• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online |OT| Batman, now with more wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Episode 23

Lol. A worthless episode other than the last few minutes. This entire ALO in general has been filled with painful garbage. Only 2 more eps to go. Thank the Lord!

Prologue

Episode 23

Lol. A worthless episode other than the last few minutes. This entire ALO in general has been filled with painful garbage. Only 2 more eps to go. Thank the Lord!

If it gets renewed, any idea when the next batch of eps would come out?

Lazlo

I know the 3rd game in the story is the gun online game, how does it compare to SAO and ALO? Better or worse?

Next arc spoilers
His new character looks like a girl, he pairs up with a new girl who thinks he's a girl IRL. What could go wrong?

Can't believe this episode was 70% fighting and that what I though was the best animated bit was when the green hair dude went down a set of stairs in the middle of a conversation.

Vibed

I liked the last bit of the episode. The rest was contrived and forced in as always.

God, this anime is such a guilty pleasure for me, lol

Articalys

Assuming these are real, they better animate this in 2013. Make it happen, A-1 Pictures!
The highest chance of something being announced soon would be at the Accel World x Sword Art Online event in early February. They'll probably announce more anime for one or both series then.

Kiryu

I'll give the episode 23

7.5/10

Why? I am sorta happy that Suguha (Leafa) can finally acknowledge Kirito as his brother than lover. Hey... Love is love. Any loving Family will have a special bond.
Just like NaruSasu Bond cannot be broken

Can one eps have this much loopholes? My brain is like swiss cheese.

Nothing that happened made any sense.

Why did leafa have a random heat stroke? Thought she got sniped or something.

Why didn't they call for backup in the first place? Did the author write this whole chapter thing in 1 breath?

Episode was alright I guess.

Animation for the fighting was kind of poor though. I also saw some reuse with the dragons.

Also too many "slice guys, then pan across this still of them dismembered" shots.

22 set a better tone with the fighting then it went downhill here.

I do agree that things in this anime could have been handled a lot better.

The show has a promising concept and environments(especially ALO's), but I don't think it's being fully utilized.

Episode was alright I guess.

Animation for the fighting was kind of poor though. I also saw some reuse with the dragons.

Also too many "slice guys, then pan across this still of them dismembered" shots.

22 set a better tone with the fighting then it went downhill here.

I do agree that things in this anime could have been handled a lot better.

The show has a promising concept and environments(especially ALO's), but I don't think it's being fully utilized.

second season will use better some ALO & SAO concepts also if you're intrested on the game side ( gameplay ) you should try to watch "sword art offline".

The did cut a nice part of the game side will making this season

The thing that bugs me the most about this first season is the half-assing of all the fight scene animations. There's so much still-framing and static panning it makes me think of JC Staff's "efforts" in fight animation. I hope in the second season they have more budget and put it more towards the fight animation. The show has great background art and in general it's art design is quite consistently good, but then things start moving around and it all goes to shit.

23:

Oh, right. Kirito never fails to use that. Yep, he used THAT. As usual, it worked out like everything always does for him. He's less like Batman and more like McGyver if you think about it. He always thinks of exactly what it is he needs exactly when he needs it.

The thing that bugs me the most about this first season is the half-assing of all the fight scene animations. There's so much still-framing and static panning it makes me think of JC Staff's "efforts" in fight animation. I hope in the second season they have more budget and put it more towards the fight animation. The show has great background art and in general it's art design is quite consistently good, but then things start moving around and it all goes to shit.

23:

Oh, right. Kirito never fails to use that. Yep, he used THAT. As usual, it worked out like everything always does for him. He's less like Batman and more like McGyver if you think about it. He always thinks of exactly what it is he needs exactly when he needs it.

He reminds me more of lemmings. Does w/e the fuck his shit brain wants him to do, while the author struggles to guide him to victory.

Prologue

The fight scene should have been better :(. I guess they used most of the budget for Kirito's first attempt at the raid :(.

They drag that molestation scene too long as well.

Ep 24
Kind of a gross episode in the first ten minutes.
He was licking all over Weaksuna, taking her clothes off exposing her, and like sniffing her and then like going to do that to her IRL, pretty disgusting and felt way unnecessary
. Though Kirito was so epic and awesome, so it made the episode pretty awesome and I was so glad for the
Kirito Akihiko moment, teamwork enabled such a glorious win! hope the dude comes around again in future SAO franchise offerings, as he's quite underrated and is definitely up there with Kirito as best in the series.

