• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise has sold 2.7M units making it the best selling single Tales game of all time

As a result, there were a large number of new players and those who played the game for the first time in a long time, and the game sold more than 2.7 million copies worldwide, which is unprecedented for a single Tales title. I was able to.

Here's various sales figures and records for past Tales releases:

GrHyNJ6.jpg

Last edited:

Kazdane

My only complain about Arise is that the final dungeon felt *way* too long. Other than that, loved the game, and I'll be playing the DLC they've just released.

blackjon24

Great game let down by bad final act and dumb pay to win elements that don't belong in this game, idc if it is optional, it cheapens the experience. I would much rather wait to get a substantially different tales game like we got for arise vs getting them every year like we used to. Also Tales of symphonia is still the best, give us a true remake it deserves, not a crappy overpriced port.

Last edited:

Anime-Vix

Im surprised Tales Of Xilla did not make any of these lists. That was my favorite Tales game. I remember it doing well during it launch from what I remember. I guess the lack of PC version and being stuck on PS3 is why.

Go_Ly_Dow

Those are some low ass numbers sheesh
Profitable enough to keep the series going for a few decades now whilst also seemingly upping the budget/production values of more recent entries. The series seems like its in a good place.

Before I was quite keen on an Arise 2, but after this seemingly low effort expansion DLC I think I'd prefer a new entry which uses a similar visual style to Arise instead.

Sleepwalker

Symphonia still better 🤷‍♂️

I own this but had a hard time getting into it so it went into the ole backlog to probably never see the light of day again lol

Doom85

Hopefully they‘ll use that money to make a better Tales game now. Arise had improved graphics, but the characters and story were weak, and the world was even more linear and less to do in than prior titles. And get the fuck out of here with that new skit format.

For my money:

1. Abyss
2. Berseria
3. Vesperia
4. Symphonia

Those are the best of the series.

Then Xillia 1 and Graces are pretty good, Zesteria is okay, Arise is meh, and Xillia 2 (let’s charge full price for a “new game” where 90% of the environments are copy/pasted from 1!) sucks aside from some decent characterization from a few of the first game’s characters.

Hopefully they‘ll use that money to make a better Tales game now. Arise had improved graphics, but the characters and story were weak, and the world was even more linear and less to do in than prior titles. And get the fuck out of here with that new skit format.

For my money:

1. Abyss
2. Berseria
3. Vesperia
4. Symphonia

Those are the best of the series.

Then Xillia 1 and Graces are pretty good, Zesteria is okay, Arise is meh, and Xillia 2 (let’s charge full price for a “new game” where 90% of the environments are copy/pasted from 1!) sucks aside from some decent characterization from a few of the first game’s characters.
Phantasia and Destiny were better then Simphonia.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'll put my feelings aside about Arise and hope this leads to a better product in the next mainline title. Still hoping for anything to capture the same feeling as Vesperia
Those are some low ass numbers sheesh
Maybe your perception of sales number is warped due to the AAA sphere? It's pretty good for this series.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I enjoyed the increased production value and the new art style but ultimately the story and characters left me cold.

I would really like them to start recording actors together or at least getting rid of the long, awkward pauses between lines.

Doom85

Is Arise the Final Fantasy 13 of Tales games? :pie_thinking:

I’d say it was more the 16 of video games for me. Especially since XIII improves later in the game, whereas both Arise and XVI drop off hard in their second halves apparently (from what I’ve heard by most, I dropped XVI at about the halfway point, and Arise I gave up at about 30 hours, not sure if I was at the halfway point). I could at least finish XIII, whereas XVI (and XV) just wore out my patience.

Phantasia and Destiny were better than Simphonia.

I liked Phantasia okay, but 2D combat just feels rough with me with how Tales is designed.

Never managed to snag a copy of Destiny.

Don‘t know why you’re calling it Simphonia, yes I do wonder if some rank it the highest purely because it was their first Tales they played, but I “only” have it at #4, still solid but there are a few I prefer.

That said, I’d simp over Sheena and Raine any day.

GfNeohR.jpg

D0I7Krk.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tales of Graces probably could have outdone that if they had handled it better. Start out with Wii launch but keep that Japan only then take ages to make the worldwide PS3 version and not even enhance it much, it would have probably looked great with a cel shading shader on top of the cute gfx.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I played more of any other title than this one. Looked good, but I stopped after the first major boss.

It didn’t hook me at all sadly.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Next one needs more enemy variety, a less bloated campaign, and less narrative handholding and it will be amazing.

They had something with Rise, but it has a lot of problems that I think are easily fixed.

Alexios

2.7m multiplatform.
No wonder JRPG is dying.
I mean, it literally says it's the best selling yet, clearly being such a long running series it was not hanging with the big boys that were at one point selling multiple millions easily so it has nothing to do with that and if anything it shows the opposite as a second/third rate series sells better than ever.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

2.7m multiplatform.
No wonder JRPG is dying.
I don't understand, what's the basis for such a comment? If the company is happy with the title-to-title performance or average, isn't that all that matters? Even if they weren't, Japanese developed titles are some of the best-selling so what are you on about?

Jedge

For some reason I thought the tales series would sell more per title. Arise was a lot of fun and I hope they keep making them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
nier is not jrpg, its an action game.
Nier is action JRPG just like Nier Replicant and Drakengard before that and in Automata can level up to 99...so its absolulty JRPG.

Most JRPG will probably fail to meet the sales number of personal 5.

In other words, developing an AAA JRPG is a very very high risk.
Most JRPG dont have stupid high budget like most western games does, they dont need to sell COD numbers to make profit.

Alexios

There have (almost) always been action based JRPGs, like the Mana series since 1991 (which started as part of Final Fantasy) or Ys since 1987 (same year as but before Final Fantasy, one year after Dragon Quest). Stop doubling down on your ignorance or showing it off so much, maybe.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nier is action JRPG just like Nier Replicant and Drakengard before that and in Automata can level up to 99...so its absolulty JRPG.

Most JRPG dont have stupid high budget like most western games does, they dont need to sell COD numbers to make profit.
Games like NIER targeted to different audience. Having a level system doesnt mean its jrpg.

JRPG fans complaining when FF16 is an action game.

They want the traditional JRPG, but in AAA budget.

YukiOnna

Most JRPG will probably fail to meet the sales number of personal 5.

In other words, developing an AAA JRPG is a very very high risk.
7R hit 7M, From Software just had a title that sold 20M or whatever (unless you're those people who think it's not a JRPG, but I'll ignore that). But Why does it matter if it's AAA or not as long as it's a good game and it turns a profit? None of this is close to "JRPG is dying"

KàIRóS

I don't know why you guys lose your time debating these guys, just remind them that Pokémon sells more than Call of Duty, end of discussion.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
7R hit 7M, From Software just had a title that sold 20M or whatever (unless you're those people who think it's not a JRPG, but I'll ignore that). But Why does it matter if it's AAA or not as long as it's a good game and it turns a profit? None of this is close to "JRPG is dying"
ok fine, i mean AAA jrpg is dying.

pretty sure 7R budget is AAA. and as i said above, not every JRPG able to breakeven with that massive budget.

You will still see alot of low budget JRPG games thats for sure.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ok fine, i mean AAA jrpg is dying.

pretty sure 7R budget is AAA. and as i said above, not every JRPG able to breakeven with that massive budget.

You will still see alot of low budget JRPG games thats for sure.
I dont give rat ass if its AA or AAA, as long as its good game then I'm more than happy to play it.....game having high budget doesn't always mean better and thats true with every type of game JRPG or not.

Edit FF7rebirth is not only big JRPG coming out in Feb... unless you think thats not JRPG because it has action combat.

Last edited:

Alexios

I dont give rat ass if its AA or AAA, as long as its good game then I'm more than happy to play it.....game having high budget doesn't always mean better and thats true with every type of game JRPG or not.
He's just trying to change his argument after it was obliterated, lol, how would he be talking about AAA only when he made a comment based on the Tales series and its own data, since it never was AAA, lol. Just a sad, pathetic, ignorant hot take he thought he could get away with a hit and run for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom