• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Online Expansion Pack tier is now Nintendo most disliked video ever

Not only am I not getting a "expansion" but I am canceling NSO alltogether.

It has been barebones. Played total around 6 hours of SNES and NES games past 2 years. Played Mario 99 a lot, and that got scraped.

And on top of all, they make my money not worth for playing some [/sarcasm]"premium N64 and Genesis"[sarcasm] games

TidusYuna

major-league-cleveland-indians.gif

WhiteMajorAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It will fail* because most people who actually play their Switch online don’t have any interest in N64 games and will keep their subscriptions to the lower tier, which is enough to have access to online play and saves.

*the definition of failure in this case will see a wide range of goalposts moving and will be mostly based on everyone’s unbased expectations. The only thing we can predict with scientific accuracy is that the result will always be Nintendoomed.

Or various excuses will be found to explain why Nintendo not being able to deliver good emulation of their own platforms on powerful new devices (compared to the original Wii) makes sense and is pro consumer and A good value too ;). Far more likely than the above.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Are the 64 games downloadable titles like any other downloadable title? As in you own them? Or are they “rented” like game pass?

I realized I haven’t read into this new service yet and I know nothing about how it works.
All rented.

Cool.

Now is pthere any fucker here who actually tried the damn thing and can comment on it? Cuz shitting on Nintendo is always the hip thing to do, but I’d like some hands-on impressions and not YT downvotes or Twitter comparisons from people who have a frame counter in their occipital lobe.
I'm playing it, but I'm no fucker. You can ask me if you like, but I already said a bit in my previous post that you liked.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Cool.

Now is pthere any fucker here who actually tried the damn thing and can comment on it? Cuz shitting on Nintendo is always the hip thing to do, but I’d like some hands-on impressions and not YT downvotes or Twitter comparisons from people who have a frame counter in their occipital lobe.
Can only tell you I still have the side bars that OLED screens love so much (still not optional, as if Nintendo did not know they were shipping a device with an OLED display and what is bad for them and adds no value should be options), games like Yoshi’s Story have slowed own I really do not remember when you scroll to new areas (even in the first level), but I still need to try Zelda: TOoT (prefer it on 3DS generally than on TV or 2D handheld because the extra depth perception really helps this game… Kokoriko Village or Hyrule Fields… 😋).

Then again unless you think that the screenshots of TOoT online are faked to make the textures look worse 🤷‍♂️.

The pricing wouldn't bother me if the emulation were good, but the N64 games run like crap. Really lousy job from Nintendo.
and even though I may be "doing it wrong" not having an auto fire function for Star Fox 64 seriously sucks. I never liked that charge mechanic and prefered to go full auto like the original on snes.

Last edited:
“I don’t think it’s reasonable to make someone pay for a game and then prepare a network connection and charge a monthly fee.” -Satoru Iwata .

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm playing it, but I'm no fucker. You can ask me if you like, but I already said a bit in my previous post that you liked.
I read that post, and I appreciate that. That’s why I’d like more of that from more people.
I just hope people appreciating what they’re getting from the upgrade while acknowledging its problems won’t be considered “defending” it.

Then again unless you think that the screenshots of TOoT online are faked to make the textures look worse 🤷‍♂️.
I don’t. Those are worse than the originals and worse than in previous consoles’ VC version. Nobody should deny that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty bad when you can get worse ratings than di$ney and genie plus, masters of greed.

Will Nintendo even care though? Downvotes and negative comments can just be removed/hidden. If nobody bought it, then they might take notice.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm a longtime nintendo user among other consoles/pc, but I've never failed to be amazed at how little Nintendo seems to understand their fanbase. From making you rebuy games of the past each couple of years, disabling any twitch or youtube videos about their games, shutting down the multiplayer tweaks for playing smash bros tourneys during covid, to downright legal action against people doing preservation and modded improvement to ancient games...

I fundamentally have no understanding of nintendo execs. It might be business or cultural practices, but that doesn't explain how illogical it feels.

Last edited:

Phase

I'm a longtime nintendo user among other consoles/pc, but I've never failed to be amazed at how little Nintendo seems to understand their fanbase. From making you rebuy games of the past each couple of years, disabling any twitch or youtube videos about their games, shutting down the multiplayer tweaks for playing smash bros tourneys during covid, to downright legal action against people doing preservation and modded improvement to ancient games...

I fundamentally have no understanding of nintendo execs. It might be business or cultural practices, but that doesn't explain how illogical it feels.
They just want full control, and seem to get butthurt when they don't have it.

Top Bottom