• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syberia: The World Before l Launch Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Embark on a journey across continents and through time, as you piece together the puzzle of a life.

Vaghen, 1937: Dana Roze is a 17-year-old girl, who is beginning a brilliant career as a pianist. However, shadows begin to appear over her future as the fascist threat of the Brown Shadow hangs over Europe, at the dawn of the Second World War.

Taiga, 2004: Kate Walker survives as best she can in the salt mine where she has been imprisoned, when a tragic event propels her into a new adventure in search of her identity.

Elios83

Seems like a return to form for the series after the misstep with Syberia 3.
I've the 20 years edition already preordered:
81tnosJygAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Embark on a journey across continents and through time, as you piece together the puzzle of a life. Syberia - The World Before is now available on PS5!

Vaghen, 1937: Dana Roze is a 17-year-old girl, who is beginning a brilliant career as a pianist. However, shadows begin to appear over her future as the fascist threat of the Brown Shadow hangs over Europe, at the dawn of the Second World War.

Taiga, 2004: Kate Walker survives as best she can in the salt mine where she has been imprisoned, when a tragic event propels her into a new adventure in search of her identity.

TwinB242

They don't really make adventure games like this anymore so I definitely appreciated this game. It was a very good time.

How approachable is this series for a newcomer?

I've always eyed it since the original but never jumped in - the graphics alone looked incredible at the time and it seemed so mysterious. My experience with point and click adventures is the various "Tales of" series and I just bought Disco Elysium for $10 but haven't started it yet. I see the original Syberia is like $13 on Steam.

Dutchy

I'm really excited to pick this franchise up. This looks great. As did the little I've seen of Syberia 1 & 2.

Out of curiosity: Why does the third game seem like by far people's least favorite installment?

Elios83

I've finished and platinumed this game on PS5 and I absolutely recommend it to the fans of the series and adventure games.
The story, artistic direction (RIP Benoit Sokal), music and atmosphere are top notch and a return to the heights of the original games after the missteps in Syberia 3.
Puzzles are also good, in line with the spirit of the series there are many mechanical devices to interact with, they're not super hard but never boring as well.

Elios83

I'm really excited to pick this franchise up. This looks great. As did the little I've seen of Syberia 1 & 2.

Out of curiosity: Why does the third game seem like by far people's least favorite installment?
Syberia 3 was disappointing because it was the first full 3D game in the series and because the team back then probably didn't have enough budget and knowledge of the Unity Engine there were many technical shortcomings.
Main plot was also poor, it introduced some poorly characterized villains and the story ended abruptly. It still had many great puzzles, music and the great artistic direction of B.Sokal so it was not a total failure.

Last edited:

TwinB242

How approachable is this series for a newcomer?

I've always eyed it since the original but never jumped in - the graphics alone looked incredible at the time and it seemed so mysterious. My experience with point and click adventures is the various "Tales of" series and I just bought Disco Elysium for $10 but haven't started it yet. I see the original Syberia is like $13 on Steam.

While I loved the first 2 games I imagine they must feel pretty dated nowadays. Can't comment on the 3rd as I decided to skip it once it came out and saw how poor the reception to it was.

But I think The World Before would be a good starting point for most people though. While it does reference the first 2 games the story is mostly self contained so I don't think any newcomers will feel lost or like they're missing something plot wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom