• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse |OT| - coming to Blu/DVD Sep 2010. First trailer inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sbapoc_boxart.jpg
<-- Available on Blu Ray & DVD on September 28, 2010

sbapoc_header1.jpg

After a spaceship splashes down in Gotham City Harbor, Batman and Superman encounter a mysterious Kryptonian with powers as great as those of the Man of Steel. The Kryptonian is soon revealed to be Kara, cousin of Superman, who takes her under his wing to educate her about the ways of Earth. However, the villainous Darkseid has other plans. Seeing an opportunity to finally defeat Superman, Darkseid abducts and gains control of Kara, utilizing the powerful Kryptonian to do his bidding. It’s up to Batman and Superman to save Kara, but they’ll have to take the fight to Darkseid within his hostile world – where unknown, deadly threats lurk around every corner, including a brainwashed Kryptonian able to match Superman blow-for-blow.

Rated PG-13 for violence and brief sensuality

sbapoc_header2.jpg

To save an earthbound Kryptonian, the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight unite once again – this time to battle the powerful forces of Darkseid – in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, the ninth entry in the popular, ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original PG-13 Movies coming September 28, 2010 from Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation. The highly anticipated, full-length film will be distributed by Warner Home Video as a Special Edition Blu-Ray™ and 2-Disc Special Edition DVD as well as single disc DVD. The film will also be available On Demand and for Download.

Fan favorites Tim Daly (Private Practice) and Kevin Conroy (Tour of Duty) return to their seminal roles as Superman and Batman, respectively. The celebrity-laden guest cast is headed by Andre Braugher (Men of a Certain Age) as the daunting Darkseid. Sci-Fi heroine Summer Glau (Serenity/Firefly, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) provides the voice of Supergirl, and seven-time Emmy Award winner Ed Asner (Up) reprises his Superman: The Animated Series/Justice League role as Granny Goodness.

Based on the DC Comics series/graphic novel Superman/Batman: Supergirl by Jeph Loeb, Michael Turner & Peter Steigerwald, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is produced by animation legend Bruce Timm and directed by Lauren Montgomery (Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths) from a script by Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Tab Murphy (Gorillas in the Mist).

[...]

In addition to the feature film, the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Special Edition Blu-Ray™ and 2-Disc Special Edition DVD include the third DC Showcase animated short, Green Arrow. Screenwriter Greg Weisman’s story finds Oliver Queen at the Star City International Airport to pick up his girlfriend, only to be forced into action as Green Arrow to protect the 10-year-old Princess of Vlatava from his old nemesis Merlyn the Magnificent and the League of Assassins. The short features the voices of Neal McDonough (Desperate Housewives) and Malcolm McDowell (Entourage). Bruce Timm is executive producer.

[...]

"Great things happen when powerful entities come together, and the partnership of Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation is proud to continue this popular film series by once again uniting the two most popular characters in the DC Universe in a story that truly tests their strength, trust, loyalty, ingenuity and heroism," said Matt Bierman, Senior Vice President Production, Warner Premiere.

"It is a testament to the larger-than-life nature of Jeph Loeb’s blockbuster storylines that two of the first nine DC Universe movies are based on his work," said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment. "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse lets us see Superman and Batman in action side-by-side again, but this time along with Supergirl and one of DC's greatest villains, Darkseid."

"Just as Superman and Batman stand atop the DC canon of characters, so do the respective seminal voices of Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy in the hearts and minds of fans. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will no doubt please comic-centric and mainstream audiences alike – particularly in the performances of Daly and Conroy opposite dynamic actors like Andre Braugher and Ed Asner, and fanboy favorite Summer Glau," said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brands.

