• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will be my last chance for gaming

HighPoly

Banned
Well, as you all know I made some kind of controversial threads here...
Well, first! I'm so sorry about that...

So, I think my last chance will be Switch 2, because I've been waiting for a long time, to see a next gen 3D Mario and maybe a diferent art concept for Zelda...
Metroid 4 will be probably a good experience, bringing back all that Samus universe as well...
Maybe a new Donkey Kong 2D or 3D, and Mario Kart 9...

I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me...

I think I'm tired of cinematic games, or ultra realistic games at all...
I don't know if it's happening because I'm getting older and maybe less time to waste playing complex stories, you know?

So, today the games that I've been playing are almost like Fighting games, and some 3D plataform games...
I mean, Fighting games you can play literally forever... More gameplay, less politics, drama, complex stories...

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I feel the same.

Nintendo, in my opinion, is poised to save gaming again, just like it did in the 1980's.
And after this inevitably happens, we will see a new renaissance, where both Sony and Microsoft are entirely gone from the picture, helping to make gaming pure and wholesome again. Sega will rise up from the ashes and Atari's former refulgence will be fully restored for all to see.

I call this, "The Great Gaming Reset".

The Switch 2 can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

Cat Typing GIF

just stay away from gaming a month or so then come back and play one of your all time favorites. i did that and came back to Bloodborne. sometime you just need to chill and focus on other things. don't overthink gaming.

LordOfChaos

I want MKX to have an actual campaign and showcase visuals 😶

Actually MP4 too, since it seems likely at least cross gen at this point

Last edited:

T-Cake

Help me lord but I'm seriously thinking of going Macbook (yes for some gaming*!!) + Switch 2 combo next year.

*needs more research but Crossover + Game Porting Tookit seems viable. I don't know what playing games would be like via Parallels running Windows ARM.

Power Pro

I'm sorta with you, but sometimes Nintendo go too far in the other direction to me, cuz there's not enough story in their games sometimes. I like a good story, but I also am really tired of the way Sony does it with really repetitive gameplay. People used to complain about Metal Gear Solid games cuz of the long cutscenes, but the gameplay was so open ended with how you could mess with it, and approach situations differently that I had fun doing multiple playthroughs. Sony games railroad you soooo hard in one direction, and force you do stuff exactly a certain way. Even an open world game like Spider-man doesn't really feel very open.

King Dazzar

Do we know how powerful the switch 2 will be i.e will it do upscaled 4k 60fps hooked up to a TV? I'd like to revisit Nintendo, as I haven't touched anything of theirs since the N64 and the likes of Turok.... but it needs to be far more capable as something other than a great handheld.

Unknown?

So, I think my last chance will be Switch 2, because I've been waiting for a long time, to see a next gen 3D Mario and maybe a diferent art concept for Zelda...
Metroid 4 will be probably a good experience, bringing back all that Samus universe as well...

I dindn't like PS5 and Xbox, and I bought the both consoles... Was not a good experience to me...

I don't know if it's happening because I'm getting older and maybe less time to waste playing complex stories, you know?

So, today the games that I've been playing are almost like Fighting games, and some 3D plataform games...
I mean, Fighting games you can play literally forever... More gameplay, less politics, drama, complex stories...
But PS5 has way more fighting games but I understand about just old fashioned fun games rather than big cinematic types.

T-Cake

Do we know how powerful the switch 2 will be i.e will it do upscaled 4k 60fps hooked up to a TV? I'd like to revisit Nintendo, as I haven't touched anything of theirs since the N64 and the likes of Turok.... but it needs to be far more capable as something other than a great handheld.

From what I've read (perhaps in Digital Foundry weekly) they are surmising there will be no docked/undocked modes this time. Just one mode that runs at full whack so presumably it's going to be 1080p still - DLSS upscaling from lower than that which will mean the graphics will "look" like PS5 level. Just a theory.

Last edited:

simpatico

In my quest to play every version of Symphony of the Night, I bought a Razer Kishi for my iPhone. First time really spending time with that Switch form factor, and I gotta say it's pretty good. I'll be checking on it for sure.

tmlDan

Honestly, good riddance then cause you clearly dont appreciate gaming anymore.

it's better than ever. I make this statement as someone who has been gaming since the early 90's, maybe you just don't care for gaming anymore cause of your age, not sure.

From the description you mention cinematic games like other games don't exist, it's your fault you don't broaden your horizons, so many good "game" games out there on all platforms.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then dont get them?

Games like Elden Ring, Armored Core VI and many other 3rd party game aren't trying to be cinematic or realistic.....This gen Sony completely lost me with their first party games but we still getting great quality 3rd party games.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hear ya, I have totally lost interest in AAA cinematic blockbuster games. They absolutely bore me to tears. I’d rather just watch a movie or read a book.

There have been so many times I’ve fired up some big overhyped game and an hour later I just shut it off because I don’t give a shit.

The one big exception is Cyberpunk 2077, that game is a damn masterpiece. Probably because it is a lot closer to 80s and 90s badass action sci fi and is nothing like the MCU diarrhea we usually get.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's the weakest form of entertainment for such a thing.
I mean sure if you're not into interactivity or agency or any sort of involvement with the media you are consuming beyond just viewing it. If everybody had this mindset when making video games, Baldur's Gate 3 (and the previous games for that matter) would not have happened.

"Where's the fun in directly impacting a story and creating your own tale, where every different playthrough is a different narrative? People just want fUn gaMEpLaY!!11!"

I mean sure if you're not into interactivity or agency or any sort of involvement with the media you are consuming beyond just viewing it. If everybody had this mindset when making video games, Baldur's Gate 3 (and the previous games for that matter) would not have happened.

"Where's the fun in directly impacting a story and creating your own tale, where every different playthrough is a different narrative? People just want fUn gaMEpLaY!!11!"
What you're talking about would be great if everything wasn't scripted with such limitations. Like if everyone could have unique experiences with different outcomes, but at best they vary at the smallest level.

Synless

Must say, I never really understood those who require a "good story" in video games. It's the weakest form of entertainment for such a thing. Movies, and especially books in particular are vastly superior in that aspect.
Books sure, no fucking way is a movie better than a game that I spend huge chucks of my time investing in the visuals, characters, and plot.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What you're talking about would be great if everything wasn't scripted with such limitations. Like if everyone could have unique experiences with different outcomes, but at best they vary at the smallest level.
They don't though. Every playthrough people have of BG3 is wildly different and the story completely changes when you make certain actions in the game or assist certain people- it's exactly why the game is a GOTY nominee. This kind of experimentation in game design is possible because games are an evolving and changing genre

This, a million times.
Anybody who loves gaming enough to broaden their horizons would have gotten a PC a long time ago. If you're getting tired of the AAA shit and you only own a Playstation (or a Nintendo) that's on you for only playing AAA.

PC has all the games and the stuff it's missing out on is making its way there whether though emulation or official ports.

Nintendo is weird for me. They have never really clicked for me, but it's the company that I want to support/enjoy more than any other in the entire industry. I feel like I'm missing out on something and it makes me sad honestly.

Part of it might be due to when I started gaming and how. I was born in 91 and didn't really play games until I was like 6 or so. It was mostly stuff like Janes combat fighters and Delta Force (those two stick out in my mind) on PC. My first console was a PS1. I had a GBC but I only played Pokemon. I played some Nintendo stuff on my friend's GameCube (which is what brought me to love Zelda which is the only Nintendo franchise I have actual love for) but the first Nintendo console I owned myself was a Wii which I really didn't like but kept for Skyward Sword and WW/TP.

I played my Switch for probably like 250 hours total probably but I owned 3 of them lol. Most of that time was spent in BOTW/TOTK with some visual novels thrown in.

Fake

My last exclusive was God of War. Never get any Sony game. Even God of War have a good combat system, I can't deny that cutscenes are all over the place.

I play on playstation for third parties from now on. I have my Switch lite and is good enough.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You need to play games outside of the usual AAA releases. Buy a Steam Deck and enjoy the widest variety of games at incredibly an lowest cost. Nintendo will be making the same games they're making today on their next system.

The Switch is the most advanced console they've ever released and one of the biggest games this year is a 2D Mario game.

Puscifer

There’s a whole giant world of fantastic indies for you to explore.
I've put more hours into Risk of Rain 2 and Dragon Ball Fighterz than I have any Sony exclusive because they're just more fun long term. I have no idea how the hell anyone gets hundreds of hours out of many of these cinematics games because once the presentation wears off what's left?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo is weird for me. They have never really clicked for me, but it's the company that I want to support/enjoy more than any other in the entire industry. I feel like I'm missing out on something and it makes me sad honestly.

