• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Coast Legends is doing some very interesting stuff

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm referring to its Dungeon Master mode inspired by Dungeons & Dragons (an old table top game that those kids played in that episode on Recess).

Sword Coast Legends has a regular story mode like other RPGs but this is the standout feature for me and why I'm so interested.

Fextralife explains it well.
Fextralife said:
In addition to a deep campaign mode, the multiplayer elements extend to perhaps Sword Coast Legends’ most intriguing gameplay feature: Dungeon Master Mode. In what equates to a 1v4 format, players can assume the role of Dungeon Master and craft a fully fledged campaign of their own, that can be played by a party of players. Dungeons can be created and modified in real time, with DM’s able to change the difficulty to react to their players’ successes or struggles and even take control of bosses directly to up the challenge for the party.

The campaign creation toolset features a robust editor which gives aspiring Dungeon Masters the ability to create and edit custom quests, locations, and creatures. Do you fancy a branching murder mystery that begins in the mountains and comes to its climax fighting an undead army deep in catacombs? Check. How about recovering a world impacting item burgled from a distraught NPC? That can be easily done. The options for story realization are endless, and quests can be chained together to form a truly world spanning epic. It doesn’t get much more D&D than that. That intimate, dynamic and unpredictable experience is the kernel of the tabletop game and responsible for the profound attachment by millions. Capturing that essence and transferring it to the digital realm is no small task, but after viewing gameplay footage and developer streams, n-Space’s passion and understanding of the game’s emergent magic is evident.
Here is how the game looks.

This is the video that sold me. I encourage you to watch the first 5 minutes or so to get a good idea of how the Dungeon Master thing works.

Basically, as dungeon master you get to create NPCs, create quests (writing, enemies and even item placements in a room), create traps, give chests, etc. This sounds really cool to me and I've never heard of any other game attempt it. I've read that the game's combat is real time, has 1-6 abilities and feels like a MOBA. I believe that, despite its generic look (imo), the game is set in an established world but I've never heard of it.

Here are the basics of the game.
Fextralife said:
The gameplay features a top down, tactical, party-based approach which allows players to pause time and queue up attacks and abilities. Character creation, customization and in-game actions all are based off of the most recent D&D 5th Edition ruleset which is both instantly familiar to long time vets, and also very approachable to newcomers. Players can choose from 5 races and 6 classes to flesh out their 4 person party. Along the way, various NPC companions will join players on their quests. The campaign can be experienced solo, or with up to 3 other players in online co-op.

It is developed by n-Space which has some developers from Dragon Age: Origins and the game is releasing September 29, 2015 on PC and supposedly later in the year for PS4 and Xbone.

Update
Yeah, they got a lot of negative feedback from that last head start. Just announced they're pushing the game's release back (again).

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/4460-sword-coast-legends-new-launch-dates/
SWORD COAST LEGENDS NEW LAUNCH DATES

PC, Mac and Linux Release October 20, 2015
PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Versions Now Slated for Q1 2016

Katori

It looks pretty decent, DM mode is a great idea (Neverwinter-the-MMO had a campaign creator but not quite like this).

I adore the subtle trolling in the OP, though.

Walpurgis

Banned
It looks pretty decent, DM mode is a great idea (Neverwinter-the-MMO had a campaign creator but not quite like this).

I adore the subtle trolling in the OP, though.
I wasn't really trolling. That's basically my only exposure to Dungeons & Dragons. :p
The game sounds pretty fun. Cooldowns and six abilities isn't very D&D, even if they claim it's based on 5E... They're sure to get some heat on that front. This is a relatively far cry from previous D&D adaptations that held to the rules quite closely.

But for what it's trying to do -- accessible on the fly light DM -- it sounds like it'll be a pretty fun multiplayer game. Certainly not as grand as what could be done with Neverwinter Nights, but a hell of a lot easier to play with friends.

The most interesting thing is how DMing is gamified. You get points for letting the players win, which if saved up smartly you can use to unleash hell on them later. So the game encourages you to try to make a fun experience, while making it into a risk/reward setup. Again, that's incredibly limiting compared to Neverwinter Nights' DM tools but it makes a ton of sense for a game meant to be played casually with everybody trying their hand at the DM role.
Huh. I've heard of Neverwinter Nights but I didn't know it had Dungeon Masters. I just thought it was a single player RPG.
A robust multiplayer component separates Neverwinter Nights from previous Dungeons & Dragons games, as this allows players to play on many different servers hosting games. Depending on hardware and bandwidth, each server can support up to ninety-six players on the same server application, plus Dungeon Masters (DMs) to run the games, if desired. Neverwinter Nights game modules are run in a variety of genres and themes, including persistent worlds (which are similar to MUDs), combat arenas (player versus player modules), whole servers dedicated to sexually oriented roleplay, [9][10] and simple social gatherings similar to a chat room. BioWare requires that these persistent worlds be free of charge, primarily for reasons of copyright law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights

LMAO

Going by the screenshots, it looks like you can have more than 5 abilities - up to 12 from the looks of it.

AndrewPL

I dont think my current laptop can handle it but I'm really keen on the console version if the controls work well. (I loved dragon age on pc, console version was a let down)

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on this game. Going back and forth whether or not to purchase now but it's highly likely I am copping this in the future. PC or console I don't know yet.

Arulan

I recommend reading the RPG Codex interview. Skim down to the section about Sword Coast Legends.

What followed now was genuinely the most exhilarating half hour of my time at Gamescom. With the two presenters standing by my side, I embarked on a journey of on-the-fly dungeon redesign (mind you, the room layout itself is still not changeable by the player), laying down traps, hiding doors behind fake walls, promoting trash mobs to elite monsters in the middle of battle, and generally having a hell of a time. I had forgotten how much fun it was just to screw with people. At the urging of our hosts, I made a zombie merchant to sell my poor party some weapons; then I promoted him and turned him hostile just when the fighter was about to buy a cool axe. I took control of the dungeon's Beholder boss and charmed the most dangerous party members; then I dropped a Master Vampire just out of sight and starting saving up Threat points to promote him into a mini-boss while the Beholder battle was still going on. The DM Threat system is fairly simple; for every "success" of the party, from defeating enemies to disarming traps, the DM is awarded points to buy cool stuff with. You could buy anything from cheap, harmless traps to outrageously expensive super-monsters. The presenters were in awe of my point-saving prowess, remarking that virtually every other DM at Gamescom had just been splurging their points on the cheapest trash mobs as soon as they became available. I don't know if they were just sweet talking me, but saving up points was definitely a winning formula if you wanted to have fun; hearing the reactions of the party when the Master Vampire wandered into the Beholder fight made me feel like I had made all the right choices in my life.

Ooh, I was pretty sure I'm the only one here who is hyped for this game this month. Glad I'm not alone. :D
The game is looking good so far. Single player seems decent and multiplayer looks pretty fun.

I've definitely been keeping an eye on this one. At least single player, the visuals and look of it seem like basically the direction I was hoping BioWare would have taken with Dragon Age after Origins. Whether or not the single player campaign has a decent story, voice acting for the NPCs and dialogue options is one of my big question marks for the game. The multiplayer dungeon master stuff seems cool but I think I'd mostly be in this for the single player campaign.

Hedge

D&D is as new and exciting as ever with their Next release. ;_;

I wish more games gave the option of custom quests or even campaigns.

D&D is as new and exciting as ever with their Next release. ;_;

I wish more games gave the option of custom quests or even campaigns.

People who walked away after the last pen and paper edition are coming back with this new one. Even people who think 2nd edition is the best are drooling over it.

Karak

Spent a couple hours with it at PAX. Its fantastic and I was NOT sold prior but we ran a dungeon and had a fist pump moment or two. Excellent stuff. As a DM getting loot just like the players was a damn stroke of genius

bounchfx

looks so close to what I want, my only gripe is that it seems to be real time instead of true D&D. would love if they had an expansion that was straight up D&D within the game, since all the tools are there.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've been wanting to make something like this since the Wii U was announced. It would be the perfect device for it with the GamePad as master control. Just never had time or extra talent but great to see it somewhat come through.

Stimpack

looks so close to what I want, my only gripe is that it seems to be real time instead of true D&D. would love if they had an expansion that was straight up D&D within the game, since all the tools are there.
Yeah, it's a shame wizards of the coast seems like they don't even give a shit about their property and the future. Really burns my ass that such an amazing IP is so mishandled.

Obrek

Banned
If they deliver on this feature I have a group of friends that would love this.

It just needs to be more accessible than the NWN2 editor lol.

n-Space made this? Interesting.

Would love to see a DM mode working on Wii U.

No one's really made a D&D-like experience on it yet.

Decado

Interested to hear how the combat system pans out. Have never been completely sold on rtwp and now that there are a good number of quality tbed RPGs out I'm less inclined to roll the dice on rtwp.

Walpurgis

Banned
I've been wanting to make something like this since the Wii U was announced. It would be the perfect device for it with the GamePad as master control. Just never had time or extra talent but great to see it somewhat come through.

This is an excellent idea. Imagine if Nintendo made a Zelda themed one.

Stimpack

Yeah, that would be cool. With tablets and everything being so ubiquitous, there are a ton of possibilities for anyone willing to try making a different experience. That's the thing that really bothers me, there are so many possibilities with the tech we have now, and it's like no one is trying anything new. Most companies are still hung up on this traditional pc/console only mmo crap. I'm hoping AR or VR will perhaps one day breathe life back into the tabletop space.

Kvik

Apologies for necroing 3-months old thread, but did anyone hear any news about this game? It's going to be out in 2 weeks. Was expecting early impression and whatnot.

Corpekata

Banned
There will also be some general early access on the 18th for all preorders (I think largely the creation tools and whatnot) so you should hear more in general in the next week.

3.5 fans seem to be the only ones put off, but they have Pathfinder so who cares, right?

5E is pretty great, and I say that having run 4E for several years up until we converted to 5E in my last campaign.

That said, this game, much like the games released during 4E, only plays a passing resemblance to any of the significant changes between editions and pretty obviously isn't going to play anything like a proper adaptation of the tabletop game would.

Embearded

I just bought the game from GMG for 26€!
Apply this coupon on the checkout:
SAVE23-WITHGM-GSEP15

Watched 15 first minutes of the video and bought it! Looks amazing!

Corpekata

Banned
So now that there are people playing it, do we have anyone around here who can give an impression?

The only people that have access to it (besides possibly some streamers) are people that preordered the super expensive physical editions.

Normal preorders are Friday, so wont be until the weekend.

I would love WoTC to develop a proper 5e (or maybe 4e would be better suited for a video game) implementation in a game someday, turn based with initiative and all that jazz.

Stimpack

The only people that have access to it (besides possibly some streamers) are people that preordered the super expensive physical editions.

Normal preorders are Friday, so wont be until the weekend.

Oh, I see. Thanks! I just saw that some copies were in the wild, and figured all pre-orders had the same head-start. Luckily Friday isn't far off.

Vamphuntr

Anyone else playing the Head Start? I'm not impressed. It runs poorly and it's quite buggy considering it comes out in about 10 days. It also plays more like an action RPG than something like the infinity engine games or Dragon Age. You literally spam abilities as they are all on specific cooldown. You also learn spells from skill trees instead of scrolls like in D&D. It feels more like a mediocre version of Dark Alliance disguised as a DA or BG successor. Only the module/dm things are available for the head start and the lag is quite bad in multi with corpse warping around and making it impossible to collect loot.

If it is in that state when it launches I will refund it through steam.

Top Bottom