• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switching from Android to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone give me an example of Android customization that really makes a difference for you?

Serious question, I've never had an Android phone. I can't imagine anything about iOS I'd like to customize, so maybe I'm missing out.

Basic Example

iOS: All your apps are accessible from your home screen.
Whether you want them there or not.

Droid: You choose which apps you want to display on your home screen.

iOS: You must keep stock apps installed on your system even though you never use them.

Droid: You can uninstall almost any app you want. Even if it would render your system unusable. (It should be noted that some programs run 2 or more apps, so if you uninstall one app because you're not using it, it may render another app that you do use unusable.)

iOS: Opened apps run in the background indefinitely, the standard user would need to read a guide to not only learn how to shut off these apps fully, but to learn that they need shutting off.

Droid: Task manager is a prominent on-screen button, you can very very easily and intuitively bring up and shut off any apps you're not using.

Syntsui

Basic Example

iOS: You must keep stock apps installed on your system even though you never use them.

Droid: You can uninstall almost any app you want. Even if it would render your system unusable. (It should be noted that some programs run 2 or more apps, so if you uninstall one app because you're not using it, it may render another app that you do use unusable.)

iOS: Opened apps run in the background indefinitely, the standard user would need to read a guide to not only learn how to shut off these apps fully, but to learn that they need shutting off.

Droid: Task manager is a prominent on-screen button, you can very very easily and intuitively bring up and shut off any apps you're not using.

It's not that simple, several apps on android run on background without you knowing and they are not easy to be shutdown completely.

labx

Banned
lol @ phone warz.

It's a phone, guys. You'd think these things are religions.

This guy...knows. Apple have become like a cult or something... A phone is a phone. Iphone like apple say is an "experience" an expensive one, but is a ok, if people can afford a phone with a year cicle.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Can someone give me an example of Android customization that really makes a difference for you?

Serious question, I've never had an Android phone. I can't imagine anything about iOS I'd like to customize, so maybe I'm missing out.

I have an android tablet for almost a year now...and frankly speaking. Its really a hyperbole. There isn't anything that makes me feel like I will desperately want these customization. The Google Play Store isn't anything to scream and happy at. Lots of the apps around are pretty dubious and useless. Even those that are functional, looks to be pretty buggy.

The only thing I like are the file manager & the split screen...the latter of which is coming to the ipad.

I have no idea why will anyone wants to hide an app away from the home page either. Even if I did, I'll just shove all of them into a folder on the ios.

Fliesen

this is like super-false even.
iOS multi-tasking is MUCH more restrictive than Android's.

Nozem

System level default application changing.

Apple Maps is still embarrassingly unusable, so I had to jailbreak my iPhone to be able to get places without constantly having to fight the OS about which application to use.

This is annoying, I agree. At least the booking.com app gives you a choice between Google Maps or Apple Maps. I'm still on iOS 8 though, it might be fixed in iOS 9 I hope.

Double clicking the one button on the face of the phone is clearly beyond the capabilities of most isheep right?

snacknuts

we all knew her

This is my current home screen:
hjdsyHZ.png
This is the only home screen I have. The apps I use the most are on this screen. Everything else stays in the app drawer and out of my way.

I have an agenda widget on my home screen so I always see what I have coming up when I open my phone. I don't have to go open an app or look in a notification drawer. This is hugely important for me.

I am using a third-party launcher because I don't like the stock launcher that comes with Android (I don't like that I can't get rid of the Google search bar). It lets me do things like double-tap the home screen to launch my camera or pinch to turn on my flashlight.

I have had two iPhones for eight months at each stint. iOS is not a bad mobile OS, but I don't like how restrictive it is and how it tries to make me do things the way Apple wants me to do them. That is part of what makes it a bad OS for me.

Interfectum

Your post is stupid. OP is trying to make a decision and one of his points is that Android is boring to him. The people you've quoted were saying that kind of stuff because on iOS there is less customization, which may lead to just another boring experience. I don't see how that's being salty?

I think he thought he'd get some laughs or something

Love when people don't read

Funny how you read those comments he was quoting and thought they were perfectly fine.

Wreav

Banned

Uninstall?

Wrong. Disable, maybe, but good luck getting it off your storage.

reKon

Banned

This is the only home screen I have. The apps I use the most are on this screen. Everything else stays in the app drawer and out of my way.

I have an agenda widget on my home screen so I always see what I have coming up when I open my phone. I don't have to go open an app or look in a notification drawer. This is hugely important for me.

I am using a third-party launcher because I don't like the stock launcher that comes with Android (I don't like that I can't get rid of the Google search bar). It lets me do things like double-tap the home screen to launch my camera or pinch to turn on my flashlight.

I have had two iPhones for eight months at each stint. iOS is not a bad mobile OS, but I don't like how restrictive it is and how it tries to make me do things the way Apple wants me to do them. That is part of what makes it a bad OS for me.

what kind of camping are you doing there bruh?

Literally everything lol. My phone is so far removed from a typical device it's crazy.

I've changed my lock screen to have more quick access toggles, things like the flashlight, a keycard keeper, volume toggles and things of that nature. And I've added a widget that shows me the time, weather, upcoming appointments etc etc.

I'm using a launcher that allows me to implement gesture controls instead of needing to pull down from the top, or drag up from the very bottom. A glide down from anywhere on my screen drops down my notification tab, a glide up from anywhere opens my app drawer. This is critical for phones with larger screens.

I have folders on the very bottom row of my desktop. But folders are ugly, so I've downloaded an icon pack to change them to fun, flat white symbols that blend in really well with my auto cycling backgrounds (it randomly shuffles every 30 minutes from a folder of about 200 wallpapers). The folders can be pressed to open, or I can press and slide off of them to trigger an app, or shortcut (pressing the utility folder has a bunch of random tools, sliding off opens my calculator).

The app drawer has been changed from pages to a continuous vertical stream of icons, with two "tabs", the first tab is apps, and if I "flip" the column over, it's widgets. You can alter the transparency of the drawer as well to better suit your aesthetic preference, and change the animation it opens to.

I've changed how many icon rows and columns there are on my desktop, which makes widget placement more intuitive on occasion.

I've changed how many icons I can store on the foot of the screen (I only like 1 row, so I've changed it to 5 icons and got rid of the app drawer, since I've changed that to a gesture). I can alter the size of the icons as well, I have them slightly smaller. I've also removed the text from under the app when its in the desktop folders, though I've kept it for whatevers in the app drawer.

Then you have your frilly stuff like changing the animations between pages and what have you, but I only have 3, and the pages to the left and right of the home screen are empty, I really just have them to use the weird moving of the background thing lol.

Big Blue

Basic Example

-Customizable default apps has been been my favorite recent addition.
-Notification LEDs, with custom colors for each alert
-File manager (now a must for me)
-More file support

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who used to love customizing his phone and was a big Linux user I can confidently say I'm no longer interested in doing so and I'd rather have a device that just works and is well rounded from the get go with minimal effort on my part.

I feel like that's a similar angle OP is coming from.

I am tempted to go back to android next year when I'm tired of my iPhone 6 Plus. But I'm nervous as I have dark memories of my galaxy s4 getting really slow after six months. And installing a few apps and suddenly having a dead phone, having no idea which app was going rogue in the background without ever even being opened. IOS is far from perfect - FAR - and there are TONS of shortcomings and bugs. And the myth that every app is a beautiful sophisticated amazing piece of software is just that, a myth. But I'd need to see android marshmallow to know if Android is getting its shit together.

In any case, yes, iPhone is a solid experience that's increasingly becoming more functional and fun to use.

As someone who used to love customizing his phone and was a big Linux user I can confidently say I'm no longer interested in doing so and I'd rather have a device that just works and is well rounded from the get go with minimal effort on my part.

I feel like that's a similar angle OP is coming from.

I didn't even start off doing it for aesthetic reasons. Most of the alterations I made were for increased usability actually :p Then regarding the phone makeover, the lions share comes from a single launcher.