You can read the press release in its entirety HERE.

sbapoc_header3.jpg

Superman/Batman:
Tim Daly as the voice of Superman
Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman
Summer Glau as the voice of Supergirl
Andre Braugher as the voice of Darkseid
Ed Asner as the voice of Granny Goodness
??? as the voice of Wonder Woman
??? as the voice of Big Barda

Scripted by Tab Murphy
Directed by Lauren Montgomery
Produced by Bruce Timm

Based on the DC Comics series "Superman/Batman: Supergirl" by writer Jeph Loeb and (the late) artist Michael Turner

Green Arrow:
Neal McDonough as the voice of Green Arrow
Malcolm McDowell as the voice of Merlyn

Written by Greg Weisman
Directed by Joaquim dos Santos
Produced by Bruce Timm

sbapoc_header4.jpg

Features listed are from the Blu Ray Special Edition; the 2-disc DVD version is missing some bonus features, and the single disc DVD is completely stripped down.

* Feature film (est. 75 min)
* DC Showcase: Green Arrow (10 min)
* Sneak Peak at the Next DC Universe Animated Original Movie (10 min)
* Featurette: Supergirl: The Last Daughter of Krypton - A comprehensive look at The Maiden of Might from her introduction in the classic age of comics to her death in the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover event to her appearance on Smallville and beyond.
* 4 bonus episodes from animated television series handpicked by Bruce Timm
* All-New Featurette: The New Gods - This documentary covers Darkseid’s story, particularly in reference to the adaptation of Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. A primer on the wealth of material and stories contained in the New Gods series, along with a deeper understanding of why these characters – and especially Darkseid – are so memorable and important to the DC pantheon.
* All-New Featurette Pods
* Orion - The mightiest warrior on either New Genesis or Apokolips, Orion follows an almost Shakespearean arc culminating in the slaying of his father, Darkseid. This mini-featurette shines a light on this classically tragic character.
* Mister Miracle - This mini-featurette focuses on the greatest escape artist the universe has ever known and how he was traded in a peace effort to be raised by Darkseid, the enemy of all New Genesis.
* Digital copy on disc of the feature film
The four bonus DCAU episodes featured will be "Little Girl Lost, parts 1 & 2" and "Apokalips Now!, parts 1 & 2", all from Superman: The Animated Series.

sbapoc_header5.jpg

*COMING SOON*

sbapoc_header6.jpg

sbapoc_header7.jpg

*REVIEWS COMING SOON*

07.20.2010 - DC Comics Solicitations for October 2010, featuring 'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' Supergirl Maquette
07.06.2010 - Breakdown Of Multiple "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" Home Video Releases
07.01.2010 - Trade Ad For Upcoming "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" Animated Feature Title
06.29.2010 - Warner Home Video Releases Official Details On "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse"
06.25.2010 - MPAA Officially Passes PG-13 Rating To "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" Feature
05.27.2010 - "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" Next DC Universe Animated Original Movie Release

sbapoc_header8.jpg

*COMING SOON*

Sponsored by NeoGAF's "Comic Book Day" and "DC/Marvel at the Animated Movies" threads!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't even know if Wonder Woman will be in it at all, or maybe they're just going to keep her presence unknown since her movie was considered a sales disappointment by Warner Bros marketing.

Dan said:
I don't even know if Wonder Woman will be in it at all, or maybe they're just going to keep her presence unknown since her movie was considered a sales disappointment by Warner Bros marketing.
One of the screens featured in the trade ad reveals that both she and Barda made it into the film.

sbapoc_heroes.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EDIT #2. I got Greenwood and Conroy confused in my head, Time for bed. lol

At the very least I know he sounds better than William Baldwin as Batman. I HATED Batman in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. Not only was his voice really weird, but he acted out of character at times.

EDIT: And the Wonder Woman movie was awesome. Very disappointed that it sold poorly. The ending was perfect setup for a sequel, Wonder Woman 2 is when the real fun would start! I remember telling my girl I wished that WW went on like a half an hour more after that scene. :lol

DC is knocking it out of the park with their animated movies, if you ask me. Even the less than stellar ones have fun moments. Speaking of I still need to finish watching Green Lantern: First Flight...

Oh, and Flash DEMANDS a movie. As weird as I thought Crisis on Two Earth was, Flash in there was perfect. Totally sold the show. Well...him and ultra kinky Superwoman.

