• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Online Expansion Pack tier is now Nintendo most disliked video ever

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The video, which first revealed the new pricing tier required to access N64 and Mega Drive / Genesis games, has overtaken the E3 2015 trailer for Metroid Prime: Federation Force as the most divisive video on the platform.

At the time of publishing, the Nintendo Switch Online trailer has over 100,000 dislikes, and 17,000 likes, whereas the previous record holder has 11,000 likes to 96,000 dislikes.

It’s worth noting that the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack – Overview Trailer has around 500,000 fewer views, and also managed to achieve this in just 16 days.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The video, which first revealed the new pricing tier required to access N64 and Mega Drive / Genesis games, has overtaken the E3 2015 trailer for Metroid Prime: Federation Force as the most divisive video on the platform.

At the time of publishing, the Nintendo Switch Online trailer has over 100,000 dislikes, and 17,000 likes, whereas the previous record holder has 11,000 likes to 96,000 dislikes.

It’s worth noting that the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack – Overview Trailer has around 500,000 fewer views, and also managed to achieve this in just 16 days.

Still shocked by the emulation issues they are having on their Premium emulators and how they are shipping a device with an OLED screen and they still have not allowed those darn bars in the games to come off… class action lawsuits waiting to happen…

Rat Rage

Good. Nintendo has to learn that even the most rabid Nintendo fans are not THAT easily monetizable.

However, we'll have to see how well the expansion pass actually sells. Not all hugely disliked youtube videos translate 1:1 to "real life".

Last edited:

Neff

ZTPcV9.jpg

MaKTaiL

I'm out of the loop. Why are people disliking it? I watched the video and didn't think it was bad at all actually but since I don't have the console I have no idea how the announcement affects the ecosystem. Can someone clarify?

MrA

Banned
Good. Nintendo has to learn that even the most rabid Nintendo fans are not THAT easily monetizable.

However, we'll have to see how well the expansion pass actually sells. Not all hugely disliked youtube videos translate 1:1 to "real life".
well I know I didn't get it and I was completely ready too. when I expected it to be like an extra 10 dollars a year...

Neff

I'm out of the loop. Why are people disliking it? I watched the video and didn't think it was bad at all actually but since I don't have the console I have no idea how the announcement affects the ecosystem. Can someone clarify?

Extortionate (but optional) price hike on top of the regular online subscription allowing half-assed emulation of a poor selection of N64 games.

People clearly want the N64 games, but more of them, and emulated better, at a reasonable price.

TLZ

Banned
Price is a bit shitty yes. It's a bit cheaper for us Aussies though. Duno why.

I'm trying Mario 64 now and not having issues with the input lag. It's just like any other game on the Switch I've played.

But I guess it's the people with the original N64 and CRTs that are complaining. Then of course it'll feel laggier to them in comparison.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are the 64 games downloadable titles like any other downloadable title? As in you own them? Or are they “rented” like game pass?

I realized I haven’t read into this new service yet and I know nothing about how it works.

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

Will sell like hotcakes and after that they will announce super switch online ( the other options will not be available any longer) . This expansion pack is just a test how much people are willing to spend.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They took something that could have driven a lot more people to thier lame online service and made them happier and instead turned it into a huge rip off and angry customers.
I saw it on the store the other day and just got re-annoyed.

MaKTaiL

Extortionate (but optional) price hike on top of the regular online subscription allowing half-assed emulation of a poor selection of N64 games.

People clearly want the N64 games, but more of them, and emulated better, at a reasonable price.
Yikes. I understand now. I'd be pretty pissed too.

Xellos

It's a sad start but all Nintendo has to do is fix the emulation, release one or two more waves of games, and most of the negativity will go away. Even at $50/year.

00_Zer0

uC95owl.jpg

Don't worry. Nintendo Online won't be a thing in a few years when Nintendo pulls the rug out from under it's fans just like they did with V/C with no backwards compatibility between systems.

How many times are they going to sell the same classics over and over again? Enough is enough! I only have the bare minimum Nintendo Online family plan.
I will not be renting digital goods only to have them taken away from me again and again.

Retroarch is going to be my virtual console for all my classic gaming needs. The pic above looks like a mess right now, but soon enough these games will be organized, backed up, and ready to go for my own personal use.

Last edited:
It's a sad start but all Nintendo has to do is fix the emulation, release one or two more waves of games, and most of the negativity will go away. Even at $50/year.
They could also maybe try offering more for their paid online services than just rentals of emulators, ROMs and DLC.
It'd certainly look a lot more appealing if, say, I got to play Super Mario Odyssey or Metroid Dread free for one month. Okay, knowing Nintendo that's not realistic at all, but maybe at least SOMETHING from the eShop that's not just emulated ROMs.

MacReady13

I realize the pricing is ridiculous and is rightly being mocked BUT, we don’t want to hire our fucking games! Allow us to buy (proper) versions of these games Nintendo, for fucks sake.

MacReady13

uC95owl.jpg

Don't worry. Nintendo Online won't be a thing in a few years when Nintendo pulls the rug out from under it's fans just like they did with V/C with no backwards compatibility between systems.

How many times are they going to sell the same classics over and over again? Enough is enough! I only have the bare minimum Nintendo Online family plan.
I will not be renting digital goods only to have them taken away from me again and again.

Retroarch is going to be my virtual console for all my classic gaming needs. The pic above looks like a mess right now, but soon enough these games will be organized, backed up, and ready to go for my own personal use.
Sell? They’re not selling anything… it’s renting. There is no buying these games. We should have the option, no matter the quality.

Soodanim

uC95owl.jpg

RetroArch is 100x better than Switch if we’re talking home use (until SteamDeck comes). Shaders alone are worth the set up time and effort.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Cool.

Now is pthere any fucker here who actually tried the damn thing and can comment on it? Cuz shitting on Nintendo is always the hip thing to do, but I’d like some hands-on impressions and not YT downvotes or Twitter comparisons from people who have a frame counter in their occipital lobe.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good, I hope it fails massively to give Nintendo a wake up call. Never have a company needed a stronger dose of “vote with your wallet” than these guys this gen.
It will fail* because most people who actually play their Switch online don’t have any interest in N64 games and will keep their subscriptions to the lower tier, which is enough to have access to online play and saves.

*the definition of failure in this case will see a wide range of goalposts moving and will be mostly based on everyone’s unbased expectations. The only thing we can predict with scientific accuracy is that the result will always be Nintendoomed.

Top Bottom