Part of it might be due to when I started gaming and how. I was born in 91 and didn't really play games until I was like 6 or so. It was mostly stuff like Janes combat fighters and Delta Force (those two stick out in my mind) on PC. My first console was a PS1. I had a GBC but I only played Pokemon. I played some Nintendo stuff on my friend's GameCube (which is what brought me to love Zelda which is the only Nintendo franchise I have actual love for) but the first Nintendo console I owned myself was a Wii which I really didn't like but kept for Skyward Sword and WW/TP.

I played my Switch for probably like 250 hours total probably but I owned 3 of them lol. Most of that time was spent in BOTW/TOTK with some visual novels thrown in.
I'm with you on this one. Nintendo games do "click" for me and I enjoy them but they are overhyped.

Nintendo games are good, but people seem to think they're the only ones capable of making "fun" games or that their game design is head and toes above everything else in the industry. When in reality outside of Mario and Zelda most of the games are about as video gamey as others. They just have less cutscenes, a colorful artstyle and more puzzles.

there are Cinematic games out there with meh gameplay and a ton of cutscenes, but that isn't representative of the entire industry. And it certainly doesn't make Nintendo this gameplay god who cannot be challenged.

Danjin44

I feel like most people are waaaaay too focus on AAA high budget exclusives but forgetting lot of great third party games, AA games and indie games.

This gen I'm all about 3rd party AA games, most of favourite games all time are AA.....gaming is not all about high budget graphics showcase games so you drool over pretty visuals.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

If you guys can't find anything of interest in this AMAZING age of gaming, then yeah. You should probably spend your time and money elsewhere.
But come on, stop being such dramaqueens about it.

Also, nostalgia is a wicked wizard. It creeps up and makes the past feels better than anything that is here and now. I definitly feel some of that when thinking back to the "golden" age of gaming that was during my time growing up and discovering the depths of this fantastic medium.
That' normal, but come on.. gaming today has ALL that and a million other great stuff.

I'm currenty playing Alan Wake 2, Advanced war re-boot, Boltgun and Mario Wonder. Also a bit of Diablo and some graphic novels on the side. The 14 year old version of me would be absolutely mindblown having such a wide variety of games at the same time.

Gaming is better then ever.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I’m going the Nintendo-way in gaming, as I’m always a generation behind. Rekindling my love for the PS4 right now, and I still haven’t played Uncharted 4 yet .. Games are cheap, I can select what I REALLY want to play and don’t have to deal with bugs.

Reactions: WoJ

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Nintendo and PC is the way to go. I'd even argue that you should sub to gamepass. The indies on it are good and there are some big games too. Maybe just sub for a few months off and on.

I certainly found Nintendo's big 2 to be the best games I played this year, but I also enjoyed Spider-Man. I liked the comic book story. It was fun.

Mithos

I think I'm on my last "gen" of gaming (current PC/PS4Pro). I have not even gotten on the Switch/PS5/XSX Gen yet.
Everything is getting too damn expensive.

Danjin44

If you guys can't find anything of interest in this AMAZING age of gaming, then yeah. You should probably spend your time and money elsewhere.
Seriously this, if you cant find games to enjoy, you really better off finding different hobby all together.

Also, nostalgia is a wicked wizard. It creeps up and makes the past feels better than anything that is here and now. I definitly feel some of that when thinking back to the "golden" age of gaming that was during my time growing up and discovering the depths of this fantastic medium.
That' normal, but come on.. gaming today has ALL that and a million other great stuff.

I'm currenty playing Alan Wake 2, Advanced war re-boot, Boltgun and Mario Wonder. Also a bit of Diablo and some graphic novels on the side. The 14 year old version of me would be absolutely mindblown having such a wide variety of games at the same time.

Gaming is better then ever.
You "gAmiNg iS bEttaR thAn EvR!" guys should look in the mirror, because recency bias is a bridge troll if nostalgia is a wicked wizard. Every time someone says they've had it with modern gaming fuckery, you guys over-react and say "ohhhh ur too oldz!" or "kwit gaeming" nonsense when we have a perfect right to complain after the $500 buy-in.

There will always be exceptions with amazing games I don't have to name, but is that good enough? No. You can't blame people for being despondent when it took two years to get this gen up to a point where it produced quality games. As others have already stated, some of us have huge backlogs of games and don't need to depend on drip-feeds and subscriptions and remakes of remasters in order to have a good time, and we also don't need to "leave gaming" or any other such nonsense as that.

When has this hobby ever been an all-in or all-out ultimatum?

calistan

So, exactly the same stuff as you've been getting for the last 25 years, but with better graphics.

Top Bottom