 10 years since my last playthrough.
Metroid Blast kinda made the wait worse.

Murrah

Banned
Can't wait to blast through this in one sitting tomorrow night. 30 cents for Super Metroid is probably the best widespread gaming deal of all time

... and when you're done - and if you fancy more Super Metroid - give Metroid Ice Metal a look. It's not as good of course, but its enjoyable and mysterious and different and scratches a similar itch.

Or go for Other M if you want linear ugly dismally-voiced unimaginative misogynistic tuneless clumsy panic attacks.

Great thread!

zroid

Banned
first two games were kinda bad, hope this is an improvement

I have never played Super Metroid through to the end, only bits and pieces. That will change tomorrow!

serplux

Eh, Metroid II was a decent game. Super Metroid's a sequel to that, no? Will be interesting to see how it works. Also:

1987: Metroid, Kid Icarus

1991: Metroid II: Return of Samus, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters

1994: Super Metroid, Super Kid Icarus???

TEJ

Having never owned a snes, I had a genesis, I first played this game on the VC. I understood why so many hold it in high regard.

-The level designs were intuitive but didn't blatantly spell everything out for you.
-The controls were smooth and responsive, very much so
-the game is dripping in atmosphere, from the music to visual designs to the sound effects
-Most importantly, it is fun.

The first Metroid I had really gotten into was Metroid Prime, a lot of people complained about how slow it was but I thought the pace let you breathe in the atmosphere.

I wasn't a fan of a few of the changes inMP2-3 nor was I a fan of Other M.

I did play metroid 1 and 2 on the 3DS and enjoyed them but my favorites are still super metroid and metroid prime.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Edge gave it an 8? LOL, seriously?

Amazing thing is, it's a review of the SNES cart from 1994, not a VC rerelease or something. Which is kinda hilarious. The dude complains about the graphics and the music... which I dunno how one even does that unless they're a truly spiteful bastard. And then he complains it's too hard. I can understand an 8.0 from like a Gamespot or IGN review of the VC release a little more, because you can't give a perfect game like Super Metroid a 10 cuz... well, it's old, and a 10/10 loses its meaning if you give it to someone who isn't paying you. Either way, I guess Edge is nothing if not consistent.

That Gamespot review gave me literal cancer.

+ Loads of weapons and armor to collect, and plenty of aliens to shoot at
+ Colorful 16-bit graphics and somber music convey a spooky atmosphere
+ The smooth pacing means you're always collecting new items or facing new enemies
+ You'll feel compelled to play again after you've beaten it.

- Nintendo waited 13 years to let us play Super Metroid again.

heavyness

such a great game. Is there any way to buy this if you don't have a Wii U? I plan on getting one and would love to grab this super cheap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a Nintendo game with dead people right on the opening screen. Which was awesome back in the day.

Lol, that was what struck me last time I played it. There's no way Nintendo would let that shit fly these days.

Though I admit that I was shocked recently when I heard the word "kill" in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

TUSR

Banned
Does Nintendo not understand the demand for their SNES collection on the 3DS?

Regardless, I might put together a 100% run and see where my time sits among GAF.

Top Bottom