• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise TGS 2019 trailer.

KàIRóS

New character and mascot teased at the end.

I'm really worried about that PC digital logo at the end, first trailer had the Steam logo instead of that one, I really don't want this one to become Epic Store exclusive.

Also at the end of the stream, Tales producer Yusuke Tomizawa was teasing fans if they could recognize any new voices from the trailer, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the voice at 0:40 which belongs to Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito from Sword Art Online)

Last edited:
EDIT: I will just post the screenshots.

People from Rena can use Astral Artes, which are a magic that utilizes Astral Force. The user’s eyes shine when using Astral Artes.

Tales-of-Arise_Slides_09-15-19_002.jpg

The Fire Sword that Alphen wields is a power manifested by Astral Force. Since the sword burns the wielder, it can only be used by Alphen, who does not feel pain.

Tales-of-Arise_Slides_09-15-19_003.jpg

Tales-of-Arise_Slides_09-15-19_004.jpg

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
This looks great! First Tales of game I'll buy since ... wow, I can't even remember. Since Symphonia maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

gela94

I really dislike the look of the mainguy but apart from that it looks fabulous. I wonder will there be party members?

Never played any tales since I generally dislike jrpg's but this looks cool. Hopefully the story is self contained and I don't have to read the story/lore of previous ones.

Dunki

Never played any tales since I generally dislike jrpg's but this looks cool. Hopefully the story is self contained and I don't have to read the story/lore of previous ones.
No they are like FF games. Except Tales of Xillia 1 and 2.

As for the game. I do not know. I need to see more part members. For me Tales of Games were always about eh characters and I loved these skits. If these are not present. I do not know If I will like it or not

Boss Mog

30fps is just awful for Tales games. I never finished Legendia or Zestiria because I couldn't stand the 30fps combat.

Most games in the Tales of series are stand alone, with the occasional sequel, prequel, or loose connection of being set in the same world/universe. Like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Unreal 4 is really doing wonders for HD and game development over in Japan. Honestly I'm really excited on having a good healthy and diverse amount of content coming in the near future with next gen and the likes.

Definitely will be keeping an eye on this one. Symphonia is still my favourite out of the series.

Life

I can't imagine how this one stood out in any way.

As for the story, you're saving the world from villains who want to conquer earth and control everyone - and the main character(s) has an ancient/special power that is the key to defeating said evil. In the end, you succeed - after having used the same special moves about 50,000 times on mostly weak enemies.

Edit: I don't actually know the story but sadly, no JRPG can escape the confines of the above. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Hudo

Holy crap. That almost feels like Katsuhiro Harada went down to the Tales team and said "Let's Tekken it up a bit."
I like it.

Koutsoubas

Unreal 4 is really doing wonders for HD and game development over in Japan. Honestly I'm really excited on having a good healthy and diverse amount of content coming in the near future with next gen and the likes.

Definitely will be keeping an eye on this one. Symphonia is still my favourite out of the series.

Thank God they woke up from the slumber and adopted the engine! Everything looks phenomenal (FF7R, KH3, Tales of)

I can't imagine how this one stood out in any way.

As for the story, you're saving the world from villains who want to conquer earth and control everyone - and the main character(s) has an ancient/special power that is the key to defeating said evil. In the end, you succeed - after having used the same special moves about 50,000 times on mostly weak enemies.

Edit: I don't actually know the story but sadly, no JRPG can escape the confines of the above. It's pathetic.

Yeah I know. That's why I dislike them and can't fathom why ppl drool and love them besides maybe combat/atmosphere but I'm willing to try over..and over again until one day I will find something I like. Well not sure if counts but I did like Nier Automata, even though I dropped it two times.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Exentryk

Yeah I know. That's why I dislike them and can't fathom why ppl drool and love them besides maybe combat/atmosphere but I'm willing to try over..and over again until one day I will find something I like. Well not sure if counts but I did like Nier Automata, even though I dropped it two times.
I tried Tales of Xillia as my first Tales game and it was so bad that I decided I'll never bother with Tales again. Haven't played any other Tales since then.

With Arise, the combat is really luring me in, closely followed by the visuals (thanks UE4). Even if the story is mediocre, these two things should at least make the game playable.

Shifty

That's looking pretty swish. I wonder if it's going to be solo throughout, or whether you form a party and get multiple characters in combat. I kind of hope for the former.

I tried Tales of Xillia as my first Tales game and it was so bad that I decided I'll never bother with Tales again. Haven't played any other Tales since then.
Oof, that's a rough first pick. Solid enough combat, but the vapid 'overworld' areas, characters, story, etc... Bad times.

Why would they give god a lisp :messenger_confused:

Last edited:
  • LOL

Isa

I'm really excited for this one. I like the lady's design and hope we can switch between party members, which I assume we'll be able to. The world(s) and lore seem to be spot on. I need moar! Also the take on the flame sword actually causing harm is a cool idea.

Jooxed

Gold Member
This looks so good. In for the Switch Pro version :p or PS5 whichever comes first..i really regret getting rid of my PS4

KàIRóS

The whole "guy feels no pain and woman's body deals pain" makes me think there's going to be romance between the two, since only Alphen can interact with Shionne and she can cure his wounds for interacting with her.

I think these two abilities will also affect gameplay, like enemies that attack Shionne will receive damage and maybe Alphen won't get staggered while receiving damage, all speculation though.

BTW to those asking if there are going to be more party members, the producer confirmed that there are going to be more and the combat is still party based.

Shouta

That's looking pretty swish. I wonder if it's going to be solo throughout, or whether you form a party and get multiple characters in combat. I kind of hope for the former.

Oof, that's a rough first pick. Solid enough combat, but the vapid 'overworld' areas, characters, story, etc... Bad times.

Why would they give god a lisp :messenger_confused:

That was an audio issue that slipped through as I recall?

Paltheos

30fps is just awful for Tales games. I never finished Legendia or Zestiria because I couldn't stand the 30fps combat.

I don't know what you played on, but on PC Zestiria can be unlocked to 60fps with only one hiccup in one town early on that needs you to put the cap back on to avoid a softlock. Otherwise the game's as smooth as butter and gorgeous. Namco fixed any issues in Berseria which was 60 on PC and console. Seems they tend to play conservatively on release but what's going on under the hood can handle it (hopefully).

Bkdk

Glad they are upgrading the engine, much needed. Hoping for one of the best tales of games in a long time. Will the pc version be released simultaneously?

MagnesG

Banned
I always want to play games like Tales on pc for the 60fps and speedhack whenever I'm traversing boring corridors and barren wastelands, also long cutscenes with awkward pauses. I really don't have time for those. Mods could also helps with bugs, mostly.

This one though I may have to reconsider, but I'm not convinced yet. There's always someone from my peers hyping the 'new' tales as the best yet, only for it to become one of the most mediocre experience a JRPG could have one way or another from multiple aspects (story, gameplay loop, music, world exploration), aka fake grandeur. Fancy graphics doesn't mean much if the game is boring, we had tons of those from the west for examples.

I'm really worried about that PC digital logo at the end, first trailer had the Steam logo instead of that one, I really don't want this one to become Epic Store exclusive.

I wouldn't be too worried. Bandai Namco have said that they won't be releasing any of their titles on the Epic Store until they drop the exclusivity requirement.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Dear God!!

The combo system looks insane!! The Revival of JRPGs is approaching!

That does looks awesome!

Its very rare that I'm interested in a jrpg not called final fantasy these day's but things are definitely changing, I've just just brought dragon quest 11 and ni no kuni 2. Last tales game I brought and completed was vespera on the 360 but this new one has definitely got my attention.

VALCON 82

Hey GAF slueths.. has there been any new information on Arise for 2020? i have tried looking around and can't find any update outside of the Korea ratings..This is one of my most anticipated titles for this year (along with Granblue ReLink).

Just curious...

Top Bottom