• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish authorities told to prepare 'in terms of war' amid Russia tensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
tumblr_inline_nfw0jkh13t1rn9eqb.gif

Truly a .gif for every situation.

My fiance is from sweeden and this scares the shit out of me. Every bit of this scares the shit out of me because I have no idea what this is leading to.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Invading Sweden means infringing on a sovereign European nation which means creating a Baltic corridor which means ipso facto, NATO is involved.

If they push into Sweden they will kick off European aggression in return which means NATO is involved. They are, effectively, a de facto NATO state.

Because that worked out real well for Georgia and Ukraine.

M52B28

Banned
My fiance is from sweeden and this scares the shit out of me. Every bit of this scares the shit out of me because I have no idea what this is leading to.
Yeah, I've been going out with a Swede and we have had multiple discussions on this.

She's genuinely scared.

I don't think there will be anything that will amount to war or invasion, but it is destressing for her to talk about it.

Fuck Putin.

Wait... What's the source for that initial article? Because I'd think it would be somewhere in local news if Löfven was actually telling us to prepare for war.

Edit: okay, found the SvD link. It's still nothing, it has been known for a long time. Basically them going "okay, maybe removing ALL of our defense capabilities was a bad move".

Wait... What's the source for that initial article? Because I'd think it would be somewhere in local news if Löfven was actually telling us to prepare for war.

It's not really a link but my fiance has been talking about this for the past cupple months. Basically talking about how Russia has been making some pretty threating actions. She believes it was because Sweden wants to join Nato, but Russia doesn't want that. I don't know specifics and I'm only quoting but fuck I am worried. 2016 was the year of awful shit happening, 2017 is the year we have to deal with those things.

So isn't this now USA, France, Germany and Sweden all reporting Russian influence in their elections? I feel it would be wise for North American and Western European leaders to convene immediately. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia heavily influenced the Brexit decision. Especially with Trump who will sit back and let Russia slowly encroach on Western Europe.

So isn't this now USA, France, Germany and Sweden all reporting Russian influence in their elections? I feel it would be wise for North American and Western European leaders to convene immediately. Especially with Trump who will sit back and let Russia slowly encroach on Western Europe.

We haven't had an election in a while. Aside from the good old rise of the racist party, there's nothing new.

fanboi

Banned
So isn't this now USA, France, Germany and Sweden all reporting Russian influence in their elections? I feel it would be wise for North American and Western European leaders to convene immediately. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia heavily influenced the Brexit decision. Especially with Trump who will sit back and let Russia slowly encroach on Western Europe.

Of course they did regarding brexit, the biggest sponsor to organisations for a brexit was Russia.

Flai

"Swedish authorities are telling people to prepare for war!"
"As a Swede, that makes me very worried about the possibility of war!"
"That's ridiculous, why would you be worried about war? Don't be ridiculous."

Well, it is pretty ridicoulous. I live in Finland and if war happens, I could be pretty much on the front lines. Yet still I'm not really worried at all, in the end war is pretty unlikely to happen. Sweden? Yeah no way.

CoolOff

The Swedish position is just moving to what should be normal from a preparation level that didn't exist during the 90s and 00s. Then Crimea happened.

For example, we didn't have ANY active military on Gotland, an incredibly important strategic target in the Baltic.

The country’s Civil Contingency Agency (MSB) last week sent a letter to local authorities across the country asking them to maintain operations centres in underground bunkers, ensure that a system of emergency sirens is in place, and to be open to cooperating on war exercises with the Swedish Armed Forces.
Aren't these pretty standard? Maybe not an underground center, but most cities would have an emergency room for authorities to gather. Emergency sirens are tested here in Holland every month in case they are needed for 10 years or so already. And cooperation with the armed forces is also normal.

Seems like Sweden just wants to make sure the basics are in place in case something does go wrong. Which is a good thing.

Dram

I wonder if Trump would lend any aid to Russia, when he's President, if they did decide to invade Sweden?

here's another one for comparison

M4gnGwV.jpg
If true I'd start to think that Putin inspired George R.R. Martin when it comes to political genius dwarfs and wouldn't be surprised if he is constantly overcompensating by publically wrestling bears to death ;-).

That said, Putin seems to actually be 170cm unless he is cheating somehow:

59065.jpeg

Still short, I'm 170cm myself and it is a total pain when the average size for men in your country is 180cm+ .

Sweden has recently deployed RBS-15 missile batteries to Gotland for the first time since the end of the Cold War, so they are taking it seriously.

With Trump in power and the prospect of more right-wing pro-Putin leaders coming to power in Europe, all bets are off.

Sölf

59065.jpeg

Still short, I'm 170cm myself and it is a total pain when the average size for men in your country is 180cm+ .

Well, this picture doesn't show his legs, so he is obviously standing on something.

Greddleok

If true I'd start to think that Putin inspired George R.R. Martin when it comes to political genius dwarfs and wouldn't be surprised if he is constantly overcompensating by publically wrestling bears to death ;-).

59065.jpeg

Nah look, he's around the same height as Merkel. She's short too.

Aren't these pretty standard? Maybe not an underground center, but most cities would have an emergency room for authorities to gather. Emergency sirens are tested here in Holland every month in case they are needed for 10 years or so already. And cooperation with the armed forces is also normal.

Seems like Sweden just wants to make sure the basics are in place in case something does go wrong. Which is a good thing.
Yeah, "prepare for war" is of course media fearmongering. It's just a call for maintnence of plans which has been neglected on a local level for lord knows how long. Pretty much any crisis preparedness plan on municipality level is on paper and dusty as fuck. NPM has shaved off most "what if?" scenarios if they're deemed unlikely.

I just...don't understand what Russia hopes to gain here

Like what is the motivation other than dick waving? Seizing economic hubs to boost Russia's GDP? Does Sweden have oil? What do they want?

As simplistic as it sounds, basically? Standing in the world.

Thing is, within living memory, Russia was once seen as one of the two great powers of the globe. It had the power to literally decide the fate of the world. When the Cold War ended, that was no longer the case, and many Russians did not take this well. So a lot of Russian foreign policy for the last decade or so has been about making them matter again, whether through actively using their veto in the UN to prevent the security council from acting, or by rolling into and occupying parts of others countries while the world merely watches. Putin's supporters love this by the way, and it contributes to his strong grip on the Russian executive.

This is also part of the reason they're suspected to have interfered in the US elections - by making the US look weak and/or unstable, the expectation is that other nations will start looking to Russia instead. It's all about looking powerful.

Oppo

The west is a bunch of fuckbois. The moment Russia decides to invade Sweden is the moment China raises hell in the South China since the USA won't be able to amass the necessary forces on two fronts so large and important. This is the future Repulicans, Electors and Putin want and we're gonna barrel right into it.

first off, please define "fuckboi" for me, i have no idea what that means.

secondly, the US military is preposterously large. like over 10x the size of everyone else put together. i think they could manage two fronts. it would be a nightmare of course. but logistically, yeah they can handle it.

God Dayum said:
Not with my taxes. Let those white European nations use their privilege to defend themselves
ha! this is hilarious. i think your taxes already go there.

as for "privilege" – what the hell? what?

strafer

Guess all those hours of playing the last of us will come in handy

Im scared. Like my life isnt shit enough, i dont wanna have to deal with war.

secondly, the US military is preposterously large. like over 10x the size of everyone else put together. i think they could manage two fronts. it would be a nightmare of course. but logistically, yeah they can handle it.

Hell, that's actually been the policy of the US military for several decades, IIRC - it's expected to be powerful enough to take on the next two most powerful nations on Earth simultaneously. Whether or not it actually can is somewhat untested, mind.

Tacitus_

Russia is not going to invade Sweden anytime soon. That said, Sweden really needs to take a hard look at their defences so it remains that way. Their response time was pathetic when Russia was testing it some time ago.

Andrin

Sweden has no resources, but simply keeping their own state in a "War" mode is going to bolster the economy, and avoid the fact they basically have no real industry. Their another country that's biggest export is oil and oil was getting closer to being on it's way out. This will delay it.

The one thing Reagan actually had right was that, they can't compete at all on the economical field.

That's not entirely true. As far as I know Sweden has some of the largest deposits of high quality uranium in the world. That being said, a hypothetical invasion by Russia would not be because of resources, but rather for political posturing and for the strategic position Sweden has in the Baltic sea. It's still unlikely that there'll be an outright war anytime soon, but Russia has routinely made aggressive overtures against Sweden for some years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom