• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

Hq5AxcA.png

nuJErUG.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Didn't the pilot for this show leak?
A: Yes, in May. As per NeoGAF rules, discussion of piracy is strictly prohibited. Discussion of the pilot episode is allowed, but must be done using spoiler tags until the episode officially airs.

Q: Is this made by the same guys behind Arrow and The Flash?
A: Yes! Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, two of Supergirl's developers and executive producers, also developed, produced, and wrote for Arrow and The Flash. Blake Neely, composer for Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow, is also composer for Supergirl.

Q: Does Superman exist in this show's universe?
A: Yes. Pilot spoilers:
Superman exists, has revealed himself and his powers to the world, and is treated with celebrity-level renown. This has been cause for some concern among pilot-viewers who say that Superman's continual mention but lack of actual appearance will lead to all sorts of "Why doesn't she just get Superman to help?"-type narrative problems. Whether this can be resolved satisfactorily will be seen in future episodes.

Q: Does this show exist in a shared universe with Arrow and The Flash?
A: The short answer: No. The long answer: Probably not. Due to the differences in TV networks, scheduling, and shooting location, crossovers would be very difficult logistically. Also, the setup of the Supergirl universe (where Superman already exists) poses all sorts of narrative problems for Arrow and The Flash which could only be resolved by using alternate universes. Greg Berlanti is on record saying "The network has said publicly at this point they're going to keep her to themselves. I always approach the shows as a fan first, so I would love to see (a crossover). I think in success, all things are possible. But there's a lot that would have to happen before everybody might say yes to that."

Q: What's with all the "girl power" stuff?
A: The show is deliberately aimed at a young female audience, and the pilot contains overt references to feminism, gender equality, and the fact that Supergirl is a female superhero. These references have been met with everything from cautious positivity to mild irritation to full-blown fanboy rage. Whether this tone from the pilot will continue into the main series, or if changes were made, will be seen in future episodes.

Q: How adorable is Melissa Benoist?
A:

oBh7F5L.gif

Normal spoiler rules for TV shows apply:
- Content of episodes that have aired can be talked about openly without spoiler tags. If you care about spoilers, don't enter the thread until you've watched the latest episode!
- Discussion and speculation of upcoming episodes, preview trailers, and casting news must use spoiler tags.

Benoist is doing an amazing job making Supergirl relatable and human.

Exact opposite of Arrow. Although, the first episode of Arrow season four had Human Oliver more than making up for it.

jwk94

Wow, I hadn't realized the show still hadn't premiered. Will this be on Hulu? Also, shouldn't the time be in the OP?

Woohoo! Finally! One week to go! Can't wait.

Good job, man! Looks a lot nicer than the ideas I had in my head for an OT. Hah.

Oh, yeah, nice reference to the movie there.

Walpurgis

Banned
First episode was decent. I think that this will be less Arrow, more Flash (i.e. good). I don't like James Olsen though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hopefully the show gets on less shaky footing than its premiere episode, but there's a decent enough start that this could be really cool.

Evo X

Excited to see how this turns out.

Yet another show to add to my weekly schedule along with Agents of Shield, Gotham, Flash, Arrow, Walking Dead, Last Man on Earth and Heroes. It's getting crowded!

ZeroX03

Banned
Pilot was pretty much Flash's, only weaker. So pretty optimistic, because that pilot was fantastic.

Sick OT, needs more Felicity though.

Here's a long interview with Ali Adler, Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, and Sarah Schachter that was posted in the other thread: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...-not-in-the-show-is-because-its-not-about-him

Here's some reviews:

IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/18/supergirl-pilot-review
It’s certainly not perfect (but what pilot is?) but Supergirl is a fun – if typical – superhero drama with an absolutely magnetic lead actress. Melissa Benoist fully inhabits Kara and her alter-ego, adding a sense of fun and optimism that one would expect from a Superman-inspired world. Though it suffers from cheesy villains, a bland Winn Schott, and too-fast pacing, Supergirl’s pilot is an exciting start to a series that will hopefully grow into something amazing with time.

7.0 Good
Supergirl’s debut isn’t perfect, but a charismatic lead in Melissa Benoist makes it a fun experience.

+Melissa Benoist is magnetic
+Fun take on Superman mythos
+Newsroom scenes

-Villains are cheesy
-Pacing is rapid fire
-Formulaic
Deadline: http://deadline.com/2015/10/supergirl-review-melissa-benoist-cbs-1201583947/
Supergirl is a bounding, deceptively breezy and eminently watchable addition to both the superhero universe and primetime. You really should check out the strong and smart series that finally put a woman in the lead in this latest age of superheroes.

Highly.

She's going to be on Ellen later today. That's from a video she posted announcing it.

I watched some clips from the 1984 Supergirl movie and realised there's a pretty big shout out to it in a flying sequence:

That's pretty cool. I've actually been thinking about watching the movie, despite hearing how bad it is. But it looks hilarious from the clips I've seen, and I used to purposely watch bad movies a lot, so I think I might just do that soon.

Another nice little shout out of sorts is casting Helen Slater herself in there as her adopted mother. Dean Kane's her adopted father. They only appear for a few seconds in the beginning of the pilot. I wonder if we'll see much more them. I'm sure they'll pop up again at some point.

Maximo

SO won't watch flash but perhaps she might watch this...and then I'll slowly get her more Into superhero shows muahaha! Interested in seeing how the show goes, can't possibly turn out as bad as Arrow, hoping it's something nice to watch along with The Flash.

So I know it's not a shared universe with the other DC shows, but does that also mean it doesn't share the same universe with the current Superman movies?

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I know it's not a shared universe with the other DC shows, but does that also mean it doesn't share the same universe with the current Superman movies?

Technically it's still possible for this to cross over with Arrow/Flash, they just haven't committed to it yet (the show was conceived and planned before Flash had even aired, and they didn't know if they'd be able to successfully pull that off at the time, so they didn't commit to anything). As of now, it's not happening, but until they start outright contradicting the other show's characters, it's still possible.

As for the movies, this is definitely separate.

so shes 24 now.

Was 12 when kal el was an infant

has been super girl for years

kal el came out as superman as 8-10 year old ? whut Did i miss something? (just based on the text in the op)

seems weird. Hope itll get to euro netflix faster than flash so we can get to watch it. Still havent got flash s1 here

so shes 24 now.

kal el came out as superman as 8-10 year old ? whut Did i miss something? (just based on the text in the op)

She was stuck in the Phantom Zone for very, very, very long time. She didn't age because of that, so she was still a little girl when she arrived, even though Superman was in his 20's.

Skux

so shes 24 now.

seems weird. Hope itll get to euro netflix faster than flash so we can get to watch it. Still havent got flash s1 here

P8tJImV.gif

But really, it's explained in the pilot.

Shaanyboi

Banned
so shes 24 now.

Kal-El was sent when he was an infant, she was sent off when she was a teenager. Her ship "got lost" along the way, and it's sometimes explained as her being in a type of cryo stasis which didn't really age her, or she was caught in the "Phantom Zone", or weird black hole astrophysics time relativity craziness. Point is, by the time she landed on Earth and was woken up, Clark had landed years prior and had already been Superman for a while.

I like all of these Rocketeer avatars in here. The movie was one of my favorites growing up. I used to have a bendy figure...actually, I might have had two. I also own two copies of the NES game. Hah. I rented the SNES one, but couldn't get past the race at the beginning. I've been wanting to get that new figure that came out recently.

...anyway, I'll just leave this here in case it changes later:

Slayven

Kal-El was sent when he was an infant, she was sent off when she was a teenager. Her ship "got lost" along the way, and it's sometimes explained as her being in a type of cryo stasis which didn't really age her, or she was caught in the "Phantom Zone", or weird black hole astrophysics time relativity craziness. Point is, by the time she landed on Earth and was woken up, Clark had landed years prior and had already been Superman for a while.

Damn you

She was stuck in the Phantom Zone for very, very, very long time. She didn't age because of that, so she was still a little girl when she arrived, even though Superman was in his 20's.

P8tJImV.gif

But really, it's explained in the pilot.
^amazing gif. Made me chuckle

Thanks guys. It did seem like a pretty big oversight, now it makes a lot more sense. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom