• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermodel (Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator) Now features Sound!

Trojan X

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Looks great! Never got to play it, but remember it from the arcades.

Edi: Youtube HD link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKsIR0kZnHw&hd=1

Best sound setting for Scud Race is actually Sound=110, Music=175. It so balance, thumping and incredible!

SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT FOR WIDESCREEN AND NETWORK SUPPORT! Also, the emu is still not optimised as it doesn't use all the power of the CPU and it uses little to NO gpu. I can only imagine v1.0 so you can have 2.4 CPUs pumping this game at 60fps.

Trojan X said:
Best sound setting for Scud Race is actually Sound=110, Music=175. It so balance, thumping and incredible!

SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT FOR WIDESCREEN AND NETWORK SUPPORT! Also, the emu is still not optimised as it doesn't use all the power of the CPU and it uses little to NO gpu. I can only imagine v1.0.
I can't believe this game came out in 1996, same for Virtua Fighter 3. Sega were 3D graphics GODS back then.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trojan X said:

SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT FOR WIDESCREEN AND NETWORK SUPPORT! Also, the emu is still not optimised as it doesn't use all the power of the CPU and it uses little to NO gpu. I can only imagine v1.0 so you can have 2.4 CPUs pumping this game at 60fps.
So if my GPU isn't a bottleneck, what do I need to do to get this thing to run at a decent framerate? See my previous post for computer specs.

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
So if my GPU isn't a bottleneck, what do I need to do to get this thing to run at a decent framerate? See my previous post for computer specs.

You need 3ghz to be happy to be honest. My cpu is 3.3ghz i7 and it runs fine. I didn't touch any of the default setting baring sound volume for various games where needed. So, for you to run this ok on your 2ghz machine, I advise you to play with the PowerPC settings as that's where the issues lies. Changing resolution for this emu won't make a difference at this moment. So weird but that's programming for you.

Kuran said:
A Mac OSX build has been posted on the website, no GUI yet. Although just use './supermodel -game.zip' to launch it once in the directory.

Constant 60fps with Scud Race on my Macbook Pro, pretty nice!

Oooh.. I will have to investigate this.

That Daytona shot in the OP is glorious. The colors! I can see a grey sky any time I look out the window, in my games I want that sky freaking BLUE.

Trojan X

Banned
I'm CRAVING for VF3 to run perfectly, especially when all my friends are waiting for our next VF3 tournament. Here are a couple of clips of me playing VF3 against my friends on the Dreamcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pReHBSj_o - Lau vs Pai (I was using Lau)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ods4WukjFgQ - Kage vs Lion (I was using Kage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVwsdM10Wb4 - Akira vs Wolf (I was using Akira)

Also, when everything is working perfectly, we'll have a SCUD RACE and DAYTONA 2 tournament. We already had a Daytona Model 2 tournament in which I had 6 Daytona (3 on PC, 3 on Laptops) all running on multiplayer via my network. If memory serves me correctly, DAYTONA 2 can run 16 players link-up and with 1 RELAY cabinet so tournments on that game would be GODLY!!!!

My friend and I has been playing arcade gaming for a very long time so if anyone need full feedback of what is working right and what's not then let me know.

Seems useless unless you have the full race cabinet from the arcade. The games themselves were decent, but the cabinet made the experience.

Trojan X

Banned
Horsemama1956 said:
Seems useless unless you have the full race cabinet from the arcade. The games themselves were decent, but the cabinet made the experience.

I completely disagree with you. To be frank, games like SCUD RACE is STILL more enjoyable than the games that are released today! .

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Awesome loader!

Loader.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?dw975wu3fauvw2w

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Horsemama1956 said:

Wrong. The cabinets, Scud Race's deluxe cab in particular, left a lot to be desired. I would much rather play these games on my current setup than on any cab. And like Trojan X said, the games THEMSELVES are the true stars of the show! They haven't aged a BIT!!!!

