• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Apex Legends digital revenue down 74% in two months.

This news made my day
hhh.png

prag16

Banned
Most of the people I used to play this with who still play (I generally don't) haven't been too happy with some of the recent updates and changes. EA kills another golden goose?

Tesseract

Banned
royales are a slow ship, people for whatever reason keep thinking fortnite was a runaway instant success, same for pubg

apex will get there, there's no worries

prag16

Banned
Why? The new update is great. I have been playing morenow than ever.
Mostly to do with some of the balance changes to weapons but especially the apparent precipitous drop in TTK in one of the recent updates. And also something about changes to loot spawn and distribution. Affected flow of matches for the worse, according to them. I haven't played since April so I wouldn't know firsthand. I was hoping to get back to it, but now my buds are playing less often after these updates.

Ol'Scratch

I tried to get into it but I would rather have a customizable character of my own instead of stupid toons that some think tank thinks are cool and every game I've played and every game I've watched are the very same characters over and over running running running running running fighting running running running running fighting running running running... it is just not very engaging to me.

I've played it a few times with a friend and we thought it was pretty good but shortly after honeymoon period ended we kinda forgot about it and both of us haven't touched it since. Perhaps more people did the same? Nothing there seems to grab attention for longer and characters are meh. I don't know.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I've played it a few times with a friend and we thought it was pretty good but shortly after honeymoon period ended we kinda forgot about it and both of us haven't touched it since. Perhaps more people did the same? Nothing there seems to grab attention for longer and characters are meh. I don't know.
I think this is part of the problem. You have two choices. Let people customize themselves, play themselves and go crazy with skins and gear or have set characters. The thing is, if you have set characters you have to make people give a shit about them. Blizzard is fantastic at this. Their characters come to life, they do fantastic little video packages, their characters have unique personalities and quirks and they feel natural. Every update continues this, and they interact in ways that feel alive and natural. The characters in Apex feel like some art students got together and threw together some "cool designs" and then a basic effort was put into bringing them to life but nothing more.
They only that that keeps them going are some have some cool moves.

i know im just venting. but the game is repetitive and thats the main reason.

And fortnite isn’t?

One thing that really bothers me about this game is that I can’t play solo or duo. That I feel played a huge part in the lower population.

Also, the stuff you unlock is mostly underwhelming. Most of the skins are ugly and give me no incentive to grind.

McCheese

They are making money still, and the team have decent working conditions. The only people this is a loss for is EA, who given the chance, would probably have 3 satellite studios churning out pay-to-win content by now. Don't let the schadenfreude of seeing a fortnite clone underperform take away from Respawn actually doing the right thing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Season 2 looks pretty good to me. They need to devote more resources to the cheating problem, though. It is out of hand on PC. Adding ranked just makes it painfully obvious.

Mista

Banned
Most of the people I used to play this with who still play (I generally don't) haven't been too happy with some of the recent updates and changes. EA kills another golden goose?
New update and season are great so what are they complaining about exactly? The game is definitely in a better place now...

Cynn

I think this is part of the problem. You have two choices. Let people customize themselves, play themselves and go crazy with skins and gear or have set characters. The thing is, if you have set characters you have to make people give a shit about them. Blizzard is fantastic at this. Their characters come to life, they do fantastic little video packages, their characters have unique personalities and quirks and they feel natural. Every update continues this, and they interact in ways that feel alive and natural. The characters in Apex feel like some art students got together and threw together some "cool designs" and then a basic effort was put into bringing them to life but nothing more.
They only that that keeps them going are some have some cool moves.
I think this is all just a matter of taste.

Personally the entire Overwatch roster comes off as design by committee, Disney-ish, safe for consumption husks to me where as in Apex there’s a story going on built off lore from Titanfall where these characters fit into a bigger world than a couple FMV sequences and voice lines can convey.

We know what being an IMC soldier like Bangalore is like because we were one in Titanfall. We know where Pathfinder is from because we saw (and smashed) a lot of his brothers in T1 and T2. It all feeds into a bigger canvas to paint on and their voice lines and interactions mean a lot more to fans of the existing lore due to this.

They’re also telling a story with the map it’s self with events directly happening that relate to new additions to the roster. Players get to participate in world events unfolding together that lead to new characters and gameplay additions.

For me it’s all much more interesting.

Tesseract

Banned
I tried to get into it but I would rather have a customizable character of my own instead of stupid toons that some think tank thinks are cool and every game I've played and every game I've watched are the very same characters over and over running running running running running fighting running running running running fighting running running running... it is just not very engaging to me.

it's whatever you want it to be

if you want to fight all the time, there's a third party around every door
the very best players are aggressive psycho mutant maniacs with purps and gold near end game

still believe respawn are years ahead of the game re: mechanics, nothing else plays like this and i doubt anyone will catch up soon

whereas overwatch's design feels very by the numbers and limiting (by committee), apex is taking serious chances with some of these designs

New update and season are great so what are they complaining about exactly? The game is definitely in a better place now...

ya, seems strange to me, people saying a lot of this stuff either don't play or played before s01, decided they hated it, and feel the need to shit from afar

and not to tie this to anyone here, but the whole 'loot sim' argument against this genre is so naive it hurts

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I still think this is the best BR game, just needed changes a bit faster, I don’t need the map to change every month, just add small little things. I’ll play whenever I feel like playing a shooter

G-Bus

Banned
That first battle pass kind of soured me on the game. Think I made it to level 20 something.

Played a match last night for the first time in a couple months. Probably won't continue.

Tesseract

Banned
def give it a deeper chance, season 2 is excellent guys, seriously fun stuff coming outta respawn

Last edited:

Despera

Banned
I don't play it but my friends who do have been complaining for a while now.

What exactly did EA do this time. jfc this company saddens the shit out of me now :(

Tesseract

Banned
I don't play it but my friends who do have been complaining for a while now.

What exactly did EA do this time. jfc this company saddens the shit out of me now :(

they didn't do anything, the game is in a great place

only complaint i can see is ranked meta is a little campy right now, that's it

Last edited:
Top Bottom