Basic Example

I can access any app I want via spotlight. So I can bury any less frequently used app on another screen

On android you can only disable. The stuff is still there

Apps on iOS don't run indefinitely. There are countless complaints about safari tab refresh on open. Apps are aggressively managed. It's not as bad as Windows Phone though.

As for viewing my calendar from a home screen I can now do the same on iOS via notification shade. I too only use a single home screen.

The thing is this: while we've all adapted to our OS to make it the fastest way to get to things the core common users are not the same. They'll still open and swipe four pages.

leng jai

Homescreen:

You can pretty much make it as uncluttered as you please. Top right is the battery indicator, middle is a clock and weather widget. Bottom right has call button, texting app and the app drawer button which brings up all your installed programs. Pressing the clock brings in Whatsapp (you can change it to launch anything you though). Then you have the gestures which you can customise with pretty much any function. I've set mine as:

Swipe up - music player app
Swipe down - Chrome
Double tap - Weatherzone
Pinch in - Instagram
Pinch out - camera

etc.

I use an Android phone (OG Moto X, my Pure is on the way) and my wife uses an iPhone. Both are great, and they're not really that different from each other. So if you're bored with Android, after the initial honeymoon phase you're going to get bored with iPhone too.

The iPhone is the best in terms of quality and iOS apps tend to hit sooner than the Android version, but as others have mentioned Android gives you more flexibility. They're both good though, and honestly for most people they're going to be functionally the same.

It kind of depends on how you use your phone, if you just have a few apps that you go to 90% of the time it may not make a big difference for you. For me, the Android widgets are what makes the biggest difference. If you're not familiar, widgets are versions of your apps that you can put on your homescreens that you can interact with. So I keep my main homescreen pretty clean but have a weather widget. I have a second "work" homescreen that has calendar, messaging and gmail widgets so I can scroll through all three on one page. It's super handy and lets me keep track of things all in one place without having to launch apps. iOS doesn't have anything equivalent.

There are apps you can download that modify your lockscreen, so that you can access different apps or perform various functions directly from the lockscreen. It's super efficient, although I stopped using them because the Moto Active screen is handier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'll never get this, which is probably why I don't agree with you. I can't fathom why I would always want to see my schedule every time I unlock my phone. Same goes for all of those weather widgets that people love to have take up half of their home screens.

I initially thought widgets were awesome, but in the end, I never found any that were really useful in practical terms.

Homescreen:

You can pretty much make it as uncluttered as you please. Top right is the battery indicator, middle is a clock and weather widget. Bottom right has call button, texting app and the app drawer button which brings up all your installed programs. Pressing the clock brings in Whatsapp (you can change it to launch anything you though). Then you have the gestures which you can customise with pretty much any function. I've set mine as:

Swipe up - music player app
Swipe down - Chrome
Double tap - Weatherzone
Pinch in - Instagram
Pinch out - camera

etc.

Now this... this I really can't understand. The desire for an "uncluttered" (read: empty) home screen on a smartphone just boggles my mind. You're unlocking your phone to look at a blank screen...

Husker86

I'll never get this, which is probably why I don't agree with you. I can't fathom why I would always want to see my schedule every time I unlock my phone. Same goes for all of those weather widgets that people love to have take up half of their home screens.

I initially thought widgets were awesome, but in the end, I never found any that were really useful in practical terms.

Now this... this I really can't understand. The desire for an "uncluttered" (read: empty) home screen on a smartphone just boggles my mind. You're unlocking your phone to look at a blank screen...

While I don't go for minimalistic, I really do like having my agenda widget on my main screen. Not every event is "how the hell could you forget this within three days of it occurring" important. But still, that's me.

That's the point. You can make choose to do it either way on Android. If that's not a positive for you, that's fine, but apparently other people prefer it.

I hate to always have to state this in these threads, but once again, I like iOS, I always own a current iPhone, but one thing that really bugs me about people's arguments against Android is "I don't understand why you'd want that, so having the option to do it that way isn't a positive".

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I have widgets on my android tablet too...to be honest, i have no idea why people hype it as if its something that's mindblowing. I have a weather/clock widget in the first page, a twitter and email widget occupying maybe 1/4 of the screen in the other page and that's about it. It looks to be a gimmick than a feature tbh.

I have all of my widgets on a side homescreen, other than a weather widget because I like to know what the weather is. So the agenda isn't always there, but if I want it to be there I can swipe over. I have a lot of meetings to go to during my work day, some of which require prep, so it is very handy to have it. I get a lot of emails and texts too so it's handy to see everything on one screen.

There's more widgets than just calendars and weather, and they're resizable. My weather widget takes up the space of one app icon and gives me plenty of info. In addition to my work screen (gmail, text, and calendar widgets) I have a music screen that has widgets for controlling various music apps (Amazon, Play, Sonos).

While I don't go for minimalistic, I really do like having my agenda widget on my main screen. Not every event is "how the hell could you forget this within three days of it occurring" important. But still, that's me.

That's the point. You can make choose to do it either way on Android. If that's not a positive for you, that's fine, but apparently other people prefer it.

I hate to always have to state this in these threads, but once again, I like iOS, I always own a current iPhone, but one thing that really bugs me about people's arguments against Android is "I don't understand why you'd want that, so having the option to do it that way isn't a positive".

Yeah, it's all about the options and personalization. I get it that some people won't use all the options but I don't get people who imply that having the option is bad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not necessarily sure that's the argument being presented by most people.

Of course having options is generally a good thing. No one is arguing that Android should copy iOS and remove those options. At least, I don't think so.

It's just that many people like to argue that "having options" is a huge feature that everyone can appreciate. That may be true, but the dilemma is not "options vs. no options," it's "Android vs. iOS" and there are a lot of other differences between the two platforms to consider when it comes to choosing one over the other.

In the end, the ability to customize certain things just isn't a big enough value add for a large number of people. If the choice were "more options on iOS with no downsides vs. status quo," I imagine people would react quite differently.

Husker86

I'm not necessarily sure that's the argument being presented by most people.

Of course having options is generally a good thing. No one is arguing that Android should copy iOS and remove those options. At least, I don't think so.

It's just that many people like to argue that "having options" is a huge feature that everyone can appreciate. That may be true, but the dilemma is not "options vs. no options," it's "Android vs. iOS" and there are a lot of other differences between the two platforms to consider when it comes to choosing one over the other.

In the end, the ability to customize certain things just isn't a big enough value add for a large number of people. If the choice were "more options on iOS with no downsides vs. status quo," I imagine people would react quite differently.
Right. I'm not saying people are crazy for not preferring Android since it has more options. My issue is that some refuse to understand that having options is a positive, period. Whether that positive is worth it for a particular person to switch platforms is of course always the million dollar question.

wildfire

Banned

LMAO that's over the top.

I was hoping for some funny reviews but only a few barely deliver.

Do not install this junk!!! Google never made any kind of app that can move from iOS to android and this app as you see it said "you can recycle your android phone at any Apple store" It said RECYCLE!! What's wrong with Apple.

Apple b effed my entire family! I am the only Android user in my family and my bottom parts remain unsullied. My mum and pop all have apple fisted bottoms. My older brother and younger sister, they are hurting because of the red delicious beast. Stay away applepeople, you go!

Finally... I've been wanting to get a more expensive phone but with less features for a while now, and finally I can. No need to make my phone a customized reflection of my personality when I can let apples ugly UI be my first and last thing I see everyday. The best part is with an iPhone I can sell all of my practical multi-purpose micro-USB cables for crappy proprietary Apple cables that cost more but offer no benefit other than enslaving me into a culture of only buying Apple products. Sign me up!

Crapple Where's the material design? Also "if it's not an iphone it's not an iphone" NO!!! REALLY!? WOW HERE I WAS THINKING ALL PHONES WERE IPHONES! THANKS APPLE FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS! #AndroidMasterRace

I really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel. My fellow android users need more humor in their lives.

SMattera

After RMAing..

Three Nexus 6s
A Moto X
A Note 5

I'm seriously about to switch to iPhone. If the second Note 5 is also messed up, I will get an iPhone 6s Plus. Don't like iOS, but I can't afford to have all these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom