• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syfy Unveils Largest Original Programming Slate In Its History.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

brucewaynegretzky said:
So wait... They have half a season of Eureka already filmed and they renewed for a whole new one, but they still won't air the filmed half til July? Why?
When the networks are in reruns there will be something new to watch.

Getting David Strathairn as lead suggests Alphas may be worth watching. My eyes glazed over reading the rest. I don't even have the channel in my regular "check what's on" rotation anymore. Eureka I of course watch if I run into it, and it and the pleasantly mediocre Haven I watch on Hulu at times. Lost interest in SG:Universe.

brucewaynegretzky said:
So wait... They have half a season of Eureka already filmed and they renewed for a whole new one, but they still won't air the filmed half til July? Why?
Scheduling, rather than "Toss out anything completed." Syfy does have some pretty big mid-season gaps. The one that sticks with me is when the mid-season gap for SG-1 and Atlantis was used to air the entire season of Battlestar Galactica.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
brucewaynegretzky said:

Acck, bummer. Been wondering when they were going to show the other half of the season, hoped it would be sooner than July :/

Was James Callis' character going to be in the 2nd half at all? It kind of left off that he was leaving the town to live life on his own in the 21st Century.

An-Det

Makes sense that they'd have a huge unveiling of new stuff now that they cancelled most of their science fiction. Of what they are announcing, I'm interested but skeptical about the BSG spinoff, and I'm hoping Jersey Shore Shark Attack will be fun. Red Faction at least has good leads, even if it will probably suck.

After Stargate finishes, I think I'll be done with SyFy for now (aside from the occasional b-movie and film rerun).

JoshuaJSlone said:
Scheduling, rather than "Toss out anything completed." Syfy does have some pretty big mid-season gaps. The one that sticks with me is when the mid-season gap for SG-1 and Atlantis was used to air the entire season of Battlestar Galactica.

So is Eureka gonna run through September and October now? Season 4.5 will take up July/August and then there will be a complete season just kinda there. Will they air them one right after the other?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
Reposting my comment from the Deadline Hollywood article on the slate:

Channel Drift is a terrible thing. The History Channel, which I used to keep on all the time so many years ago, is unwatchable at this point. All you get is Ice Truckers, Bayou Bandits, Pawn Shop Heroes, and whatever bullshit non-historical reality shows they come up with.

Meier

Gretl — November 2011 — As an adult, a witch hunter (Hansel) returns to the village where he lived as a child to find and kill the witch who killed his sister, Gretl (Shannen Doherty), only to find that Gretl is not dead and danger lurks around every corner. Produced by Chesler/Permutter Productions & Vesuvius Productions.

There's a movie coming out next summer called Hansel and Gretl: Witch Hunters with Jeremy Renner starring... this can't be good for it, lol.

Zefah said:
Channel Drift is a terrible thing. The History Channel, which I used to keep on all the time so many years ago, is unwatchable at this point. All you get is Ice Truckers, Bayou Bandits, Pawn Shop Heroes, and whatever bullshit non-historical reality shows they come up with.

Yep.

Add to that Cartoon Network.

Reality shows are a cancer. And people watch them. And they deny it, but they watch it. And I hate them for it.

besada

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
doesn't exist.

the practice being performed is either semiotics or just anthropology depending on what the nature of the work is, inventing a new word for it is dan brown gibberish. indiana jones didn't pretend to be an explorologist.

Well, symbology does exist as a word, and it's been around since 1840, so they didn't actually make it up. It may be deprecated in its use since then, but it originally meant the study of symbols. Semiotics generally replaced its usage about thirty or forty years later.

clip

Alphas also stars Malik Yoba, Warren Christie, Laura Mennell, Ryan Cartwright and Azita Ghanizada, and is a production of Universal Cable Productions and BermanBraun Television. Executive Producers are Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein for BermanBraun, Zak Penn and Ira Steven Behr.

Executive Producers are Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein for BermanBraun, Zak Penn and Ira Steven Behr.

Executive Producers are Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein

Lloyd Braun

Serenity now!!!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The reality TV glut will only accelerate the death of the network TV model. I'd bet money that in less then twenty years television programming and internet will be a singular service. (with the exception of over-the-air programming)

G-Fex

Wow SYFY sure is quality. I imagine the budget alone for Red Faction will be huge and fantastic, it'll truly give mars life. Look out Sharktopus, RF: Origins is the real deal.

Oh what an age to be alive with Seeefeeee

WillyFive

I like SyFy, but their original content sucks. They should not try to bring more unless they can do something good.

Merlin rules.

The Teachinator said:
It's a shame they cancelled SGU. I never watched another Stargate other than the movie. I really, really liked this show.
You're missing out, SG-1 was excellent and Atlantis was... well, it was worth watching.

WTF Freddy from Skins is playing young Will Adama? That's such unbelievable casting. We're supposed to believe he grows up to be tough ass Edward James Olmos?

He looks like a wimpy Dave Gahan.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Zefah said:

Economic reality is a bitch. They have to do what is going to bring in ratings.

The Tommy Lee show seems like the only one that I would watch, unless it is all EDGY.

Zzoram

Sci-fi is an abandoned genre and I'm sad. I was also quite pissed when Discovery filled half it's schedule with non-science reality shows.

I don't get it, sci-fi isn't that expensive. Do cheap CG like Sanctuary does, I would watch a Stargate series with Sanctuary level CG for cost savings. It would just be like watching a sci-fi show from 1999 but new episodes, and could still be very good.

my body is ready for more Battlestar.

Zzoram said:
Sci-fi is an abandoned genre and I'm sad.
it's what happens when you saturate a market with horribly acted shows. It sullys the reputation of the entire genre.

Zzoram said:
I was also quite pissed when Discovery filled half it's schedule with non-science reality shows.
they have bills to pay. unfortunately, it's merely a reflection of what TV viewers want to watch. if people didn't tune in in record numbers to watch Jersey Shore, Dancing With The Stars, American Idol and whatever other similar shows you can think of instead of quality programming...even Discovery has to change or lose advertising revenue and die.

these network moves are a direct reflection of what we're collectively choosing to watch. no more, no less.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
All these reality shows are starting to blur together and by proxy, the channels that heavily rely on them. If I'm flipping through channels and I see some guy with a beard out in the middle of nowhere with a shaky cam, it could be one of 6 different channels.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Crap crap and more crap. Tell me when they bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000.

sega4ever

i would kill for a channel that aired nothing but the following reruns:

old twilight zone
newish outer limits
sliders
firstwave
sightings
lexx
quantum leap
incredible hulk
battlestar galactica
stargate sg1
x files

peppered with the following non sci-fi shows for variety:
angel
buffy
unsolved mysteries
masters of horror

topped off with 2 yearly 24 hour twilight zone marathons

Me and Lee sounds dreadful. Reality TV is a cancer.

sega4ever said:
i would kill for a channel that aired nothing but the following reruns:

old twilight zone
newish outer limits
sliders
firstwave
sightings
lexx
quantum leap
incredible hulk
battlestar galactica
stargate sg1
x files

peppered with the following non sci-fi shows for variety:
angel
buffy
unsolved mysteries
masters of horror

topped off with 2 yearly 24 hour twilight zone marathons

Son, where the hell is Forever Knight on that list? :|

EDIT: Throw Brimstone on there, too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Haunted Collector (working title) — Premiering in June — Ghosts and spirits inhabit more than just homes and buildings — they can also live in objects. John Zaffis and his family are renowned paranormal investigators, tracking down haunted items like paintings, guns, jewelry and dolls. Once identified, the items are collected and stored in their museum, helping John’s clients bring normalcy back to their lives. Produced by Gurney Productions. Executive producers: Scott Gurney and Dierdre Gurney.
Once identified that the item is valuable. Yeah we'll take this priceless item off your hands!

DiscoJer

Zzoram said:
I don't get it, sci-fi isn't that expensive. Do cheap CG like Sanctuary does, I would watch a Stargate series with Sanctuary level CG for cost savings. It would just be like watching a sci-fi show from 1999 but new episodes, and could still be very good.

Hell, I would be happy with Dr. Who (the old series) level of props.

I really think that a lot of the TV programming is short sighted, looking for quick ratings. But if they made quality shows, they would have sales potential of DVD/Blu-Ray/etc, not to mention merchandise for years to come.

Anyway, what I blame for this thing is COPS. Thanks to that, Fox discovered that that they could put on anything on a Sunday night and while they would get terrible ratings, they wouldn't be any worse than if they showed something original (and expensive).

And that spread to other networks. Why show something expensive and hard to make, when we can show crap, and our ratings won't be that much worse?

Zzoram

Dreams-Visions said:
it's what happens when you saturate a market with horribly acted shows. It sullys the reputation of the entire genre.

sci-fi acting is no worse than sitcom acting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom