• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court Nominee - Neil M. Gorsuch |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiterra

Banned
The GOP did something horribly wrong when they refused to vote on Garland. I'll never support doing the same thing out of spite.

This country needs its offices filled. That is more important than party politics. And I say this as someone who spent years working in national party politics.

That sounds pretty idealistic to me.

pigeon

Banned
The GOP did something horribly wrong when they refused to vote on Garland. I'll never support doing the same thing out of spite.

This country needs its offices filled. That is more important than party politics. And I say this as someone who spent years working in national party politics.

And look how well your approach did!

It's not spite to refuse to confirm Gorsuch. It's just a recognition that the norms of governing have changed. Last year the GOP made clear that the new standard is that a president without 60 Senators cannot appoint Supreme Court Justices. Lindsay Graham said yesterday that he believes Democrats would have done the same thing, so it's clear they'll expect this behavior regardless of what Dems actually do, and no reason to expect that caving in will somehow lure Republicans back to the path of good behavior.

There is no benefit to playing Weekend at Bernie's with Senate comity. Wake up to the world we live in. The GOP is a fifth column for foreign agitators and white supremacists. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, and the American people deserve to be represented fearlessly instead of fecklessly.

Gorsuch on the court will only mean the continued erosion we've faced to our rights as the court remains friendly to big business and against consumers and workers. He poses a threat to same sex marriage and a women's right to choose. His position is stolen, a seat that should be filled by Merrick Garland.

What exactly does helping put him onto the court accomplish, other than the moral hazard of letting the GOP steal a seat with no negative consequences?

That's ludicrous. The seat was stolen as was the election and now a criminal who's colluding with a foreign power to undermine our democracy wants to fill it. Nope. The country was able to function without a full court for the last year. We can wait until T****p is gone to fill offices.

Matt

And look how well your approach did!

It's not spite to refuse to confirm Gorsuch. It's just a recognition that the norms of governing have changed. Last year the GOP made clear that the new standard is that a president without 60 Senators cannot appoint Supreme Court Justices. Lindsay Graham said yesterday that he believes Democrats would have done the same thing, so it's clear they'll expect this behavior regardless of what Dems actually do, and no reason to expect that caving in will somehow lure Republicans back to the path of good behavior.

There is no benefit to playing Weekend at Bernie's with Senate comity. Wake up to the world we live in. The GOP is a fifth column for foreign agitators and white supremacists. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, and the American people deserve to be represented fearlessly instead of fecklessly.
But...we need Supreme Court justices. That is the important element your argument is missing. The governments needs to function.

Voting against someone simply because they were nominated by Trump is simply not good enough a reason.

pigeon

Banned
But...we need Supreme Court justices.

wapo said:
LOVELAND, Colo. — Speaking to reporters after a campaign rally for a Republican U.S. Senate candidate here, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said that there was “precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices — appearing to suggest that the blockade on nominee Merrick Garland could last past the election.

“You know, I think there will be plenty of time for debate on that issue,” said Cruz, when he was asked whether a Republican-controlled Senate should hold votes on a President Hillary Clinton’s nominees. “There is certainly long historical precedent for a Supreme Court with fewer justices. I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”

Eh.

Dems better not fucking budge. Republicans need to understand that this will not be tolerated. You think they won't pull this shot again even if Gorsich gets through? Get fucking real

Matt

That's ludicrous. The seat was stolen as was the election and now a criminal who's colluding with a foreign power to undermine our democracy wants to fill it. Nope. The country was able to function without a full court for the last year. We can wait until T****p is gone to fill offices.
No, we can't. That's ridiculously naive.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
But...we need Supreme Court justices. That is the important element your argument is missing. The governments needs to function.

Voting against someone simply because they were nominated by Trump is simply not good enough a reason.

We somehow managed for an entire year while the Republicans blocked Garland, I think we'll be okay for a little while longer.

Kaiterra

Banned
Blocking Gorusch will not actually prevent him from taking his seat. The GOP WILL use the nuclear option. They must be forced to do so.

Gluka

Are we suddenly forgetting that the GOP was fully prepared to block ANY justices had HRC won? Norms aren't norms if only one side feels like that they're obligated to follow them.

pigeon

Banned
Why would I care what Ted Cruz had to say?

As I understand it, he's still a card-carrying member of the Republican Party.

If the GOP doesn't believe we ever need a ninth justice then I think we should just go ahead and give that a shot. If there's a problem with ties, maybe Justice Thomas can retire.

Dems better not fucking budge. Republicans need to understand that this will not be tolerated. You think they won't pull this shot again even if Gorsich gets through? Get fucking real

If they dont, the filibuster gets nuked, Trump gets his pick, and you best pray to whatever god you belive in that Ginsburg doesn't faceplant into her soup because then the court will really be leaned to the right and there won't be a damn thing the democrats can do about it for probably another what, 20 years at best?

Pick your fights, this one isn't worth wasting what little political capital they have on. They can't win, and they run the risk of losing even more down the line.

Matt

As I understand it, he's still a card-carrying member of the Republican Party.

If the GOP doesn't believe we ever need a ninth justice then I think we should just go ahead and give that a shot. If there's a problem with ties, maybe Justice Thomas can retire.
I don't care what the GOP thinks. I care about the proper function of the nation.

pigeon

Banned
No, we can't. I was in DC. This country suffered from the lack of positions filled under Obama because of Republican obstruction.

That obstruction happened because the GOP had given up any pretense of being a legitimate goverrning party.

Now they're in charge. Why do you want to give them the Sudetenland, exactly?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't care what the GOP thinks. I care about the proper function of the nation.

Then you'd probably not want the GOP to exist altogether, because they've done everything they can to disrupt the operation of the country and the well-being of its citizens.

Branduil

If they dont, the filibuster gets nuked, Trump gets his pick, and you best pray to whatever god you belive in that Ginsburg doesn't faceplant into her soup because then the court will really be leaned to the right and there won't be a damn thing the democrats can do about it for probably another what, 20 years at best?

Pick your fights, this one isn't worth wasting what little political capital they have on. They can't win, and they run the risk of losing even more down the line.
What's the point of the filibuster still existing if you don't use it?

America is fighting a civil war for its soul, and you want one side to unilaterally disarm.

Matt

That obstruction happened because the GOP had given up any pretense of being a legitimate goverrning party.

Now they're in charge. Why do you want to give them the Sudetenland, exactly?
Well, that's a ridiculous thing to say, and really not worth responding to.

Are we suddenly forgetting that the GOP was fully prepared to block ANY justices had HRC won? Norms aren't norms if only one side feels like that they're obligated to follow them.
True. In any case, the Republicans actions will have long term repercussions on the political climate. Nuclear options work both ways.

pigeon

Banned
Then hopefully all but one die and we could make this whole government thing real easy. Ugh.

Hey, man, I understand that you spent a decade going along to get along, but the Republicans have made it clear that they view me as an illegitimate outsider in the country I was born in. I'm not going to cosign your desire to work together with them to persecute minorities more efficiently than they currently do. Things have changed.

Your frustration should be with the people who put these norms of non-governance into place (the Republicans) and with the people who allowed them to become normalized (Obama and Reid), not with those of us who can see straight.

Aurongel

Great! That will make ties less likely.
Making numbers adjustments to the supreme court is straight up bad for democracy. Idealistic or not, a lot of these offices need to be filled and the transition needs to be relatively peaceful even if it's done begrudgingly.

pigeon

Banned
Making numbers adjustments to the supreme court is straight up bad for democracy. Idealistic or not, a lot of these offices need to be filled and the transition needs to be relatively peaceful even if it's done begrudgingly.

That's another excellent argument for confirming Merrick Garland immediately.

Gorsuch can have the next seat.

Until Garland is seated, nobody should be seated.

Matt

Hey, man, I understand that you spent a decade going along to get along, but the Republicans have made it clear that they view me as an illegitimate outsider in the country I was born in. I'm not going to cosign your desire to work together with them to persecute minorities more efficiently than they currently do. Things have changed.

Your frustration should be with the people who put these norms of non-governance into place (the Republicans) and with the people who allowed them to become normalized (Obama and Reid), not with those of us who can see straight.
And if a nominee express a desire to persecute minorities, that's a good reason to stand against him.

But "because he's nominated" isn't enough. Not even the Republicans were that bad for most of Obama's administration.

In this case, not at all. This is an illegitimate presidency under federal investigation for collusion with perhaps our greatest enemy. Filling vacancies needs to grind to a halt until it's sorted out.

pigeon

Banned
And if a nominee express a desire to persecute minorities, that's a good reason to stand against him.

But "because he's nominated" isn't enough. Not even the Republicans were that bad for most of Obama's administration.

The fact that you have to qualify that sentence with "for most of Obama's administration" really tells the tale here.

Matt

In this case, not at all. This is an illegitimate presidency under federal investigation for collusion with perhaps our greatest enemy. Filling vacancies needs to grind to a halt until it's sorted out.
Unfortunately, until that collusion is proven, this Presidency is not illegitimate.

Kevinroc

Republicans broke the normal proceedings of Supreme Court nominations with Garland. It doesn't matter how they were with Obama's earlier nominees.

Matt

The fact that you have to qualify that sentence with "for most of Obama's administration" really tells the tale here.
Not really. The way the GOP acted was awful, but we still got 2 SC justices, cabinet heads, lower court judges (not enough), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom