• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery Interview: Up to 5 Projects in the Works, Deadly Premonition 2 isn’t Just “More”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro may be the busiest man in the industry today. The one-of-a-kind Japanese creator is currently working on low-key mystery RPG The Good Life, the anticipated sequel Deadly Premonition 2, and recently announced he would be collaborating with Suda 51 on a new horror game called Hotel Barcelona. And that’s not all! During our interview, Swery revealed two more endeavors – a “top secret” mobile game and a possible Oculus project. For those who’ve lost count, we’re up to five potential projects.

Despite his very full plate, there was no hint of fatigue when I sat down with Swery at the Reboot Develop Red conference in Banff, Alberta this past week. Perhaps that has something to do with the way Swery runs his studio, White Owls Inc. During Reboot Develop Swery spoke about his attempts to foster a healthier work environment at his studio, and based on his sprightly demeanor, it’s working out well for Swery himself. Scroll on down for more on While Owls’ battle against crunch, how The Good Life is progressing, the return of Deadly Premonition, that secret mobile game, and more…

You recently announced Deadly Premonition 2, which is obviously a big one for Swery fans. What made you decide to finally tackle a sequel?

So, one thing I really wanted to do, was… people who have played the original Deadly Premonition will know there's a twist ending, and the game seems to wrap up in a pretty nice way, where you think, "How could they possibly do a sequel?" I really wanted to surprise the fans, in a way they'll hopefully be cool with, but still give them a big unexpected twist to the ongoing story.

The first Deadly Premonition had a very unique tone, even for a Swery game. How do you replicate that without being too self-conscious about it?

There are certain elements where it has to be "DP-ish," and a lot of fans, they want seconds. They just want more Deadly Premonition. But if we just give them straight up more, they actually wouldn't like it very much. So, I’m trying to work a good balance between the two extremes.

What kind of new mechanics are you bringing to Deadly Premonition 2?

Unfortunately, the producer has told me not to talk about that. The producer controls all the PR for this game, so even though I want to say, I can't.

How far along is the game at this point?

I’m not supposed to tell you anything about how far along it is even. As you saw, the game kind of appeared on the [September] Nintendo Direct without any fanfare. The reason that is, is that there are a lot of other adults working on this game. Compared to them, I’m just an itsy-bitsy ant. That's only the PR -- in terms of game design and direction, it's going to be the way I want it.

During your talk your mentioned a third “top secret” project. Now, to be clear, that’s not the Hotel Barcelona project you announced with Suda 51?

No, it's not. [Hotel Barcelona] is the fourth game I’m working on. [Laughs]. It's crazy.

Wow, okay. Can you tell us anything about the secret project?

It's a new challenge -- for the first time, I’m making a mobile game that people can play any time, anywhere. Of course, it may also be ported to PC, PS4, and other platforms, but I want to make the kind of mobile game where you get so into playing it you forget to eat.

check the link for more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom