• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surround Sound for 360

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am not sure you can. Considering there is only an optical out for the 360, there is no other way to get the signal. As far as I know, there is no adaptor that will convert the light from an optical cable to a signal that can be read by a different cable.

Mifune

Mehmber
How does it have Dolby Digital if it doesn't have an optical hookup? Coax?

That really does suck. I could have easily made the same mistake when I bought one of those in-the-box dealies, but luckily it had an optical in. Hadn't even heard of the coax option until I bought it.

Somnia

Ya it has a coax slot. I figured when it said dolby digital it would have it ,but no such luck. Maybe I'll keep my old system and sell this one.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, I recommend you sell it. You NEED 5.1 with the 360. Even more than HD, in my opinion.

Or get a converter, which I didn't know existed.

Somnia

So with that I just take my audio cable from the dvd player to that, then my optical from it to the 360? Man that will solve all my problems

Somnia

Okay so parts express's is only 17.90 and then on smarthome it is 79.99 thats a big price difference. Is one or the other more trust worthy?

3rdman

The one from Smarthome is an Audio Authority device...very nice but expensive. Like anything else in electronics, you get what you pay for. But the other one will definetly get the job done... I'm also sure you could find other solutions beyond what was posted here.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would return the receiver and get one with optical inputs. My experience is those converters are pretty shitty and expensive for the most part. You can get a better Yamaha receiver with speakers and DVD player for LESS than what you paid at Dell.

Top Bottom