• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Community Thread and |OT|

Amazon showed up as having my game delivered Tuesday, so I canceled and got the digital version. I guess a lot of retailers weren't ready for the massive orders?

Amazon showed up as having my game delivered Tuesday, so I canceled and got the digital version. I guess a lot of retailers weren't ready for the massive orders?

Best Buy in store had a TON of them. I ordered mine online in June. I’m very surprised there are so many issues.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I’m taking the bullet and getting used to default controls, the custom layout is really hard to remember to set prior to the match

Best Buy in store had a TON of them. I ordered mine online in June. I’m very surprised there are so many issues.
Who knows. I pre-ordered my copy in July and have Prime. Only thing I missed out on was the discount. Now I'm just counting down the minutes at work so I can go play!

Mozza

Good graphics face off between the Wii U and Switch,this is one very nice looking game on the Switch.

Shouta

Huh. Alright. I'll give that a shot.
Thanks.

In case you lose to a character, rematches will show up in Games & Other or whatever the blue option is where Classic Mode can be found. I've already unlocked the entire roster using this method, lol.

I’m taking the bullet and getting used to default controls, the custom layout is really hard to remember to set prior to the match

Default for Joycons and the GC pad are pretty decent. I usually map throw to my other left trigger though so I don't have to move to do it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is there some sort of tutorial mode that explains things? I’m trying to play but everything just kicks my ass.

I think only Donkey Kong looks better on the WiiU, because they used a more aggressive fur shader. Stylistic difference, but still, I prefer my DK extra furry.

Ecto311

Is there some sort of tutorial mode that explains things? I’m trying to play but everything just kicks my ass.
Was going to ask the same thing. Any good yt videos to learn how this works? Can't keep having my 9yr old kicking my ass here. Button mashing kiddo keeps stopping me here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Her feel is much different from smash 4; I feel like I can maneuver more with her Farore attacks in a fashion that is seamless and more offensive for the more agile selections my opponents may come after me with.
i like you i think i agree

Grinchy

Banned
As someone who never really played this series somehow, I can see why it's liked. I just still suck. I get the movesets, but even just simple traversal is not making sense to my brain yet. I'm playing on the gamecube controller though, so that's nice.

Last edited:

I think the only thing that bothers me is how long you need to not be attacking to turn. I have it on high sensitivity and it helps but there is an obvious delay.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Was going to ask the same thing. Any good yt videos to learn how this works? Can't keep having my 9yr old kicking my ass here. Button mashing kiddo keeps stopping me here.

I just found if you don’t press any buttons for a little bit on the title screen it plays a tutorial video that explains the controls.

It looks like the same video is under vault -> movies too.

Last edited:

noqtic

Maybe it's because I haven't played Smash for about 2 or 3 years but these levels 9 are tough. If I win its barely and Ness keeps kicking my ass.

Last edited:
Did anyone else cave in and pick up some amiibo for it like me :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

giphy.gif

Shouta

God i suck at this game, how do i play pikachu? All im hitting is A and falling off midgar.

All of the characters control the same so it's just learning the quirks of their attacks and movies. I'd say first get a grasp of movement, jumping around the stage, controlling your falls, pressing down to fall faster, etc. Learn the moves and attacks after that. Then you can combine to two to figure out how to attack your opponent and what ways are best to approach them.

Maybe it's because I haven't played Smash for about 2 or 3 years but these levels 9 are tough. If I win its barely and Ness keeps kicking my ass.

The AI seems to be really strong in this, way more so than I remember them being in Smash 4. It's kind of wild.

Reave

I’m pretty bad/new at this game, too. But, after unlocking Bayonetta, I’m getting a much better grasp of the mechanics because I recognize her moves from the series. Ever since I’ve used her, I’ve been doing a lot better with other fighters.

Dzab

Is there any way to invite friends in the game, or even message them?

I just got a new Switch and was given a prompt to add friends I had on the 3DS years ago.
I can make a battle arena but... no way to talk to them, tell him to join, invite or anything.

Am I missing something?

Joyful

Is there any way to invite friends in the game, or even message them?

I just got a new Switch and was given a prompt to add friends I had on the 3DS years ago.
I can make a battle arena but... no way to talk to them, tell him to join, invite or anything.

Am I missing something?

no, its actually that sad

if you have the nintendo phone app you can talk to people in battle arenas if they also have it.
just download and run the app before playing smash. I talked to one rando yesterday, it does work.
just ass backwards way of doing it

Last edited:

Greedings

As someone who loves smash, but is a filthy casual who will never, ever, ever, play online....

Should I get it? Is the single player meaty? I found Smash4's single player was kinda bland.
If I had buddies who played it'd be no question, but I doubt I'll ever have people at my place playing smash like in university and school.

Last edited:

jadedm17

This game is blowing me away graphically... and the sound design is incredible, I feel horrible killing Squietle and Ken got a few punches in while I'd admired his texturing.

I'm freaking giddy, same as Odyssey, pure childlike glee. I love my Switch and I'll never get the haters.

As someone who loves smash, but is a filthy casual who will never, ever, ever, play online....

Should I get it? Is the single player meaty? I found Smash4's single player was kinda bland.
If I had buddies who played it'd be no question, but I doubt I'll ever have people at my place playing smash like in university and school.

An hour into the branching large story I'm having fun, the challenge variety is great and just seeing games recognized even just stickers is neat. Easy yes.

I'll also suggest I'm sure there's a Smash GAF, if not message me I'll play online. Destiny GAF gave me some memorable times so there's some great people who that'll play to your level, schedule etc.

Mozza

I think only Donkey Kong looks better on the WiiU, because they used a more aggressive fur shader. Stylistic difference, but still, I prefer my DK extra furry.

Not too sure,I think the Wii U model looks more blurry than furry imho.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Just got back from a party of Smash nerds playing across several TVs. I am an outsider to the franchise (other than Smash Wii U, which I did play a bit more).

- graphics are stunning. The animations and effects reveal the care put into the game
- didn't think I would like the Spirits instead of Trophies, but I think it's okay. There are a LOT of Spirits: over 1,200.
- the options to customize each match and stage is crazy
- tons of extra modes
- single-player Adventure mode feels like it belongs in the game; doesn't give the impression of a rushjob
- I dislike having to unlock characters, though. Would've loved to jump right in and start playing with all characters. Certain modes suffer without most/all of the characters unlocked (such as the tourney mode where characters can only be used once and the roster continues shrinking)

Mozza

The new models have far more detail and the lighting is much better on the Switch,I think because of the PS4 and Xbox One consoles raw power we sometimes forget that the Switch is a souped up handheld hybrid console,that being said it's got a lot more under the hood than the Wii U.

Ten_Fold

Finally unlocked everyone, might play a little story mode after work tomorrow then hop online, man the cpu ain’t no joke when it comes to unlocking characters lol.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I’m still surprised at the depth of the controls. Although I can’t reliably do the moves where it’s a sort of half input towards your enemy and attack. Some of those are good moves as well

Grinchy

Banned
I think the only thing that bothers me is how long you need to not be attacking to turn. I have it on high sensitivity and it helps but there is an obvious delay.

I'm so new to this, but I keep thinking the same thing. Just moving around and doing general platforming feels so clunky to me already, but turning around when I want to attack the other side seems extra slow.

cormack12

Gold Member
OK, I suck. I just had my first fight, randomly selected Yoshi - I mean does this lizard even have any attacks? I jumped a bit and turned into an egg. Back to the drawing board.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome, a Smash thread. A good place to ask some advice from Smash-GAF.

As a bit of background, I have owned every Smash game released to date. I always get hyped about them, mess around the many modes and characters for a few hours, and then never come back. I have never got Smash “click” on me. But seeing how passionate people are about Smash, I really want to get into it.

So my questions are

1. How do I start with Ultimate? Pick one character and learn in really well, or try a huge range of characters? Play the story mode or jump straight online?

2. What is your “Smash gameplay loop”? Meaning, how do you play it when playing on a daily basis? As an example, my CoD loop is jumping into Mercenaries TDM for ten or twenty matches, and then doing solo Blackout runs.

It’s probably worth mentioning that I don’t have irl friends who would play Smash.

Sephie

Neo Member
Bought this yesterday. Only tried out World of Light so far but the game seems just as fun as I hoped it would be.
I'm not a superbig fan of the Smash- series (the last one i enjoyed was probably the first one on n64) but I am so ready for this new "Ultimate" iteration.

I suck at it, and I want to unlock more characters faster, but I don't want to cheese my way to it.
My main(s) will probably be Link, Cloud, Snake and maybe Fox. We'll see. Hyped to try out Ridley.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, a Smash thread. A good place to ask some advice from Smash-GAF.

As a bit of background, I have owned every Smash game released to date. I always get hyped about them, mess around the many modes and characters for a few hours, and then never come back. I have never got Smash “click” on me. But seeing how passionate people are about Smash, I really want to get into it.

So my questions are

1. How do I start with Ultimate? Pick one character and learn in really well, or try a huge range of characters? Play the story mode or jump straight online?

2. What is your “Smash gameplay loop”? Meaning, how do you play it when playing on a daily basis? As an example, my CoD loop is jumping into Mercenaries TDM for ten or twenty matches, and then doing solo Blackout runs.

It’s probably worth mentioning that I don’t have irl friends who would play Smash.
You’re in my boat more or less,

I’m having fun with the classic mode to drive unlocking characters.

It’s good to run through a tutorial/start thing online, figure out how to grab shield and dodge (hard to remember) then try to smash some fools.

I think for starting, pick someone without too many weird moves, Mario is both pretty strong and pretty vanilla, so he’s a good option.

The strategy vs pc and human is pretty crazy different, I would really recommend spectating some arena matches. Learning yourself you won’t immediately figure out that jumping away from a guy, pushing towards them and doing a normal attack is one of Mario’s best moves, for example

Chittagong

Gold Member
You’re in my boat more or less,

I’m having fun with the classic mode to drive unlocking characters.

It’s good to run through a tutorial/start thing online, figure out how to grab shield and dodge (hard to remember) then try to smash some fools.

I think for starting, pick someone without too many weird moves, Mario is both pretty strong and pretty vanilla, so he’s a good option.

The strategy vs pc and human is pretty crazy different, I would really recommend spectating some arena matches. Learning yourself you won’t immediately figure out that jumping away from a guy, pushing towards them and doing a normal attack is one of Mario’s best moves, for example

Thanks, much appreciated! I’ll look up a tutorial video and get going!

Shaqazooloo

I'm unlocking all the characters through Classic mode. I'm at 40 characters right now so I still have a ways to go.

My feelings on the game right now I feel are kind of mixed. I really love the single player, might even be better than Melee and Brawls Single player content, i'm really enjoying myself there. The online, however is a bit clunky. I dont really want to go into too much detail of my issues with it, but 2 things i'm not a fan of is the match making (atleast early on), I'm getting put into free-for-all matches despite my preference being 1-on-1. and in Arena I am unable to use the settings that I have set up in My Music for the probability of songs playing.

I also don't know if i'm a fan of how this game plays, it's weird playing Melee for a year and then coming to this... it feels a little off to me. I think it plays well, its just feels kind of jank to me.

Overall though, i'm having fun and enjoying myself. Seems pretty good and I hope I can improve at this Smash.

I might join in on some online fights once I get all the characters.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
My biggest personal gripe on this game is that you can’t play with cpus online in a personal game lobby. (A feature that was in Wii U and 3ds

Disappointed it is gone and hope they patch it in.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
am i missing the feature in arena where you can spectate while waiting? it seems like you can 'spectate OR wait' which seems really really silly.

Zeusexy

Should I buy this? I really enjoyed melee a long time ago but never touched anything remotely close by then.
The thing that annoys me and keeps me on the fence is the season pass. I mean, they're selling a game from 4 years ago for full price on top of the season pass...
Don't really know if I should reward this greed. Opinions?

Top Bottom