• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T-Shirt Hell is (not) closing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordzilla

This is the first time I've heard of this site. A lot of these shirts are awesome, too bad they're all $19 and I'm broke.

Davidion

I'll tell you one thing, there's no better way to be apathetic than wearing a big sign stating the fact.

Say what you will about that guy, but I give him props to making a healthy dose of cash off of people who didn't get the irony in the sentence above.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Though I shouldn't bitch, as I got some money out of my "I went to Africa and all I got was this lousy virus" shirt in a contest they did a few years back.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think this is the last weekend for T-Shirt Hell shirts, unless it was just a publicity stunt. I had to save this one:

Their shirts are also really good quality and don't wrinkle (unlike Threadless ಠ_ಠ).

methane47

a323_bm.gif

:lol :lol :lol

hmmm should i get this?

Pretty stupid to close it when the shop still sells 3000 shirts a week. At 19$ he makes at least 10$ per shirt, all costs considered. That's a win of over 1.5 million a year. For that kind of money i wouldn't bother about any idiots at all.

projekt84

Steppenwolf said:
Pretty stupid to close it when the shop still sells 3000 shirts a week. At 19$ he makes at least 10$ per shirt, all costs considered. That's a win of over 1.5 million a year. For that kind of money i wouldn't bother about any idiots at all.

He's obviously quite an eccentric individual, turning down tons of money on a whim.

What would inspire him to make the site in the first place?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
newsguy said:
I'm not surprised they went under. They're awesome shirts to read, but wearing most of them will get you shot.

As someone who's done some IRL trolling in their time (I used to wear an IDF t-shirt in Glasgow every few weeks) I can agree with that premise.

Still, I'm tempted to buy this:

2n0u2bq.jpg

I wonder how much shipping to the UK is.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
newsguy said:
I'm not surprised they went under. They're awesome shirts to read, but wearing most of them will get you shot.
If you read the goodbye letter they didn't go under. They still make a ton of money a year and he turned down million+ offers to buy the site.

Darko

"It's Not Gay:If You Beat Them Up After"

Truer words have never been spoken, put me down for one.

NekoFever

Man, I remember visiting this site in school and the whole class laughing at how wrong some of them were. They don't seem as bad as I remember browsing through them now...

Those solipsism and slavery ones are fucking awesome :lol

A friend of mine told me about the site Yesterday. Some are really funny but 19$US plus shipping?! For someone in Canada, that's pretty expensive.

a1190_bm.gif

Darko

Also, this guys a moron for quitting the site, they sell 3000 shirts a week at $19 which probly cost $1-3 bucks to make each.

MrOctober

Banned
The worse than hell shirts that were brought back for the last 2 weeks are ridiculous. There's no where you could wear those outside your house.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
There "baa means no" shirt was stolen shamelessly from a friend of mine who created it.

So, fuck them.

The stupid thing is, my friend who started it was doing it to make fun of the Aggie basketball team (we often joke that they fuck sheep). He then worked with the Tshirt hell guy to turn it into an actual shirt that people could buy. My friend never saw a penny from the sales.

I also don't think the shirt is actually funny outside of the college rivalry context.

aku:jiki

MrOctober said:
The worse than hell shirts that were brought back for the last 2 weeks are ridiculous. There's no where you could wear those outside your house.
Am I ending up at the wrong hell.shtml here or something? What's supposed to be so shockingly offensive about "Pezbians" or "I fucking love to cuddle"?

I did like this one... :lol

a1032_thumb.jpg

It does suck that he's only shutting it down so he won't get harassed by people thinking he's a racist/sacreligious/homophobic bigot when it's obvious its just satire attire. lol.

I hate intollerant people. I guess you could say I'm intollerant of intollerant people.

Can't believe anyone actually bought any of those. Funny stuff on them but wearing one makes you look like a loser attention whore.

Synth_floyd said:
Can't believe anyone actually bought any of those. Funny stuff on them but wearing one makes you look like a loser attention whore.

I like a few of 'em but yeah for the most part they scream "I'm in high school and this is me acting out." And I shudder to think of the kind of person who would wear some of these as a literal proclamation of their beliefs (as referenced in the site owner's parting rant).

The only one I've seen anyone wear is the gray straight rainbow. That's one of the better ones. There are one or two I might have worn five years ago.

NYR

"I'm the fucking idiot who decided to not sell T-Shirt Hell for millions"

- T-shirt for the owner

MrOctober

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Am I ending up at the wrong hell.shtml here or something? What's supposed to be so shockingly offensive about "Pezbians" or "I fucking love to cuddle"?

I did like this one... :lol

a1032_thumb.jpg

Look all the way down at the bottom. I probably get banned for even writing them here.

Alex Anderson said:
New post up and they're not shutting down after all? Weak.

:lol :lol :lol

Holy fuck it was just a publicity scam to get more sales (or his own personal stimulas package as he puts it). Wow, that's fucking fantastic. Great job to them. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
I'd suggest he sell his designs to CollegeHumor for use in their BustedTee's department, but I'm pretty sure most of the designs are a bit too far even for them. :lol

aku:jiki

Jasoco said:
I'd suggest he sell his designs to CollegeHumor for use in their BustedTee's department, but I'm pretty sure most of the designs are a bit too far even for them. :lol
Could be a decent idea. With the 2 funny shirts from T-Shirt Hell added to the line-up, Bustedtee's funny shirt total would go up to 2. So that would be good for them.

I got a couple of these for my birthday a few years back - I still gladly wear the 'You can't have manslaughter without laughter' shirt, but I had to sell the 'Love him or hate him; Hitler killer a ton of Jews' shirt to a friend of mine with considerably larger balls and the physique to stave off any potential repercussions :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom