• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

bubnbob

Banned
When it finally releases am I allowed to complain that I'd rather just play it in Japanese instead, or? Just trying to set the tone for irony.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Everyone should be voiced by people trying to impersonate Wakamoto. Kinda like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNkATKq0bUw
I never get tired of seeing this. :lol

All praise Wakamoto.

kayos90 said:
I prefer the Japanese voice in this case. But that's because Eureka = win.
Is that who voiced her? I don't know everyone who did the child voices in Japanese. Ah well. It's only two hours long and Cheria isn't the prime focus of the prologue anyway. It's all about Richard, Asbel, and Sophie. And Hubert a bit.

wtf.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That video was dumb. I was watching Guilty Crown and I just realized that I wish the story in the Tales games were much more gritty. Too bad they're not.

kewlmyc

That video was dumb. I was watching Guilty Crown and I just realized that I wish the story in the Tales games were much more gritty. Too bad they're not.

If gritty means that you wish that the stories were more like Guilty Crown's, then I'm going to have to disagree with you. Guilty Crown's writing is terrible, which is a shame since the plot and characters had so much potential.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If gritty means that you wish that the stories were more like Guilty Crown's, then I'm going to have to disagree with you. Guilty Crown's writing is terrible, which is a shame since the plot and characters had so much potential.

I'm not talking about the entirety of the story. This is spoiler for GC but,
Shu being a dictator. Shu getting his arm chopped off. The multiple instances where it's very violent and gritty.
I completely agree with you that the story in GC is bad with the exception of Season 2 being better. Just saying that there are parts of it that just made me realize how safe Graces plays it.

Jiraiza

Needs more Nakamura Yuuichi. Dat voice.

Anyway, 5 more days! Best thing about that? Friggin' finals right after. Not to mention I haven't been able to finish Ni no Kuni yet either. So much to do, so little time.

kewlmyc

I'm not talking about the entirety of the story. This is spoiler for GC but,
Shu being a dictator. Shu getting his arm chopped off. The multiple instances where it's very violent and gritty.
I completely agree with you that the story in GC is bad with the exception of Season 2 being better. Just saying that there are parts of it that just made me realize how safe Graces plays it.

Yeah, that's true. Some Tales games can have gritty material too.
In Tales of the Abyss, Luke accidentaly killing an entire town of innocent people was pretty gritty. Also the mass replica suicide thing. It wasn't violent, but it was dark as hell when you look back on it.
Plus, they wouldn't want to risk a Mature rating. A darker M rated Tales game wouldn't be that bad. Persona games get away with it and do fine, I don't see why Tales games can't.

Seda

I've never played a Tales game. Is the combat any more interesting than, say, Shadow Hearts or Valkyrie Profile?

Shadow Hearts and VP are both pesudo-turn based with emphasis on button press timing.

Tales battles are fully in real time. Just youtube Tales gameplay. Most similar to Star Ocean.

I've never played a Tales game. Is the combat any more interesting than, say, Shadow Hearts or Valkyrie Profile?

Think... character action game...

Actually something like KoA Reckoning has a ... comparable combat system to this series.

A bit button masher, with something similar to the control 1 guy thingy in FF13.

Aeana

Man, for some reason that dungeon is the one I always think of when I think of the dungeons in the game. That one and the one much later with the boxes.

Rarutos

It's nice that they're finally advertising the co-op for once. They should have done that since Symphonia, at least!

Goli

I feel bad after watching that co-op walkthrough video since I always thought that Filthie Rich might be a retarded person because of the way he writes on twitter/lack of ToGf marketing but he sounds like a pretty nice person ._. .

Aeana

I feel bad after watching that co-op walkthrough video since I always thought that Filthie Rich might be a retarded person because of the way he writes on twitter/lack of ToGf marketing but he sounds like a pretty nice person ._. .

I had a similar reaction.

<Aeana> Namco released a video for ToGF showing off co-op.
<Aeana> 3 dudes, the localization producer, the QA lead and RICH
<Aeana> As in the PR guy who sucks
<@pancakesandsex> is he an insufferable douche?
<Aeana> No :(
<Aeana> His voice is kind of awesome. :(
<Aeana> BUT HE SUCKS
<Aeana> JERK

Seda

I'll never forgive Rich for his response to the blurred ToV logo when teasing this game.

"No, lol, that wasn't the Tales of Vesperia logo. It was just blurred so much you though it was!"

(close enough to the actual quote.)

What? I thought he is pretty good with answering questions and making the stuff sound exciting, especially the ps blog posts he writes.

I was tempted to watch the video but then Id rather just be surprised with the game come Tuesday/Wednesday.

Need to find a good guide to use.

Seda

What? I thought he is pretty good with answering questions and making the stuff sound exciting, especially the ps blog posts he writes.

I was tempted to watch the video but then Id rather just be surprised with the game come Tuesday/Wednesday.

I always use this guy's for Tales games.

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/

scroll down to Tales of Graces Future (PS3 Version Only)

Might take a bit to get used to his format, but he doesn't miss a thing. Also no spoilers and stuff.

lJCj7.jpg

At least it has free shipping...

Goli

Rich is so awesome, I loved his Soul Calibur PR appearances. Markman made a great recommendation. FGC woo!

I've never read a PS Blog post of his or followed his Soul Calibur PR appearances since I don't really like that kind of games, but the way he did things with ToGf like what Seda said was enough to not make a very good first (internet) impression.

kiryogi

Banned
I've never read a PS Blog post of his or followed his Soul Calibur PR appearances since I don't really like that kind of games, but the way he did things with ToGf like what Seda said was enough to not make a very good first (internet) impression.

PR has to damage control somehow, just look @ how S-kill and Sven deal with the Capcom stuff. It's on a much more BS level, but despite that, they're both really awesome people. I'm super glad that we have Seth @ Capcom representing us.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone insane by now having to deal with the more overbearing parts of the tales of fanbase on a daily basis.

Rpgmonkey

I'm surprised he hasn't gone insane by now having to deal with the more overbearing parts of the tales of fanbase on a daily basis.

Excuse me, but since he didn't get a superbowl commercial, blast TV channels and websites with advertisements in the two weeks leading up to release, give out thousands of dollars in swag to reviewers (and pay off any reviewer who didn't see that as enough for a good score), and announced that Namco will localize every Tales game: past, present, or future (or they could just bring over Vesperia PS3, that's worth more than every single unlocalized Tales game), he's a horrible PR man.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Looking at the video I can't get over how every single battle loads so fast.

EVERY single JRPG should be that fast when transitioning into battles.

Top Bottom