• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taika Waititi in talks for "Akira."

7Th

Taika will have enough pull to get an all Asian cast after Ragnarok breaks the billion at the WW BO.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm pretty sure someone said "New Manhattan" when talking about adapting Akira in like 1996 and no one's been able to remove it from the pitch since then.

Evangelion isn't Batman.
You're right. Its even closer to Requiem for a Dream than Batman.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
You know what I always hated about Akita? The awesome animation.

You know what I definitely remember? The plot.

/s

Like, the only way I wanna see Akira is with a ground breaking tv mini-series that dives into the manga and goes other places.

As it is, the animated film works fine.

Is there something I'm missing as to why Akira couldn't take place in Manhattan? I've only watched the animated movie mind you. Is there some sort of cultural story in the manga that isn't in the animated movie?

Not that I have hopes of it being good but if it took place in Manhattan and had a complete diverse cast I would be fine with that

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there something I'm missing as to why Akira couldn't take place in Manhattan? I've only watched the animated movie mind you. Is there some sort of cultural story in the manga that isn't in the animated movie?

Not that I have hopes of it being good but if it took place in Manhattan and had a complete diverse cast I would be fine with that

The fan base and visual appeal of neo Tokyo are pretty much the main salvageable aspects - the story is mildly incoherent and not even terribly original- so why bother making it if you’re going to change the location and alienate the fans? Ask scarlet Johansson I guess.

Hollywood.

Apt101

Low, low expectations. At its core Akira is very much about the Japanese experience, particularly their zeitgeist at the outset of the 1980's and general feelings about the future. Adapting it to a US setting starring hot young actor Blondeguy McToday? May as well not even bother optioning the source because it's going to be an entirely different story in the end anyway. Different themes, different philosophical and sociological inspirations, etc.

The fan base and visual appeal of neo Tokyo are pretty much the main salvageable aspects - the story is mildly incoherent and not even terribly original- so why bother making it if you’re going to change the location and alienate the fans? Ask scarlet Johansson I guess.

Hollywood.
Yeah but from what I recall people didn't just have a problem with Scarlet Johansson being her. It was the fact that setting wise it took place in the same city as the manga yet she was white plus they went above and beyond to act like it wasn't Major when it clearly was or some shit lol.

Let's say they make it neo Manhattan and the main 3 characters are Japanese maybe asian but the rest are diverse races. Would you have a problem with the movie then?

Apt101

Princess Mononoke live action coming 2018.

Takes place in far-future pacific northwest. A story about Ashten, who leaves his tribe to save the world along with his giant rideable pit bull named Yak. Lots of dual auto-crossbow action. Trilogy of films.

Pachinko

I really can't see this working , I mean white washing aside (and that's all but guaranteed sadly) , Akira isn't the most adaptable thing for a live action movie. As awesome looking as the anime movie is .. even it's a little nonsensical because it basically cuts 90% of the material out.

So, basically , do a full adaptation / localization of the anime movie instead of trying to cram more in there. Don't call it Akira either , go for some sort of translated equivalent ... I don't know .... 'Project ADAM" or something to that effect. That way you can go ahead and set it in Neo New York , go a little crazier adapting it.

I imagine one of the dozens of scripts out there manages this but... really I'd rather it just got quashed.

Maybe after Battle Angel tanks and the Hollywood Anime Bomba hat trick is complete someone with half a brain @ WB will finally shelve this goddamn terrible idea...

Maybe after Battle Angel tanks and the Hollywood Anime Bomba hat trick is complete someone with half a brain @ WB will finally shelve this goddamn terrible idea...

Battle Angel was Rodriguez's dream project for damn near 20 years too so it bombing on the one hand would make me sad especially if he really is trying to be faithful to the spirit of the original without just making the original but with a lot of white people.

On the other hand, maybe it will finally get Hollywood to stop trying all this dumb shit in the hopes that one eventually works.

Ross61

I’d want Hollywood to actually try and do better than just shelving the idea. First steps are actually getting a good director like Waititi.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
No director is going to make this work. No matter how good they are.

You know I'm surprised the real answer hasn't come to them. Take it to TV! Take it to Netflix!

Battle Angel was Rodriguez's dream project for damn near 20 years too so it bombing on the one hand would make me sad especially if he really is trying to be faithful to the spirit of the original without just making the original but with a lot of white people.

On the other hand, maybe it will finally get Hollywood to stop trying all this dumb shit in the hopes that one eventually works.

Wut. It's Cameron's project, he just handed it to Rodriguez after he realized how much time of his avatar was gonna take

Slayven

Hollywood really should ease into anime. Like pick a less known propriety and make a good movie about it.

Perfect Blue starring Anne Hathaway 30 million budget.

Tokyo/NY Godfathers( make the marketing clear it isn't a mob movie)

Something simple and good that lets people know anime based movies can be good and not all about fireballs and shit

Kelsdesu

WB spending decades to force out an Akira movie reminds me of how the NFL spent decades after the Rams left to force a new football team in Los Angles.

Spoiler alert: It will suck, it will make fans angry, and no one will watch when it finally comes.

And Hollywood will get the wrong message when it does..

Because that's even harder to adapt. You would need some insanely good director to make it a film anybody would be interested in.

David Lynch is probably the closest we could get, but I can't imagine him doing a straight adaptation, and the character writing would almost certainly suffer.

Ross61

Hollywood really should ease into anime. Like pick a less known propriety and make a good movie about it.

Something simple and good that lets people know anime based movies can be good and not all about fireballs and shit

Darren Aronofsky already made it.

Black_Swan_poster.jpg

wandering

Banned

Tokyo Godfathers would actually be really awesome. Call up Aronofsky

Taika, it's a trap!
Jordan Peele escaped it just in time.

Akira can not and should not be made in the west. It's a recipe for disaster.

Japan should do a new adaptation though, preferably as a mini-series. Or something like a Rebuild of Akira. I want to see the second half of the manga animated, even though the chances of it matching the original are slim obviously.

Top Bottom