DaCocoBrova said:

Use a bat file, it's much quiker ;)

Trojan Im when Bart eventually puts in network support we're gonna all have one BIG ASS Model 3 party/tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Nikdd said:
Isamu try that solution and see if it works for you....

OMFG NIK YOU ARE THE FUCKING MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE IT WORKED! YOU ARE A GENIUS AND MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The brake pedal is now recognized properly as a slider, and all I had to do was calibrate and map it accordingly! AWESOME!!!!!

NO MORE SLOWDOWNS in Scud Race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put that command DirectInputFeedbackThrottle = 1 and you're right it went away!!!! The game doesn't slowdown during the advance and expert courses anymore, WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is still just the *tiniest* amount of frame drops when exiting the Aztec cave with the sharp turn in the advance course, and a slight dip in a few other places on the track, but I'm thinking it's probably just the emu not being optimized as well as it could be, and has nothing to do with the FFB. Can't wait til Bart gets his hands even dirtier and optimizes this emu even further lol!

As far as that command reducing the quality of the FFB, I can't say I've noticed a reduction in FFB "quality" with this command. Feels about the same to me. I'll play around with different throttle numbers and see how they make it feel.

But with that having been said, I must say in all honesty(and this by no means has anything to do with you or the great work you've done on the ffb code) Scud Race's FFB overall leaves a lot to be desired. I am now remembering my days when I used to play the real machine in the arcade and remember feeling the same way. I really wish they would have coded some sort of vibration effect upon colliding with other vehicles. That to me is one of the main ingredients to giving ffb that immerse driving experience. Wall and fence collisions are somewhat weak as well, but perhaps I can tweak the ini file to make those a bit stronger. My settings right now are

DirectInputConstForceMax = 150
DirectInputSelfCenterMax = 200
DirectInputVibrateMax = 175
DirectInputFrictionMax = 100

....feels OK with these settings. I'll play around with them some more but for some reason even with DirectInputSelfCenterMax set to 200, the centering spring force is not that strong. Is this parameter supposed to make the wheel return to center after turning it left or right? I'll play around with this some more. Vibrations are nice and strong. Friction max = not sure what effect that's supposed to deliver.

Anyway getting back to my point, Daytona 2's FFB is indeed head and shoulders above Scud Race's, and I'm guessing Sega Rally 2's is as well. I mentioned this in the forum but the analog steering in Scud Race is also not that impressive and if I'm honest, downright strange. When you steer left or right, the car *ALMOST* feels as if it's being controlled by digital key presses and doesn't seem to have a good analog steering "range" before it snaps and loses its back end for a spin. Don't get me wrong, I *AM* getting analog steering control out of the game, and I've set my wheel saturation in the ini file to about 40, giving it an *EXACT* 1:1 steering ratio as the real arcade machine(which is around 270 degrees). I've tested this in the Test Menu's input test section as well and it's accurate. It's just that for some reason Sega gave Scud Race this weird ice skating overly sensitive feeling to it.

I think because this was Sega's very first Model 3 racer, the designers focused a bit too much on the graphics and not enough on the car control. I can *somewhat* manage slides, but often times I have to fight the car to get it back on the straight due to the overly sensitive feeling. The word "slippery" definitely comes to mind.

OK, now onto this magnificent solution you've magically pulled out of your hat....I have to say I'm extremely impressed!! Not only have you resolved the brake pedal issue, but you've taken the output.log file and only after ONE day, managed to decipher the FFB problem like a FUCKING BOSS!!!!!!!!!! Simply incredible Nik.

