• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SyFy looking to do a '12 Monkeys' series adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

The cable network, which previewed Ron Moore's Helix at Comic-Con, is adapting Terry Gilliam's 1995 feature 12 Monkeys, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The movie starred Bruce Willis as James Cole, a convicted criminal in a post-apocalyptic future where the Earth's population is forced to live underground after a deadly virus. In a bid to earn a pardon, Cole will use an imperfect science of time travel to help collect information on the virus released by the Army of the Twelve Monkeys.

Feature film producers Chuck Roven and Richard Suckle from Atlas Entertainment -- one of the production companies on board the Universal film -- submitted the pitch, which is being eyed as a 90-minute backdoor pilot that would eventually lead to a straight-to-series order in a fashion similar to Syfy's Battlestar Galactica. Terry Matalas (Nikita, Terra Nova, Star Trek: Enterprise) and Travis Fickett (Nikita, Terra Nova) will pen the script, with 24's Jon Cassar on board to direct. "We have a great pilot, we're now flushing out what the rest of the series might be," Syfy president of original programming Mark Stern told The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ion-series-order-590140?utm_source=feedburner

ivysaur12

Banned
This seems like something they would order.

Time travel's a bitch. I really don't think it's worth doing a long-form series based on it because SyFy's core audience will care too much about time travel incongruities that they won't be able to sustain over multiple season.

ivysaur12

Banned
nikita writers? it's a fun show but i don't think they have the chops to tackle a project like this.

The quality of individual writers isn't really tied to a show unless they're the showrunner. And even then, people do a lot for money, like the showrunner of Hellcats who is now the showrunner of Defiance.

I could see it as a mini-series or lasting maybe 2 seasons, but after a while it would just be stringing along if it follows the plot from the movie.

Start with is he crazy or really a time traveler -> clues to future events -> maybe he isn't crazy -> conspiracy surrounding the release of the virus -> plot twist the people they thought releasing it were actually framed -> real conspiracy exposed -> try to stop the people -> end drama with melancholy resolution.

I could see the first season being purely the first three beats with a lead into the conspiracy instead of a single person.

I don't really see how it can work. I thought the movie was a self-contained bit of perfection.

It was, but I think the universe is rich with potential. We never really got to see the post-apocalyptic world in the movie. Also I think time travel and episodic content mesh well together.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This seems like something they would order.

Time travel's a bitch. I really don't think it's worth doing a long-form series based on it because SyFy's core audience will care too much about time travel incongruities that they won't be able to sustain over multiple season.
They're already doing it with Continuum.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
12 Monkeys was a directly sequel to Fight Club! Jeffrey is Tyler! He ended up in a mental institution in the book. It's the same character, he's still going on about consumerist society and his "space monkeys" or monkey army.

I loved La Jetee and 12 Monkeys, but I don't see how to stretch this into an entire series. I honestly don't think it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom