• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Plexis Kickstarter - Panel de Pon/Puzzle League on Switch! (and mobile)

Camjo-Z

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997496052/super-plexis - Currently at $5,073 with 3 days left!

It's been 10 years since we got a new Puzzle League game, friends. 10 LONG YEARS! (Well, technically only a few months if you count the Animal Crossing minigame. That's not as dramatic though, so I'll ignore it.) BUT - no longer must we cower in the shadows, for a new successor has risen up: Super Plexis!

zPmpmZU.png

Basically, it's a 16-bit mix of Panel de Pon/Puzzle League and Meteos where you can move blocks both left/right and up/down. The traditional garbage blocks are there, but it also has a health system, various characters with special abilities, online multiplayer, and even currency to buy cosmetics! I can't actually play the game yet since there's only an iOS beta so far, but video footage is looking pretty sweet. Here are the details straight from the devs:

Super Plexis Kickstarter Page said:
"Match 3" gameplay might be standard for puzzle games, but Super Plexis takes things up a notch with tug-of-war style battles against an opponent. When you make large matches, or create large chains of matches, you send "deadblocks" that clutter your enemy's board. A board full of blocks can be deadly! Players can use their "Super Plexis" ability in a pinch (but watch out, it may come with unexpected consequences!)

Take a break and chill out with the training modes: Endless and VS A.I., the perfect places to get some practice. Or hop into Adventure mode and play through the levels designed to introduce you to specific game mechanics, solve puzzles, or fulfill certain timed-based challenges. You'll also meet a strange A.I. named "M.A.V.S" who will act as your guide (just try not to hurt his feelings). When you're ready to compete, enter matchmaking (Ranked or Unranked) to test your skill against other players online. Ranked matches count for or against your overall skill rating, so if you want to earn high-level Emblems you better practice up!

Win or lose, in any mode, all blocks cleared count toward your total "Lumina". Use Lumina to purchase characters, portraits, and skins! As gamers first and developers second, we take a firm stance against "pay-to-win" mechanics in any game, free or not. Everything in the shop is either optional or cosmetic to your overall experience of the game, there are no unfair advantages to be gained! This keeps a healthy, competitive playing field for all.

The goal is $6000 for a touchscreen F2P iOS/Android version. That's cool and all, but it can't stop there. A man needs ADVENTURE MODE! A man needs BUTTONS! A man needs... A SWITCH VERSION!

q3Uhh5K.png

Full Adventure Mode

As huge fans of classic RPGs, we've envisioned a world full of diverse environments, characters, items, and challenges that make up our Adventure mode. This stretch goal would allow us to continue working full-time bringing this vision to life speedily at its utmost quality! (A demo of Adventure mode is currently available in the Super Plexis beta)

New Mode: Boss Rush!

More than just a string of boss battles, this mode will be set during a specific story event involving all playable characters. Fans of classic puzzle game story modes will be right at home: pick a difficulty and try to survive the onslaught! Unique rewards and unlockables will be available to players willing to challenge themselves!

Nintendo Switch Version

Y0EUIQT.png

The Switch is proving to be a fantastic platform for indies. Not only is it a great device, but it's affordable and multi-platform friendly. The custom engine we're building for Android will have support for the Switch from the beginning, making this stretch goal much more achievable than your average console port (but it will still require a full design overhaul!) Super Plexis will feel right at home on a Nintendo console with an updated control scheme (for both the Joy Cons and Pro Controller), fully redesigned UI, local multiplayer, and new game modes!

Don't try and hide it, I can already see you puzzle fans salivating through the screen - yet somehow this game has been up for days without getting funded (and even had a previous campaign that failed!) so clearly it's up to us to get this thing to the finish line. Get those wallets out, amigos!

Just to sweeten the deal, if the $20,000 Switch stretch goal gets reached, I have a boxed copy of Panel de Pon in fairly good condition that I'll ship for free to a random GAFer who backs the game (if they want it of course, and if they can provide proof of being a backer). So what are y'all waiting for? Go give them money so I can play this thing on my Switch.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this KS, I just want to see a cool game get made. Credit to Raitaro for giving me a heads up on the campaign, clearly a man of taste.

killroy87

On one hand, I really want to pledge $20 so I can get Switch version and some cool shit.

On the other hand, I have no desire to play this on mobile, so if it gets funded but misses the $20K stretch goal, I'll have pissed away $20...

I think I have to skip this one. I'll check back on the last day and see if there's any hope of the Switch goal being reached.

On one hand, I really want to pledge $20 so I can get Switch version and some cool shit.

On the other hand, I have no desire to play this on mobile, so if it gets funded but misses the $20K stretch goal, I'll have pissed away $20...

I think I have to skip this one. I'll check back on the last day and see if there's any hope of the Switch goal being reached.

I freaking love Panel de Pon. This is about how I feel about backing it at the moment though. A Switch version would be awesome.

Berordn

Basically where I'm at right now. I've never loved Panel de Pon versus and it seems like they're actually taking the steps needed to improve it, but unless I know for sure I'm getting a Switch version out of the deal I'm not sure I'd want to drop the money.

Umibozu

Does Nintendo hold some kind of rights to those block designs? (the same way Tetris company probably holds the tetronimo design).
Will look forward to it if there are no issues and it gets funded.

Kneefoil

Y'all could back it and then cancel on the last day if it doesn't seem to reach the goal.

That's what I'd normally say, but with the Kickstarter only having 5 days left, and the funding not being even a fourth of the way there, I don't think this'll reach 20k.

Auron

I would gladly pay for this if it comes to Switch. At this point it looks to only to make the mobile goal though.

If you just make a Switch version anyway you may do well with it.

Its going to hurt so much more knowing they tried to get this on Switch than just going through life wishing for Puzzle League on Switch.

Maybe the SNES one will end up as a VC game with leader boards.

Does Nintendo hold some kind of rights to those block designs? (the same way Tetris company probably holds the tetronimo design).
Will look forward to it if there are no issues and it gets funded.

Yeah, seems way too similar. Nintendo will try to block it I reckon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd be down but it kind of feels too close to the end to fund the Switch version. Game needs a Jerry Seinfeld.

Camjo-Z

Basically where I'm at right now. I've never loved Panel de Pon versus and it seems like they're actually taking the steps needed to improve it, but unless I know for sure I'm getting a Switch version out of the deal I'm not sure I'd want to drop the money.

It's times like this I wish Kickstarter had some sort of "side pot" option that would let you pledge an amount that only gets collected if the total amount of funds reaches a certain stretch goal. I could easily see this hitting the goal if it was possible to pledge specifically for the Switch version, the game clearly has an audience but I don't think they want it on a phone.

Eolz

That's a pretty neat looking game.
Will back it, hopefully your thread will help at least for it to get to completion, and then they'll try porting it elsewhere in the future even if they don't go up to the stretch goal. Best of luck to them, it's getting pretty hard to be noticed on Kickstarter nowadays.

Raitaro

Thanks for making this thread Camjo-Z - you have great taste as well!

Let's hope they at least make 6,000 so there remains a slght chance that a Switch version can be developed later if the other versions are succesful. They're slightly over 5,000 now with 4 days to go, so it might happen yet. (As I said before, my interest in this is greatly dependent on a Switch or other console port, but seeing the game being made in the first place is of course vital.)

Cool to see the Puzzle league / Panel de Pon formula used once more (outside of that Animal Crossing: New Leaf minigame).

Edit: crap, I just went on holiday to Sweden and forgot to bring my (long time unused) Kickstarter data with me so there is a chance I might not even be able to back this game...sigh...I'll update if I figure something out...

ZeroX03

Banned
I love Puzzle League so much, it's my favorite on any handheld. I'd love it on Switch.

But it's a tough sell supporting this. Doesn't look like it'll reach the Switch goal and it's super ugly to boot. That's not great spritework. If they manage to get a copy out on Switch in a non-crowd funded manner I'd support it.

dude

dude
I'd love a Steam version of this. Might be a weird request, but I like playing similar games on my PC during breaks from work.

Hopefully there'll be a PC version, it doesn't seem to be a very complicated thing to do.

EDIT: Wait, so this will be on Steam? It's not very clear from the campaign, but under the risks and challenges they talk about Greenlight.

Camjo-Z

Hopefully there'll be a PC version, it doesn't seem to be a very complicated thing to do.

EDIT: Wait, so this will be on Steam? It's not very clear from the campaign, but under the risks and challenges they talk about Greenlight.

I guess the idea is that they're doing a mobile version first, and then the potential Switch version with the various UI changes could be easily ported to PC as well.

I pledged for the Switch goal. I have ZERO interest playing this on my phone though so if it doesn't go through the Switch goal the day before then I am refunding my pledge.

Camjo-Z

They've added an extra FAQ question regarding a PC/Steam release and whether a Switch version will happen if the stretch goal isn't met.

We'd love to get on every platform where there's demand! So a PC version of Super Plexis is definitely on the table, it's just a matter of when. We're focusing our efforts on delivering a complete experience on mobile first (to finish what we started). At the point of launching the Android version, we'll already be equipped with an engine capable of running on anything. We've highlighted the Switch for our campaign due to popular demand, and we'd love to deliver that version eventually even if the stretch goal isn't met. The redesigned UI and gamepad controls (instead of touch) would be more or less the same for the Switch and PC versions, so if one is coming, you can count on the other happening as well. But as an indie team of two, it's hard to give any exact dates (hopefully with support we'll be able to hire a bit of extra help and get there sooner!)

So... let's hope they at least manage to get the initial funding goal!

Raitaro

They've added an extra FAQ question regarding a PC/Steam release and whether a Switch version will happen if the stretch goal isn't met.

So... let's hope they at least manage to get the initial funding goal!

Indeed. Current status: 5,353 with 30 hours to go.

Unless existing backers up their pledges - or by some miracle more people learn about this Kickstarter at the last minute - I'm getting the feeling that it might end just short of the mark unfortunately.

Still, hopefully this far more succesful second campaign will give the dev team the morale boost and ability they need to complete the game somehow even if the campaign doesn't make it again.

Kouriozan

I'm so thirsty for a new Panel de Pon that I might back this up, but I doubt it'll reach the Switch goal so I'll wait and see.

Camjo-Z

Indeed. Current status: 5,353 with 30 hours to go.

Unless existing backers up their pledges - or by some miracle more people learn about this Kickstarter at the last minute - I'm getting the feeling that it might end just short of the mark unfortunately.

Looks like there was a miracle indeed - still another day left, but they've hit the $6000 mark!

We're funded!! Just moments ago we saw an extremely generous backer (and, turns out, a good friend) appear out of nowhere and finish us off! I was just about to sit down and write a simple "24 hours remaining!" update when this news came in, and the team is just blown away. Not just at being finally being funded, but having come this far with all of your guys help as well!

We'll have a bigger update coming once the funding period ends, sharing in detail our road map for Super Plexis (based on where we land with funding), and what kind of updates you can expect from us in the future as we progress. But there's still 24 hours remaining! And from here, stretch goals or not, any extra funding will be get us closer to being as multi-platform as possible!

Camjo-Z

096245394b7efba7aa7e9f0acf7b9fe4.png

Not a bad final total for a campaign that didn't look like it was going to make it at all. Puzzle League lives on!

-shadow-

Isn't there a big PayPal button right on the Kickstarter page?

That's awesome! I didn't see it in my phone, but right there on the PC. I'll contact them and see if they still take them now that the Kickstarter is technically done! :D

I'd buy it for switch as long as it ran well/actually came out.

I'm 0/6 on Kickstarted games both coming out and not being a steaming pile so I'm out.

Raitaro

096245394b7efba7aa7e9f0acf7b9fe4.png

Not a bad final total for a campaign that didn't look like it was going to make it at all. Puzzle League lives on!

Great news indeed! Quite incredible, that final total.

I really like their rundown of the upcoming plans now they've been funded, especially the parts about ports for Switch and PC still being possible because of the new engine that this funding will allow them to make. I wish them all the best! Thanks again Camjo-Z; perhaps this thread did in the end help push them over the line :)

Raitaro

It's a shame that they didn't reach the Switch goal.

A shame indeed, but perhaps not a disaster as they did express a strong wish to develop the Switch version - as well as a PC one - later down the line despite the stretch goal not being reached. It will just take longer apparently, but due to the new engine it will be relatively doable and cost effective.

Fingers crossed in other words that we'll still see it appear on Switch and PC.

Top Bottom