But here's what I don't understand mate.... why would this problem be exclusive to Scud Race? What do you suspect Scud Race's FFB does that causes this, while Daytona 2 doesn't? Also, I do not experience this problem in ANY of Sega's Model 2 games via El Semi's emulator. Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Indy 500, Sega Touring Car, etc etc. And like I said yesterday, Sega Rally 2 didn't appear to exhibit this behavior either. Nor do I get it from any of my normal PC driving games. The *only* other game that does this.....and yes, I DID fail to mention this to you earlier so I apologize, is F-Zero GX for the Game Cube, via the Dolphin Emulator. I can play the game with my wheel with *certain* FFB parameter effects, but if I have one of them turned on(forgot which one atm), I experience the SAME slowdown I do(I mean did) in Scud Race! When using any other vibration controller in F-ZeroGX I don't get the slowdown at all. Only with my wheel. So I'm guessing there is a good chance this is most definitely related to that throttle issue. Hmm, I wonder if I can put that throttle command line into the Xinput ini file for the Dolphin emu and see if it resolves the lag in F-ZeroGX?

Speaking of F-ZeroGX and my wheel, this guy I know named "Racer_S" from the Toca Edit forums, came up with a few cool custom DirectInput.dll files, you can check out the thread here.

http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?showtopic=768

This guy is a genius. He made some custom DirectInput files for me, one of which delivers a centering spring effect to my wheel in ANY game, even if it doesn't have FFB! He also made a dll file that allows any game with Xinput FFB support to deliver FFB to my wheel, AND allows me to tweak the effect parameters via an ini file. It's crazy!

Anyway I'm just rambling now, but you've made my day with this solution!!! Thanks so much Nik you ROCK MATE!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!

isamu

I find it interesting how there are so many people complaining about they want Daytona 2 and Scud to come to XBLA and PSN, yet they act like they're completely oblivious to this SuperModel emulator.

*shaking my head*

Bah!!!.....Gfx are broken for me on these latest builds, missing polygons all over the place on Scud Race.

Probably an ATI driver issue...as usual.

Bleep

I find it interesting how there are so many people complaining about they want Daytona 2 and Scud to come to XBLA and PSN, yet they act like they're completely oblivious to this SuperModel emulator.

*shaking my head*

It's much easier to buy and play a game from a download service than it is to purchase and rip arcade game boards.

isamu

It's much easier to buy and play a game from a download service than it is to purchase and rip arcade game boards.

Easier to purchase and rip arcade game boards than to sit around waiting for Sega to make a decision to bring these games home....something I am willing to bet they will never do.

-KRS-

Linux port?

Oh I see there is one. Time to break out dat GCC.

Also, why is this a stand-alone project and not part of MAME like every other arcade machine emulator seems to be?

isamu

Linux port?

Oh I see there is one. Time to break out dat GCC.

Also, why is this a stand-alone project and not part of MAME like every other arcade machine emulator seems to be?

Because mame is an emu that has a completely different focus which is to preserve old arcade games for documentation purposes. Thus it doesn't support certain things like hardware acceleration, force feedback and things like that. SuperModel on the other hand, is an emu designed strictly for entertainment purposes and therefore has a lot of bells and whistles like hardware graphics acceleration support, force feedback support, and is optimized to run a specific piece of hardware(Sega's Model 3 arcade board).

They're different projects that focuses on different things.

Plus, MAME already supports Model 2 and 3 games but they run like shit, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I still love MAME to bits because it's the only emu that supports a vast variety of old 2D games.

But for Sega Model 3 goodness, SuperModel is it! Bart is doing a superb job with it and unlike El Semi, he actually communicates with us on a daily basis and welcomes our input to help make the emu better.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

*shaking my head*
Last time I tried out Supermodel it ran like complete shit. And I have a fairly recent i7 machine.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Can anyone help me out?

I've got this running perfectly on my PC except for two issues.

I'm not getting any keyboard commands being recognized and every time I try to save the rom file path in options along with SNAPS and ICONS I keep getting a run time error 76.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Remember, you can't legally download these roms unless you have the original arcade cabinet. This is Neogaf. I will tell the fucking police.

I have the original arcade cabinet of Virtua Fighter 3, although I stripped out the game to connect JAMMA titles. So, yeah.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I wonder is Beach Spikers playable on this one?

Afterall the GC version doesnt run on Dolphin. :(

EDIT: NOPE

Top Bottom