The fight scene should have been better :(. I guess they used most of the budget for Kirito's first attempt at the raid :(.

They drag that molestation scene too long as well.

I thought they used most of the budget on the running and the door.
tumblr_mf35t8BHXU1qemapno5_400.gif
tumblr_mf35t8BHXU1qemapno7_400.gif

exarkun

I'm at episode 17 and I gotta say...

The wifey stuff with Assna killlled me because it made her character needy and back into a trope (well she was always tsundere). It also was weird since they were like 16 when they did it. Then the weird shit with the sister and her odd loving of him in a non-familial way is just...

whyyyyyy did they have to do this. It basically turned the show into a parody of current anime.

I agree with those that like the sister more than Assna. When did she become soooo dependent on someone else to save her? She started the series being so strong.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Episode 24

Other than the obvious cringeworthy scene, this episode actually wasn't too terrible. It's obvious from the get go that this episode has much more production value than any of the other episodes previous to it - why I will never know.

Still the episode manages to hold its own being very distinct in trying to relay that this is the final stretch. The conclusion was a tad lackluster but that's to be expected considering who Kirito is and who Oberon is. The new track was a nice touch and visually it's pretty amazing.

The Deus ex Machina is a glaring flaw in the episode but even so, the inclusion of it was nice if not for the fact that the Deus ex Machina is a underappreciated badass. Meh.

EDIT: I expect at least 3 gifs from this episode. So much of it is gif worthy.

Averon

SAO 24

NTR
Ha! You can't withstand my admin powers!
Ha! Ha! You can't withstand my even better admin powers!!

I was laughing almost the entire episode. Everything in it was comical. The NTR. The Goofy villain. The ass pull of ass pulls.

Sword Art Online 24

This was a dreadfully poor, woefully anticlimactic, and thoroughly inconsistent episode, extensively paralleling ALO as a whole, as it possessed several satisfying moments amidst a plethora of considerably contrived developments. As such, the last section of the episode was moderately stronger than the terribly pointless first half. Unfortunately, the supposed climax of this narrative was, aside from
Yui‘s emotional reunion with her “mother“
, immensely disappointing, as it was far more needlessly trite and contrived than any singular development that occurred in the conclusion of the first arc, particularly
Kayaba's miraculous appearance
. Of course, the most significant flaw in this episode was the dreadfully unnecessary inclusion and subsequent prevalence of Sugou’s laughably absurd and unconvincing actions, as the portrayal of these were, inconceivably, much more detrimental to the quality of this episode than even Suguha’s repetitive fanservice was in earlier episodes. This episode, similar to the majority of ALO, lacked even a semblance of tension, much unlike the conclusion to the first arc.

The worst sequence, by far, was the scene in which
Asuna is chained and forcibly molested by Sugou
, which effectively extinguished whatever fraction of decency appeared in the remainder of the episode, since, similar to the
tentacle fanservice
earlier, these moments of unbridled pandering were completely unnecessary, detracting heavily from the story, as the considerably heightened "fanservice" in ALO consistently has.

Yui's certainly one of the best and most useful female characters in the show, so her
reunion with Asuna
was the highlight of the episode. Normally, I would have preferred a subtly different approach to that particular moment, since it focused on the dynamic between
Yui and her "parents"
, rather than
Kirito and Asuna's relationship
, but it was executed with an unexpectedly emotional flourish that definitely complemented the accompanying atmosphere. Of course, I fully expect
their relationship
to be far more prominent in the conclusive episode, so the partial absence of this aspect wasn't particularly unsatisfying. Thankfully, Suguha was largely absent, but, given the abundance of flaws that permeated this episode, that's an extremely small compliment.

Sugou’s characterization, though typically one-dimensional and effectively non-existent, was ridiculously excessive throughout this episode, as he was essentially depicted as a near-parody, rather than an actual antagonist, complete with cackling laughter and derisive, long-winded monologues that conveniently explained his "oh-so-sinister" intentions, such as
raping Asuna's comatose body in the real world
, for whatever dastardly reason. Of course, I suppose this wasn’t a significant differentiation from the rest of the arc, but I would have definitely appreciated even a modicum of depth or intrigue to appear at some point, since he provided absolutely nothing beneficial to the story, as he altogether ruined the majority of otherwise decent moments that he was directly involved in. The horribly exaggerated portrayal of this "villainous" character inexplicably extended to
his virtual death
, in which, as his ludicrously expressive
face hurtles towards Kirito
, Kirito simply
raises his sword, impaling his severed torso

The production values continue to be the most impressive element within ALO, improving considerably in it’s consistency, comparative to the first arc. However, the animation was inconsistent throughout this episode, underwhelming during the action sequence, but impressing considerably towards the beginning of the episode, most evident as Kirito and Yui were running through the halls. Unfortunately, the entire action sequence was disappointingly mediocre, due to it's brevity and the unimpressive animation, along with a tendency for middling choreography. Musically, this episode was solid, but unspectacular.

All in all, Sword Art Online has gradually deteriorated throughout this arc, only ever fleetingly elevating itself beyond a monotonous tedium momentarily, and, as such, following nearly every single impressive element that was filtered into the narrative, the story repeatedly faltered in a substantially detrimental manner, suffused with a plethora of contrivances and pointless diversions from the primary story, revealing a fractured and unfocused narrative. I’m partially looking forward to the epilogue, but only for
Kirito and Asuna’s conclusion
, and, to an extent,
Sugou's inevitably pitiful, but satisfying fate
. ALO is thoroughly extraneous and badly-written, hardly offering a shred of compelling insight into any of the characters and riddled with convenient, repetitious developments that are only tangentially consequential to the narrative or the characters. As such, SAO's climactic episode, for all it's criticisms, was immensely more enjoyable and considerably better than this, and, due to this arc's obvious worthlessness, the next episode should have been the fifteenth, and, in turn, the actual conclusion to the show.

Kusagari

Holy shit at SAO episode 24. This was one of the most hilariously bad episodes of an anime I've ever seen.

I was practically in tears when Sugou started
to actually lick up Asuna's own tears

Episode 24:

Apparently Batman is so awesome that even the Ghost in the Shell of Two-Face comes back and helps him against the Joker. Nobody fucks with the Batman, especially since the Long Arm of the Plot always magically makes things go his way. This Batman is more like Tim Burton's Batman though, who actually kills the Joker as opposed to Christopher Nolan's Batman. I never understood why it was okay for Nolan's Batman to let Ra's Al Ghul die but the Joker had to be spared. I guess the real Joker is cool enough that the Sephiroth Memorial Escape Clause applies to him. This fake Joker in SAO was kinda shitty though, so he got the axe. And by the axe, I mean the claymore. Straight through the face. After he got dismembered and cut in half first. This show would be a lot better if there was blood in the virtual world.

Yui is actually the best character in this show.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Episode 24:
Yui is actually the best character in this show.

Yui is the best character. She is smart and useful. She's emotionally stable, and she fits in your pocket. When you need some authentic manufactured moe, you just pull her out! When you're tired of that, stuff her away.

Yui is the best character. She is smart and useful. She's emotionally stable, and she fits in your pocket. When you need some authentic manufactured moe, you just pull her out! When you're tired of that, stuff her away.

She also expands to full human child size on demand, or when the plot requires it! Her entire codebase fits inside your VRMMO's client helmet too, for easy portability from game to game where she can instantly locate anyone in the game world, open unhackable doors, and hug you when you need a hug! Since she is flagged as an NPC by the game, she is also an Immortal Object!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
She also expands to full human child size on demand, or when the plot requires it! Her entire codebase fits inside your VRMMO's client helmet too, for easy portability from game to game where she can instantly locate anyone in the game world, open unhackable doors, and hug you when you need a hug!

All the rewards of having a child. None of the responsibilities!

All the rewards of having a child. None of the responsibilities!

She'll never run away with that douchebag you keep trying to warn her about when she's in high school. She'll never get pregnant with that douchebag, who then immediately abandons her to become a single mom at the age of 17. She'll never talk back to you, or call you an idiot. And she doesn't need to be potty trained! She really is the perfect daughter!

Kiryu

I'm not going to watch episode 24 today because I am going to save 24 and 25 episode on next Saturday when it is done.

(So I could vent it all out against that molester guy named Sugou)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom