• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Community Thread and |OT|

Fbh

So what's the consensus con the online mode? Does it work well?
Anyone here that had lag issues on WiiU but here?

I functioning online would probably get me to buy this and the Nintendo online subscriptions but based on my experience with Smash WiiU (which was unplayable online for me) I not eager to spend $80 just to find out if this is better

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
So what's the consensus con the online mode? Does it work well?
Anyone here that had lag issues on WiiU but here?

I functioning online would probably get me to buy this and the Nintendo online subscriptions but based on my experience with Smash WiiU (which was unplayable online for me) I not eager to spend $80 just to find out if this is better

I'm hearing from all type of sources that the Online mode is a bit disappointing, especially coming from those who like For Glory (as do I). I have not been able to develop my own conclusions (given my reluctance in paying for Nintendo Online) but if anything sounds like its worse than for glory, I wouldn't even touch it. It was pretty much the most precious part of Smash 4's online (in my opinion).

zenspider

Is there some sort of tutorial mode that explains things? I’m trying to play but everything just kicks my ass.
Was going to ask the same thing. Any good yt videos to learn how this works? Can't keep having my 9yr old kicking my ass here. Button mashing kiddo keeps stopping me here.

I watched some videos by IzawSmash that at least got me some idea of Smash fundamentals. I think it will be a space to watch as the hardcore come to grips with the game.

Anyone else have any good suggestions for beginner resources?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I feel sorry for people that had smash parties and want everything unlocked. Man this grind is awful

zenspider

Should I buy this? I really enjoyed melee a long time ago but never touched anything remotely close by then.
The thing that annoys me and keeps me on the fence is the season pass. I mean, they're selling a game from 4 years ago for full price on top of the season pass...
Don't really know if I should reward this greed. Opinions?

First, this is not a game from 4 years ago. I feel like that was debunked a long time ago, but it's pretty clear on release.

Second, there is such a glut of content in the base game, and every DLC character is starting from scratch (and likely all 3rd party characters plus music) it's not that greedy. This isn't locked content being monetized here either.
If we were talking Smash 4, sure. Base Ultimate however is very, very generous.

Tha's my feeling anyway. I'm not buying the pass and will happily go piecemeal if I'm still really actively playing - same as every other fighting game today.

zenspider

I feel sorry for people that had smash parties and want everything unlocked. Man this grind is awful

Back in my day, we had 8 characters and three Mad Catz N64 controllers and had to play in the snow, uphill both ways. And we were grateful!

Kids these days...

MastAndo

Gold Member
I don't mind the melody of the Ultimate main theme playing in the menus, but my goodness, the version with lyrics is some of the most cringeworthy, unlistenable drivel I've heard in a while. I can't skip it fast enough when the game loads.

jadedm17

To be fair you could play another game with 8, 16 maybe 20 or so characters.

It's nice to want things right away but I'm enjoying the ride personally. No rush.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Really an odd choice about the online.

It’s fun though. I get wildly frustrated with falls though, I always accidentally burn my double jump immediately then can’t get back. I usually die first or second, while being better on the ground than the others in a ffa.

Ecto311

I didn't realize this till a friend went at midnight and got it and planned to play and only had 7 open. I thought it was 7 for the mode I was tinkering around in. Knowing that you have to fuck around and get them all unlocked by doing doofy shit I assume this will be traded in by the end of the weekend. What could the reasoning be for unlocking characters aside from making it longer of a game? Does it allow you to figure out the core 7 before diving deeper? How the fuck is there 70 or so characters and we get dick to start with? Is there a speed guide or method to getting them all opened up? Never had to unlock my block shapes in tetris on gameboy!

Codes 208

Fuck, I wasn’t expecting it to be this hard to find a wireless GameCube controller.

It’s really not. For starters, of all the smash bros games only one launched with 98% of the roster unlocked and I hated it. I love unlocking characters, a new challenger approaches is one of the best parts of smash bros.

People should know by now what they’re getting into, plus unlocking characters is easy in this game.

Shaqazooloo

Personally, I really enjoy unlock characters. It's one of my favorite things to do in Melee and kind of why I drop some other fighting games. I need to feel like I'm progressing and having no unlock able characters makes me feel like I don't really have anything to do. I wasn't a big fan of the majority of the roster being unlocked in Smash 4 tbh.

Last edited:

kingbean

I've got clocked in around 9 hours and I've got 46 characters. It's a process, but I'm just doing down the line beating classic mode.

I'm loving the game though, it's a fun time.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Went to pick up a new gamecube controller for Smash. Got a couple of Gamestops (eugh) nearby and found one with one in stock. Wanted to trade in some Wiimotes in the meantime, had to wait in line for an hour from people slagging along for Smash Bros. Christmas presents and Nintendo Switches.

Ending up getting a vendor-exclusive Smash pin from the clerk for my troubles! It was awesome. Gonna maybe wear it on my backpack or something.

StAidan

Only been able to spend a few hours with the game, but feel like I'm settling back in after being away from Smash for a couple years. Mostly focused on unlocking characters right now, mostly playing Link as he's been my longest-running character that I've been most comfortable with (ever since Smash 64). I'm looking to learn some new characters this time around, but it'll be a while before I've got everyone lined up to choose from!

Anyway, really enjoying myself so far. Some stuff's changed, some is the same -- but it feels like home.

Isa

So far its ok, I like the amount of content, though I'm not thrilled about having to unlock a ton as my time is limited. I tried that stock match trick but it hasn't worked for me. But as I was playing normally I was challenged finally but I lost, barely, and when I went to the menu to challenge him there was no option. That rustled my jimmies. Ah well, I'll just play casually and hope that occasionally throughout the year I get a new character lol.

Shouta

There is a quick way to unlock characters if folks want to though it still takes a few hours to do considering the size of the cast.

Holy balls, Simon is good. Like really, really,really good. He has great utility, recovery, and mobility. I haven't unlocked Richter but I'm loving Simon.

So far its ok, I like the amount of content, though I'm not thrilled about having to unlock a ton as my time is limited. I tried that stock match trick but it hasn't worked for me. But as I was playing normally I was challenged finally but I lost, barely, and when I went to the menu to challenge him there was no option. That rustled my jimmies. Ah well, I'll just play casually and hope that occasionally throughout the year I get a new character lol.

You can challenge em again, typically after another play through on classic mode an option will open up on the "games & modes" screen which will go through any challengers you haven't unlocked.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
My Zelda & Palutena remain unbeatable; next up, Zero Suit Samus. Zelda really has gone up in utility for me. I no longer feel like I am at the mercy of shorter fighters (pichu, shizue, murabito) since she is able to maneuver with Farore abilities. Loving the game so far, though I can't say I'm happy about the state of Online play.

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm right around 40 characters unlocked just doing classic mode trying to beat the game with each character once before I make my way into Online

My favs thus far is Princess Peach and Zero Suit Samus

I can see how some could be disappointed initially by needing to unlock so many characters. But at the same time I feel like that's absolutely the point of this game and it's worth the time.

Spirit mode is interesting and quite frustrating at times

ChuyMasta

Jesus Christ. Elite online fights are no joke!

I was doing ok at first but now I keep losing. Incineroar is just too much!

SegaShack

Played this game for the first time yesterday the right way with friends over (our same group of friends would play Melee since it came out). While we initially enjoyed Brawl and Smash 4, we all agreed the new Smash is easily the best once post Melee. I really enjoy the physics and feel of it.

One thing I thought would bug me is unlocking characters in a party game. However, we actually ended up really enjoying having the small roster and then slowly playing as new characters as they unlock. In a way it forces you to try everyone out which actually makes the game more enjoyable in a strange way.

We had a blast with all the modes besides the RPG mode. Classic and Smash are great though and I love using Stage Transformation, it lets you do two stages as one match. Great game! Can’t wait to keep playing.

Is the online any good? Brawl’s and Smash 4’s was terrible and I was worried about a repeat. I would actually pay for good Smash online if it is decent.

Last edited:

God Enel

I'm watching forsen on stream and the game seems so much fun. I love the shitload of stages from yoshis island to yoshis story like everything is included but I'm blown away that they have King K. Rool. That's a reason for me to buy a switch.

I'm right around 40 characters unlocked just doing classic mode trying to beat the game with each character once before I make my way into Online

My favs thus far is Princess Peach and Zero Suit Samus

I can see how some could be disappointed initially by needing to unlock so many characters. But at the same time I feel like that's absolutely the point of this game and it's worth the time.

Spirit mode is interesting and quite frustrating at times

Some of the challenges in spirit board are really fking hard.

I even have a near 9k total power primary spirit maxed at 99 from an amiibo (alm&celica) and I still have a rough time.

TrainedRage

Banned
Things I have noticed so far....

Im a lot more stupider than I was as a kid apparently.
Im good with DK?
I get worse the longer I play.
I need a bigger TV.
JoyCons cost way too much.
My real life friends like me again.
Im afraid of online.
I have ADHD now.

I'm about 4-5 hours in and have unlocked probably 8-10 characters. Early impressions are: it is my favorite Smash, by far. I'm enjoying all the single player stuff but also having fun playing Classic mode with my daughter (it's cool that you get a medal for solo and 2-player in Classic mode) as well as a handful of Quickplay matches online. I've also rediscovered my love of Samus - love the Super Missile!! It will be cool to get really good with her again, as I haven't enjoyed playing Smash as Samus for a while.

