• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch shmup RXN: Raijin gets a physical release

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The vertical shmup RXN: Raijin is receiving a physical release on the Nintendo Switch; pre-orders open Aug.30th.

The only available version is on eShop. It has been in the $40 range since launch, so this is an attractive package for those who aren't willing to drop so much money on something they can't sell back. You can either opt for the normal edition at $39.99 or the Limited Edition (3,000 made) for $49.99 (includes a steelbook, manual, slipcover, and artbook).

So... what's so special?

A few things: RXN is a modern shmup that is also launching on the EXA-Arcadia hardware. It's 16:9 aspect ratio whereas many, many shmups were 4:3. All presented in high-definition.

The developer, Gulti Co LTD, has developed several other well-loved shmups in the genre such as Raiden Fighters Aces, Triggerheart Exelica, and Thunder Force VI. They have the pedigree.

RXN-LE_08-23-18.jpg

(image courtesy Gematsu)

Source

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've been meaning to get it but Ika got my full shmup attention recently : )

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've been meaning to get it but Ika got my full shmup attention recently : )
Now you can just wait for the physical version! Ikaruga ain't a bad diversion, though. How far can you get on 1 credit?

Keep an eye out for Shikhondo, PSiKYO Collection Vol.1, Ketsui Deathtiny, and Darius Cozmic Collection if you're into physical copies of shmups.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Now you can just wait for the physical version! Ikaruga ain't a bad diversion, though. How far can you get on 1 credit?

Keep an eye out for Shikhondo, PSiKYO Collection Vol.1, Ketsui Deathtiny, and Darius Cozmic Collection if you're into physical copies of shmups.
I'm way too rusty at Ika vs my DC days -- I barely managed to score 1.683M on 1cr recently, and watching some of the top-score replays is just humiliating. But I'm just grateful I can play it again in proper tate : ]

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
That's a nice LE but I might pass on this one. Studio Mudprints review left me a bit cold for this release. Biggest complaints being pointless weapon grinding, bloated number of stages that are repeat levels and bosses, and technical issues like major slowdown.

Honestly I wish this was a Danmaku Unlimited 3 physical release instead. Will just have to keep waiting for that one.

Don't forget about Psyvariar Delta coming late September. Steredenn: Binary Stars is also getting a limited Switch release soon. These STG's are killing my wallet.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's a nice LE but I might pass on this one. Studio Mudprints review left me a bit cold for this release. Biggest complaints being pointless weapon grinding, bloated number of stages that are repeat levels and bosses, and technical issues like major slowdown.

Honestly I wish this was a Danmaku Unlimited 3 physical release instead. Will just have to keep waiting for that one.

Don't forget about Psyvariar Delta coming late September. Steredenn: Binary Stars is also getting a limited Switch release soon. These STG's are killing my wallet.

I passed on Sterendenn (I have it digitally on PS4 but there's also a physical disc) but I'm definitely hyped for Psyvariar. I'm hoping for the second game, too, but the first one is still top-notch. I love ramming enemies!

I'd be over the moon if we got physical versions of Danmaku 3 or Dragon's Blaze or of M2 ShotTrigger's Dangun Feveron...

Switch and PS4 are gonna end up rivaling the PS2 and the Saturn when it comes to shmups, I'd wager. Gimme dem physical copies!

Top Bottom