ReiGun

Dan said:
It was? Damn it all. It's the best one! Buy it people. :(

Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy? The band's getting back together. :D

Grizzlyjin said:
Kevin Conroy as Batman again? Hmm, I guess he really is the new voice of Bats. I'll have to wait until Under the Red Hood to make up my mind on him, I like what I've heard so far.
Kevin is the voice from Batman: TAS. Bruce Greenwood voices Bats in Under the Red Hood.

Penguin

Grizzlyjin said:
Kevin Conroy as Batman again? Hmm, I guess he really is the new voice of Bats. I'll have to wait until Under the Red Hood to make up my mind on him, I like what I've heard so far.

A

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. :lol

I hate the internet.

I kind of miss the McGuinness inspired art, but still looking forward to this, and only 2 months away!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ReiGun said:
It was? Damn it all. It's the best one! Buy it people. :(

Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy? The band's getting back together. :D

Kevin is the voice from Batman: TAS. Bruce Greenwood voices Bats in Under the Red Hood.

Haha yeah I knew that. For some reason I was reading Conroy, and thinking of Greenwood. I've been up since 5am yesterday, I need to call it a night. :lol

I'm actually glad Tim Daly is back as Supes. None of the other voices for him have really lived up to his work, for me.

Togeo

I really hope the new Superman movie takes a page from these animated movies. Superman always comes off as awesome in these.

ReiGun

:lol Yeah man, get some sleep. :p

Totally agree on Daly. As big a deal as some people make about Batman's different VA's, I find I'm always more bothered by any change in Superman's voice. Tim just owns that character for me.

Penguin

I don't know, I enjoyed Newburn or whoever the voice actor was in Justice League.

Its sometimes a toss-up between the two, but he was given good material and delivered it well.

MisterHero

Dan said:
It's probably just me but I thought the Wonder Woman parts of this story were kind of silly. Superman (and Batman, I suppose) are just introducing Kara to human life and Wonder Woman shows up and threatens to beat them up unless Kara is taken into her care.

I didn't read it more than a couple times years ago but that always stuck out to me. :lol

I know it's the World's Finest (and more recently, Trinity?) but I always felt the storyline could've been more personal for Superman and (in Wonder Woman's case) less melodramatic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Are we eventually going to get to a Final Crisis mini-series? Because I would kill for one.

Some clarification: DC Animation's disappointment with 'Wonder Woman' wasn't that it sold poorly, just that it wasn't a "fast seller" that moved a lot of copies within the first months of release. It ended up doing better than 'New Frontier' and roughly the same as 'Green Lantern: First Flight' (also considered a disappointment). They want these things to sell well immediately, not necessarily over a long period of time.

I'm really hoping they adapt Matt Wagner's "Trinity" for animation, that would be interesting I think. Plus, there are only two more Loeb Super/Bat stories, and neither one of those would adapt very well for a broad audience.

jdogmoney

Grizzlyjin said:
At the very least I know he sounds better than William Baldwin as Batman. I HATED Batman in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. Not only was his voice really weird, but he acted out of character at times.

I thought so to, until I tricked myself into thinking that he was Dick Grayson Batman. Then it all made a little more sense.

Fucking EPIC.

But I hoped to see Kara in her S-Shield togs and not just as Darkseid Girl.

DC Animation is totally slaying lately. :D

somedevil

Spike Spiegel said:
Some clarification: DC Animation's disappointment with 'Wonder Woman' wasn't that it sold poorly, just that it wasn't a "fast seller" that moved a lot of copies within the first months of release. It ended up doing better than 'New Frontier' and roughly the same as 'Green Lantern: First Flight' (also considered a disappointment). They want these things to sell well immediately, not necessarily over a long period of time.

By then looking at sales of the movies though I'm not sure they are correct then people love superman and batman movies. So I expect more of that and maybe they will throw in a rarity that might not sell to the masses but to us like maybe the next green lantern one that was canceled.

Penguin

somedevil said:
By then looking at sales of the movies though I'm not sure they are correct then people love superman and batman movies. So I expect more of that and maybe they will throw in a rarity that might not sell to the masses but to us like maybe the next green lantern one that was canceled.

The schedule for next year is Batman Year One, Green Lantern Emerald Warriors and.... I know this...

Grizzlyjin

Penguin said:
The schedule for next year is Batman Year One, Green Lantern Emerald Warriors and.... I know this...

Is it blasphemous that I'm not really that excited for Year One? I'm sure my hype will grow once I see a trailer, just at this point I don't really care. Begins did a good job of adapting it in live action form, I can't really say I'm pumped to see an animated version. Although if DC is really ballsy enough to keep a strong focus on Gordon like in the comic, well that could turn me around.

I think I might be burnt out on origin stories in general. Wonder Woman was refreshing because we don't get to see her very much. Batman and Superman's origins have been run into the ground. They're so ingrained into popular culture that it almost seems like you're better off glossing over it, kinda like what Morrison did with All Star Superman.

It looks like pretty much the main cast from that movie are doing this too.
I hope this is better than Public Enemies, which really didn't work for me. The story just seemed a little off with regards to the internal continuity of the movie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spike Spiegel said:
One of the screens featured in the trade ad reveals that both she and Barda made it into the film.

sbapoc_heroes.jpg
Oh, cool.

Grizzlyjin said:
Is it blasphemous that I'm not really that excited for Year One? I'm sure my hype will grow once I see a trailer, just at this point I don't really care. Begins did a good job of adapting it in live action form, I can't really say I'm pumped to see an animated version. Although if DC is really ballsy enough to keep a strong focus on Gordon like in the comic, well that could turn me around.

I think I might be burnt out on origin stories in general. Wonder Woman was refreshing because we don't get to see her very much. Batman and Superman's origins have been run into the ground. They're so ingrained into popular culture that it almost seems like you're better off glossing over it, kinda like what Morrison did with All Star Superman.
I had basically the same reaction to the Batman: Year One reveal. I feel like we've already seen most of those elements done pretty well.

Penguin said:
Emerald Warriors is the new comics title, the DVD/Blu-ray is Emerald Knights. To my knowledge there's no word on the third one, though I think one writer (McDuffie?) hinted that a Superman movie might arrive next year.

Apparently the 4th short film will be Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam and it'll be a/the centerpiece of a DVD/Blu-ray collecting all the shorts, which seems really lame to me.

Holy crap, this looks epic, I really liked Public Enemies, so I'm definitely hyped for this.

Hopefully they make Superman just as awesome as he was in P.E.

Snaku

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:

veruca_salt.jpg

Penguin

evil solrac v3.0 said:
are they going to do crisis on infinite earths?

I honestly think Crisis on Two Earths is the closest we're gonna get to any multi-Earth action on these things.

Some stories I think are just too dense for a single movie. Now if they had a show to tie in with would be easier me thinks.

I never finished reading this Superman Batman arc (sorry, I just got tired of the late shipping and sub-par story), so I don't know how it finished. My dislike of the Public Enemies arc kept me from watching that as well, as most of the time the animated version isn't as good as the comic (see New Frontier).

So was it better than the comic?

SG.jpg

SUPERMAN/BATMAN: APOCALYPSE DVD SUPERGIRL MAQUETTE
SCULPTED BY PHIL RAMIREZ
A mysterious space ship from Planet Krypton crashes on Earth with a beautiful girl inside and everyone wants to meet the new kid. Superman embraces the connection to his past, Batman suspects a traitor, Wonder Woman senses a kindred spirit and Darkseid desires a champion. But this feisty teen has her own ideas, none of which include a secret identity, a cape or heroics. It will take a life or death battle with Darkseid to uncover her true purpose on Earth. A dynamic voice cast – Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Andre Braugher and Summer Glau – highlights this DC Universe Animated Original Movie introducing the world to Supergirl.

This hand-painted, cold-cast in porcelain maquette of Supergirl is based on art from the highly anticipated Warner Home Video made-for-DVD animated original movie, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse!

Measuring approximately 11.25” high x 6” wide x 5” deep this statue includes a 4-color Certificate of Authenticity and is packaged in a 4-color box.

Limited Edition.
*Quantities may be allocated.

On sale September 29, 2010* Statue * $99.99 US
Source

She does look vaguely "Turner" -esque, to my eyes. Especially in the face; I think they captured that aspect of his artwork pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom