• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to have 12gb ram and 2 mics seems so according to new leaks

Specs (credit Serif):

• 12 GB LPDDR5X RAM
• 256 GB UFS 3.1 internal storage
• 1536 CUDA Cores, 48 tensor cores, 12 RT cores
• Ampere architecture with features backported from Ada
• 8x ARM A78C
• File decompression engine

This is a nvidia 1660 fabed with Samsung 8nm (reminder that PS5 was 7nm TSMC in 2020) and 120GB/s bandwidth. It will perform on par with PS4, at best.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
This is a nvidia 1660 fabed with Samsung 8nm and 120GB/s bandwidth. It will perform on par with PS4, at best.

I dunno, PS4 sorta has nothing on DLSS in terms of outputting to a HDTV though. It definitely would look nicely upscaling the same game at similar settings.

So then the advantage also comes it can actually run lower resolution upscaled and still look nicer, thus allowing it more headway for higher settings or just better performance.

Last edited:
I dunno, PS4 sorta has nothing on DLSS in terms of outputting to a HDTV though. It definitely would look nicely upscaling the same game at similar settings.

So then the advantage also comes it can actually run lower resolution upscaled and still look nicer, thus allowing it more headway for higher settings or just better performance.
DF showed that DLSS has a rather big cost with those small GPUs. It's similar with FSR, the smaller the GPU / bandwidth, the higher the cost. Performance was quite worse in DF benchmark (<30fps) when using DLSS at higher resolutions. There won't be miracles here, in the end image quality will suffer a lot at 1440p DLSS. Which is not the case in those PS4 games at 1080p as most have still great IQ without reconstruction.

This is a nvidia 1660 fabed with Samsung 8nm (reminder that PS5 was 7nm TSMC in 2020) and 120GB/s bandwidth. It will perform on par with PS4, at best.
LMAO wut

GTX 1660 was based on the older Turing architecture but with the RT cores stripped out and does not support DLSS

Switch 2, if the rumors hold, is based on the Ampere (RTX 3000 series) architecture and presumably has full RT and DLSS support

Because it has an Nvidia GPU which has much superior tech to the AMD GPU in PS5 with much better RT and upscaling, the Switch 2 will be able to punch above its weight compared to PS5.. It might render games natively in 1080p but with DLSS it can upscale them to 4K, I would not be surprised if Switch 2 upscaling 1080p to 4K in DLSS looks better than a lot of PS5 games which aren't rendering native 4K images

Minsc

Gold Member
DF showed that DLSS has a rather big cost with those small GPUs. It's similar with FSR, the smaller the GPU / bandwidth, the higher the cost. Performance was quite worse in DF benchmark (<30fps) when using DLSS at higher resolutions. There won't be miracles here, in the end image quality will suffer a lot at 1440p DLSS. Which is not the case in those PS4 games at 1080p as most have still great IQ without reconstruction.

Sorry, but I won't believe anything saying DLSS is similar to FSR, it's not. At all.

FSR is the worst upscaling technique in history, even Intel did a better job.

Edit: Furthermore the GPU/CPU can be set to draw more power when plugged in to power anyway, which is what we're talking about, not in handheld mode where it wouldn't be necessary to run at 1080p / 4k resolution on a 8" or smaller screen.

Last edited:
What makes you think this, articles from Bloomberg indicated $10 per unit difference.
Even if that number is off, about zero chance that 7" screen in volume cost Nintendo over $50 more than the lcd. They would have never released it.

Nintendo’s also mentioned several times up to including last year during financial results that the more OLEDs they sell in comparison to standard model and Lite, the less money they make per unit. Due to the higher cost of manufacturing the OLED model. They make less money on OLED model than they do on the other two models. They’ve reiterated it over and over again.

They make up for the lower margin with ridiculously crazy software sales. Many of which are still selling for $50-$60 despite many of them being released 4, 5, 6+ years ago.

Last edited:

FireFly

Other than it being based on Ampere and not Turing, I don't think the process has been confirmed yet.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Nintendo’s also mentioned several times up to including last year during financial results that the more OLEDs they sell in comparison to standard model and Lite, the less money they make per unit. Due to the higher cost of manufacturing the OLED model. They make less money on OLED model than they do on the other two models. They’ve reiterated it over and over again.

They make up for the lower margin with ridiculously crazy software sales. Many of which are still selling for $50-$60 despite many of them being released 4, 5, 6+ years ago.

I can accept the idea that maybe they would soak up the cost, but not that a 7" oled panel would cost them more than $50 more than an lcd panel. They are also very careful not to say too much. They claim it has less profit margin per unit, but who's to say they aren't offsetting r&d costs on it? I also don't see them saying it after 2022 from what could find.

Last edited:
I can accept the idea that maybe they would soak up the cost, but not that a 7" oled panel would cost them more than $50 more than an lcd panel. They are also very careful not to say too much. They claim it has less profit margin per unit, but who's to say they aren't offsetting r&d costs on it? I also don't see them saying it after 2022 from what could find.
There’s a lot more in the OLED versus other models beyond the new panel display.

Woopah

There’s a lot more in the OLED versus other models beyond the new panel display.
Here's the Furukawa quote for context (though you're right THE DUCK THE DUCK that I haven't seen them mention it after 2022).

“Nintendo Switch was launched several years ago, and we have continued to work to reduce costs, but the recent component shortages are leading to increased costs. And even though the rise is gradual, it has been impacting our gross profit.

Looking at the full year, we anticipate that impact to be minor this fiscal year, but if costs continue at current levels through next fiscal year as well, then we would expect hardware profitability to decrease correspondingly compared to this fiscal year.

In addition, as has already been mentioned, Nintendo Switch – OLED Model has a lower profit margin than Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite."

tkscz

Care to share how you came to that conclusion? I assume you looked at TF/s only.

You called it a 1660 but the 1660 uses Turing cores and has 128 fewer cores that are a full generation behind on a bigger process. We also don't have clock speeds. If we use Moore's Law is Dead's recent rumor (which his rumors have so far been correct) Nvidia got the docked mode to reach 4TF/s. Based on that, it would be ~1.3GHz while docked. We have no idea how low that will go for handheld mode. At one point there was a rumor that it would be 700MHz in handheld mode, which would be a ~47% drop in clock speeds. But that rumor died some time ago and only thing MLiD would say is "it's significantly lower in handheld".

Mahavastu

DF showed that DLSS has a rather big cost with those small GPUs. It's similar with FSR, the smaller the GPU / bandwidth, the higher the cost.
Don't forget: Digital Foundry used a Windows PC with "Switch 2 like GPU"
Nintendo will use a chip which is especially designed for them with DLSS as an important feature, running an OS optimized for gaming.

We do not know yet how fast DLSS will be on the Switch2, but Nintendo would be unbelievable stupid if they would make DLSS as unusable slow as shown in the DF video, because then why bother at all?

FireFly

Don't forget: Digital Foundry used a Windows PC with "Switch 2 like GPU"
Nintendo will use a chip which is especially designed for them with DLSS as an important feature, running an OS optimized for gaming.

We do not know yet how fast DLSS will be on the Switch2, but Nintendo would be unbelievable stupid if they would make DLSS as unusable slow as shown in the DF video, because then why bother at all?
The leaked T239 specs give it 48 tensor cores, compared with 64 for the RTX 2050 DF tested with. So it should be slower.

However DLSS was perfectly usable in the DF video with a 4X resolution differential. It was only at an 8X differential that things became ridiculous. Going from 720P to 1440P should still be viable.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

So, is Metroid Prime 4 pretty sure to be a Switch 2 showcase game at this point? We've heard so little about it, even since the redo we should be pretty far into a developed game by now

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Microphones huh? Their primary purpose is to communicate over long distances between players.

It's looking like I finally might be interested in a Nintendo console.

Robb

Gold Member
So, is Metroid Prime 4 pretty sure to be a Switch 2 showcase game at this point? We've heard so little about it, even since the redo we should be pretty far into a developed game by now
If it is indeed a cross-gen title I definitely think it’ll be a looker. Metroid Prime Remastered is probably the best looking Switch game I’ve played. They still seem to know their stuff over at RETRO.

I’m just hoping the game doesn’t feel limited/outdated from a design standpoint though, as it will be designed for Switch hardware first and foremost.. I’d personally like a more seamless world than the prior games, not sure how that’d fly alongside the same visuals as the Remaster on current Switch.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Their primary purpose is to communicate over long distances between players.
Not at Nintendo.
WWAW9NI.jpeg

ultrazilla

Gold Member

alright just traded in one of my PS5 DE for $327 credit at gamestop. my card is ready for a pre order. gimme arldy Ninty!

I am very tempted to list my launch PS5 and games and just put it towards the Switch 2. If I do, I'll most likely list it here on NeoGAF.

Top Bottom