• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super R-Type is an amazing game.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah wtf a thread on a game from 1991/1992

Well yeah. I know. Back in the day when I got my SNES. I remember looking at the advertisements they all showed Super R-Type. The game looked good in screenshots but I remember reading about the slow down in the game.

Younger me thought it equated to the game being bad.
So I got Axlay and super aleste in stead oh and I think at one time un squadron.
My mates had mega drives so lots of Shmup goodness to be had.
Super R-Type, who needs or.

How wrong I was. It’s taken me all this time until I decided to play it on my switch as part of the SNES game bundle. Yeah I noticed the slowdown, so what. The game was amazing. I’m glad they implemented the rewind feature because even though the game is good it can be frustrating at times. Dying and just restarting the whole level what the hell?

Either way I loved the style of the game. The music was nice and the levels were well paced and had some nice parts.

Boss fights were great.
What made the game excellent was the power up drone you get which you can link to your ship either from or back or send it out to attack enemies. It’s not a smart drone but it can be used to mow down incoming enemies. Plus towards the end I figured out I could spam it on boss fights.

Anyway I was wrong about my initial assumption of the game all those years again it’s great game.
This is why I did this thread.

Play it.

Any games you got round to playing at a later date that surprised you ?

Last edited:

Hrk69

Had to look it up and I immediately recognized it. I'm sure I played it when I was younger

Makes me wonder how many games I played that I totally forgot

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Any word on R Type Tactics I & II coming out? I have it on my wishlist in Steam. I plan on checking that out. While I love shmups, my patience with them is the worst. I have bought a couple of Raiden games and a few other games I found at Galloping Ghost. I’m hoping R Type tactics gives combat a lot of love.

Last edited:

bumpkin

It really is. I give it a play on the SNES on NSO after not having played it since I had the original release on an actual SNES. I did not get as far as I did as a kid, and honestly, I have no idea how I got as far as I did. They don’t make games like this anymore.

RAIDEN1

Was it that this version had slowdown in it? As good as it might have been, let's face it, it was no Thunderforce (Or Thunderforce 4 should I say)

SpiceRacz

Great game. Highly recommend people try R-Type Leo if they’re interested in the series. It’s a spin off that plays differently than the main games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thunder force 4 is legit. My mate had that game another get of two great games
2 and 3 kicked ass as well. We were mostly a Genesis household so I played the heck out of those.

Funny, I got Jets & Guns 2 this morning and it was making me feel nostalgic for those games, might have to play them again soon.

Trunx81

Gold Member
I loved the Game Boy version of R-Type, bought it from a friend for a 10 back in the day. Never beat it, but fond memories. The TurboGrafx 16 version is supposed to be great. Tried the snes “Remake” on the GBA by Raylight (the guys who made Wing Commander 5 for nintendos handheld and the Resident Evil 2 demo), but something just didn’t click.

It's a fairly watered down port of the arcade game Rtype 2. They removed the checkpoints too making it even more of a nightmare.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Mmmm, I replayed it on NSO recently and I’m not smitten.
I played it for what felt like weeks around 1992 or ‘93. Managed to beat it, probably on Easy seeing that the jump in enemy HP is very noticeable from Easy to Normal, and some patterns get way worse.

No checkpoints makes this game ridiculously brutal. The stages are so long, ffs, and Gradius had checkpoints more than half a decade before. Design and bosses kick ass, but it’s impossible to ignore the spectacular lag, and you have to wonder if it’s by design because some sections are absolutely unmanageable at the game’s supposed normal speed. There’s a passage towards the final boss that’s literally crawling with enemies, and you barely have the chance to avoid some of their shots while on full slowdown.

The game is mostly about the bosses. The stages don’t hold a candle to Thunderforce. The bosses are very creatively designed, and the music is legit. Overall though, I think the game isn’t exactly one of the best shooters on the console. No checkpoints makes you appreciate the rewind function so much.

Speaking of horizontal shmups, I started Lords of Thunder a couple nights ago on the Turbo, and it’s so awesome. Got to the final boss, but I got destroyed. It’s so hard.
Lords of Thunder is incredible. Way, way above Super R-Type in all respects. I, too, managed to get better at it until I reached the final boss, but that one’s a bitch. I could get there without savestates, but I still haven’t beaten the last boss.

If I remember correctly parts of this game would run like it's in slow motion performance wise.
Parts? Just hold the fire button and the game slows down to a crawl, especially if you have the rebounding laser. And it’s supposed to work like that, I guess. Try letting go of the fire button to dodge an incoming attack, and you’re very likely to lose control of your ship and crash against a wall when the game gets 3x faster all of a sudden.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mmmm, I replayed it on NSO recently and I’m not smitten.
I played it for what felt like weeks around 1992 or ‘93. Managed to beat it, probably on Easy seeing that the jump in enemy HP is very noticeable from Easy to Normal, and some patterns get way worse.

No checkpoints makes this game ridiculously brutal. The stages are so long, ffs, and Gradius had checkpoints more than half a decade before. Design and bosses kick ass, but it’s impossible to ignore the spectacular lag, and you have to wonder if it’s by design because some sections are absolutely unmanageable at the game’s supposed normal speed. There’s a passage towards the final boss that’s literally crawling with enemies, and you barely have the chance to avoid some of their shots while on full slowdown.

The game is mostly about the bosses. The stages don’t hold a candle to Thunderforce. The bosses are very creatively designed, and the music is legit. Overall though, I think the game isn’t exactly one of the best shooters on the console. No checkpoints makes you appreciate the rewind function so much.

Lords of Thunder is incredible. Way, way above Super R-Type in all respects. I, too, managed to get better at it until I reached the final boss, but that one’s a bitch. I could get there without savestates, but I still haven’t beaten the last boss.

Parts? Just hold the fire button and the game slows down to a crawl, especially if you have the rebounding laser. And it’s supposed to work like that, I guess. Try letting go of the fire button to dodge an incoming attack, and you’re very likely to lose control of your ship and crash against a wall when the game gets 3x faster all of a sudden.
The slow down into speed up is what caused me to die in game a lot. That’s my excuse.

Business

Not as old but recently I got to play and beat Sega Rally 2 on Steam Deck’s Model 3 emulator and I found a new love for this game. I’ve somehow only played it in the arcade back in the day and for some reason I always considered it inferior to Sega Rally 1 or other classic Sega arcade racers, but no more, this may be my new number one. What a thrill, pure class.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not as old but recently I got to play and beat Sega Rally 2 on Steam Deck’s Model 3 emulator and I found a new love for this game. I’ve somehow only played it in the arcade back in the day and for some reason I always considered it inferior to Sega Rally 1 or other classic Sega arcade racers, but no more, this may be my new number one. What a thrill, pure class.
Excellent. I still stand by the “a good game is forever” quote or mantra ? What ever it is. I love it when I get to experience games from my childhood again sometimes they are better than I remember sometimes. I have a “what was I thinking”

A lot more older 3D games are shabby compared to now but I find if they have good game design and gameplay it don’t matter.

But the 2D ones hold up rather well. From the nes onwards. Atari/colleco era ones. Not so well.

Last edited:

Damigos

Had to look it up and I immediately recognized it. I'm sure I played it when I was younger

Makes me wonder how many games I played that I totally forgot
This is a good reason to have trophies, at least for me. From 2007-2008 onwards everything is tracked and i usually check to see the old days.
Ofc that doesnt apply to periods older than that

IAmRei

and the ship design is my favorite <3
i played again in emulator in my phone few years ago,
the game still hard as hell for me even after these decade : ))

demonstr8

People always disagree with me but R Type Delta is the best one for me.
The game kind of went beyond that feeling of playing something and becomes experiencing something instead. The levels and their designs, the music that goes with them and the bosses that you encounter just turn it into a feeling like you're being reborn as you close in on the end of the game - it has this kind of embryonic feeling in the last level as well. I'm probably articulating it poorly but playing it at night alone with some good speakers you almost can't pull away from the immersion. You really have to just experience it for yourself.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
People always disagree with me but R Type Delta is the best one for me.
The game kind of went beyond that feeling of playing something and becomes experiencing something instead. The levels and their designs, the music that goes with them and the bosses that you encounter just turn it into a feeling like you're being reborn as you close in on the end of the game - it has this kind of embryonic feeling in the last level as well. I'm probably articulating it poorly but playing it at night alone with some good speakers you almost can't pull away from the immersion. You really have to just experience it for yourself.
You know what. Super r-type at the end level felt amazing what system is delta on ?

Love old school shmups, and love that people will still make threads to talk about them 30 years after, on a forum not dependent on upvotes for visibility.

I haven't actually played Super R-Type, but I should since it's on NSO. I cut my teeth on R-Type Final and really enjoyed it, and have played the original a little bit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Speaking of old school shmups on the snes. I gotta rate super Aleste over Axlay.

Axlay had the better graphics’s but in my minds eye super aleste plays better.

Oh and I remember Phalanx being good to

Any other recommendations?

Vindicator

SNES wise Pop'n Twinbee and Parodius on the more colorful side, also Darius Twin.
On the PC-Engine there's the first Cho Aniki (the later titles got more and more absurd).

Beechos

Speaking of old school shmups on the snes. I gotta rate super Aleste over Axlay.

Axlay had the better graphics’s but in my minds eye super aleste plays better.

Oh and I remember Phalanx being good to

Any other recommendations?
Horizontal besides like gradius/parodius I guess carrier wing. My favorite though is m.u.s.h.a on genesis but it's vertical though.

nush

Love old school shmups, and love that people will still make threads to talk about them 30 years after, on a forum not dependent on upvotes for visibility.
I noticed that no matter how big my TV was that I did not play as well at shumps as I used to. I’m just too far away from the screen as they were designed to be played.

Had a little think about this. PS4 VR cinema mode. The scores don’t lie, I was scoring way higher. OG Darius amongst others was perfect. I recognised this was an insane level of tech advancement for a 16bit shump, but was totally worth it.

Knightime_X

I remember when this was game fairly new, I used a cheat to see if I can beat the final level from a fresh start on the hardest setting.
It's damn near impossible. lol

Top Bottom