• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch overclocking is now a thing

LordOfChaos

Because we can

https://gbatemp.net/threads/freebird-switch-clock-speed-control-sysmodule.530641/

This allows you to use any clock speed I've found on the Switch. The only restriction I have put in place is that you must be plugged into an official charger or docked if you are crazy enough to want to use the highest two GPU clock speeds. I am leaving it completely up to you to choose what clock speeds you want to use

I guess clock control would be more accurate, as you can pick any of the stock clock speed settings the Switch has available, rather than push it beyond that

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's interesting. Are there games that use a lower GPU speed that can be improved by forcing a higher GPU speed?

The thread you link seems to give a scattering of opinions but not many impressions of actually testing it out on games.

jadedm17

Would be curious to see how practical this is, as far as actual benefits
My immediate thought for anyone who chooses to void their warranty (as I assume this does) - My $400 launch PS4 died 363 days into its 365 day warranty, so I'm not that guy.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Interesting...so you could basically get docked mode perf without it being in the dock
well, yes but you'd still need to plug it into the wall. the only difference is you'd be using the switch screen and not being able to use your TV. not really a pro and defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

You could do this on the PSP. Presumably it's the same thing here, they just have it slower to conserve battery power.

V4skunk

Banned
That's interesting. Are there games that use a lower GPU speed that can be improved by forcing a higher GPU speed?

The thread you link seems to give a scattering of opinions but not many impressions of actually testing it out on games.
Higher clocks means better frame rates and higher resolution with games that run adaptive resolution.

Last edited:

Ivellios

This is actually great for emulators.

However even without overclock the Switch gets really hot on the dock, so personally i wont mess with this.

The switch gets pretty hot on some games...I could see it blowing up Samsung note style if you got to overboard...there’s also dust and age which may cause issues

To clarify, does this allow for higher clocks in docked mode? That would be sweet. Would provide better performance in many games and even lead to better visuals in adaptive rez games. But I fear how the cooling system would cope. I imagine people that are happy with a perpetually docked system would just crack open the cover and install a custom cooling solution, turning the switch into a supercharged switch variant non-portable boxed console.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
This is actually great for emulators.

However even without overclock the Switch gets really hot on the dock, so personally i wont mess with this.

Yeah even switch aint silent machine. I can hear mine from 3m away from the dock, not loud but audible. These small fans can make crazy sounds if pushed even more, but it is not clear if with this we can get higher clocks than it already have on the dock

Neo_Geo

Banned
well, yes but you'd still need to plug it into the wall. the only difference is you'd be using the switch screen and not being able to use your TV. not really a pro and defeats the purpose.

This is a dumb post. Being able to have docked performance while charging and in handheld is an excellent feature.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I guess when the Switch is docked it will run on a higher frequency, won’t it? This kind defeat the purpose of doing this, unless you can really specify clocks beyond the default values.

ljubomir

It's also good for underclocking for preserving the battery life. I can imagine some indie games not requiring that much juice.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Resident Switch nerd and modder here to answer all your questions about OC on the Switch, and any other modding questions :D
DISCLAIMER: Modding your devices can cause unintended damage, I do not suggest making any changes to your Switch unless you are well educated on the topic.

Yes, the Switch drops down clock speeds while in handheld mode to help with battery life and heat. It does help the performance of games, but isn't really the main reason for it. Having the sysmodule allows for people to change the clock as needed for what they're doing, and can be programmed straight into the homebrew app to utilize that module.

Say for RetroArch, or the Source engine port.

Would be curious to see how practical this is, as far as actual benefits
Practically it's great; there is still the question of how the actual hardware stands up to the OCing though. Right now, how N64 emulation stands on the Switch, OCing is the best method to ensure your performance.

Interesting...so you could basically get docked mode perf without it being in the dock
Yup! Hit the nail on the head; just depends on how the game handles the dock change whether or not you see any huge jump in performance.

No, you wouldn't need to plug it into the wall for OC; light OC only really shaves off about 45 minutes to 1 hour of battery life, if that. You can still use docked mode with it OCed. You might just want a fan pointed at the dock though >.>

To clarify, does this allow for higher clocks in docked mode? That would be sweet. Would provide better performance in many games and even lead to better visuals in adaptive rez games. But I fear how the cooling system would cope. I imagine people that are happy with a perpetually docked system would just crack open the cover and install a custom cooling solution, turning the switch into a supercharged switch variant non-portable boxed console.
Yes, it's a sysmodule, and in this case can be referenced while in handheld or docked mode. There's not a ton of people doing any extra cooling right now because it's generally not needed.

The issues people have been running into are more about killing their battery than killing the fan or other components. I think the team that originally started playing with the OC features cranked it up and let it run on for a good amount of time and it bubbled their battery, the pictures were....scary.

I guess when the Switch is docked it will run on a higher frequency, won’t it? This kind defeat the purpose of doing this, unless you can really specify clocks beyond the default values.
Yes, the Switch does kick up the performance in docked mode.
Yes, you can specify the clocks beyond default values; that's what overclocking is. Though the argument has been made that since the Switch is already under clocked, that over clocking causes no issues, which is still out for judgement.

Last edited:

kingbean

I would love to be able to do this with my switch but I've got to many games on my eshop to risk modding it. Maybe one day I'll buy one just to have as a modded switch.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You could do this on the PSP. Presumably it's the same thing here, they just have it slower to conserve battery power.
Or the New3Ds/2Ds. Mine loads everything instantly. Softmodding is a god send.

Hinedorf

Banned
Overclocking a compact device........ Just because it's possible does not mean it's not an incredibly stupid idea

The issues people have been running into are more about killing their battery than killing the fan or other components. I think the team that originally started playing with the OC features cranked it up and let it run on for a good amount of time and it bubbled their battery, the pictures were....scary.

Will switch work without the battery, in docked mode?

Isn't better framerates related to CPU instead of GPU?

Depends, but in the case of the switch it is the gpu that could use more grunt since most games are limited to 30fps anyway. The cpu's in the ps4 and xboner are universally crappy and they manage 4k at 30 with better gpu's.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Will switch work without the battery, in docked mode?
I haven't heard of anyone trying after killing the battery.
When a battery dies from heat, it typically bubbles, and the pictures they have of that bubble are uncomfortable to say the least. It wouldn't fit into the dock afterwards.
You could do a stripped down dock since it's just a small PCB where the power and stuff connects anyways, but I mean...if the battery is bubbled it's only a matter of time before that sucker pops.
It'd be more dangerous and stupid than just buying a new Switch, that's for sure.

Top Bottom