I've never cared much about the Smash series, but Ultimate has really sucked me in. I can't even comprehend the amount of content it has and the amount of time it will take to 'complete' this monster.

iconmaster

Banned
I wasn’t expecting it to be this hard to find a wireless GameCube controller.

I assume you’re trying to order a PowerA controller and not picking up a Wavebird on eBay?

(Btw there are lot of lookalike Wavebird knockoffs on eBay — be careful out there.)

Codes 208

I assume you’re trying to order a PowerA controller and not picking up a Wavebird on eBay?

(Btw there are lot of lookalike Wavebird knockoffs on eBay — be careful out there.)
Yes. I’m specifically looking for a PowerA controller because it also functions as a pro controller and I would kill to play games like Mario odyssey with a GC controller.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
picked this up today at a Gamestop. i asked if they had any Pokemon Let's Go with the Pokeballs. they were sold out of the combo packs and the individual pokeballs.

me and a friend took turns playing through the Adventure mode. i heard it's the best way to unlock characters but i could be mistaken. im a total Smash noob. the first match we did, it turned out we just watched the computer fight, twice, and then i accidentally forfeited when it was my turn. lol.

the cutscenes are beyond cool. the game looks amazing and it plays really well too. gonna enjoy this.

Last edited:

olimariOA

Banned
Do they have voice chat yet?

What I loved about Smash 64 and Melee was talking shit and being able to interact with friends when something crazy happened.
Selecting "I'm using tilt controls" after a match doesn't even come close to replicating that.

I'm 33. In room multiplayer isn't a reality for me anymore and Nintendo doesn't seem to be taking any steps to provide an online experience that plays up the strengths of the franchise.

CatCouch

Boy, this game is humbling me. Games must have gotten so much easier over time that Smash is kicking my ass. I'm out of fighting shape, lol.

Ulysses 31

Boy, this game is humbling me. Games must have gotten so much easier over time that Smash is kicking my ass. I'm out of fighting shape, lol.
You playing adventure mode? I made the mistake of ignoring the spirit power of an opponent once and got absolutely destroyed repeatedly till I figured out that something wasn't adding up... >.>

red_shift

Neo Member
I see that trophies aren't a thing anymore in Ultimate but is there any way to see more info on Spirits?
I really liked the descriptions in Melee for the obscure characters.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Trophy
"Due to the increasing number of universes represented in the game, as well as the sheer number of fighters in the game, developing trophies was deemed impractical and they were cut early in development. As such, trophies do not return in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, instead being replaced by Spirits as its successor, whose in-game concept is similar to that of the Stickers from Brawl. This makes Ultimate the first Smash Bros. game since the original where trophies do not appear. "

Shouta

Do they have voice chat yet?

What I loved about Smash 64 and Melee was talking shit and being able to interact with friends when something crazy happened.
Selecting "I'm using tilt controls" after a match doesn't even come close to replicating that.

I'm 33. In room multiplayer isn't a reality for me anymore and Nintendo doesn't seem to be taking any steps to provide an online experience that plays up the strengths of the franchise.

Voice chat is only through their phone app. It's a weird system.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I swear to god the CPU on level 9 doesn't give a shit who you are. I feel they boosted the CPU AI in this game to the max

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Who's everyone been gravitating towards?

The fighter I easily have the most fun with is King K Rool...the trolling with that guy is just so fun. Edge guard with crown throw and cannon shot, gun suck-em and chuck em...invincibility frames on his down smash and dash attacks. For a huge dude he's pretty damn quick on his moveset...and his up-air is a KO machine. Down tilt buries people for easy boxing glove smashes. Feels super top tier to me.

Inkling is insanely fun as well, but I can tell I'm going to have to have more finesse to play 'em right. The ink bombs are devastating and the damage amp from inking people is like 60%+.

Wii Fit Trainer?! All of their smashes and tilts and aerials feels really really good.

And Game and Watch will always have a special place in my heart. I actually can do fairly well with him despite his fair being completely changed to this bomb drop thing. As long as he's got my hammer of mystery and might and the ability to throw cooked objects at people, he'll always be in my rotation. Just too fun. And best taunts in the game.

CatCouch

You playing adventure mode? I made the mistake of ignoring the spirit power of an opponent once and got absolutely destroyed repeatedly till I figured out that something wasn't adding up... >.>
Same. I fought some battle 5 or more times before it clicked that I was not in an even fight, lol. I started using autopick for spirits on battles that give me trouble. It helps!

Shouta

I've been playing a lot of characters but a lot of Wolf and Roy. Too bad, I keep getting absolutely horrid matches with them because I keep doing quick play instead of Room matches. :messenger_anxious:

Top Bottom