• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia -- EGM review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The people in that thread act like the ToS scores are crappy. wtf, those scores are decent to me

Culex

Banned
I don't like that 7.5. The game is easily a straight 8.5/9.0.

To each his own, though. I already own the game and know it kicks ass.

Good score. I don't feel like games should get in the 9s unless they're groundbreaking anyway... I already know I want this game and in all the reviews I've seen so far, the only things people put down are things I am either interested in or not worried about lol.

ced

Man I cant wait for ToS.

Whats the date for it again(US), I guess I could go search but Im sure someone knows.

king zell

ced said:
Man I cant wait for ToS.

Whats the date for it again(US), I guess I could go search but Im sure someone knows.

July 13th !!

tales-of-symphonia-20040512051237069.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040512051224351.jpg

talesofsymphonia_043004_021.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040512051216571.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
Good score. I don't feel like games should get in the 9s unless they're groundbreaking anyway... I already know I want this game and in all the reviews I've seen so far, the only things people put down are things I am either interested in or not worried about lol.

Except that for a lot of import gamers, ToS was their GoTY last year or at least in the top3. It's like what Ninja Gaiden did for action games, taking the best of everything and pulling it off wonderfully. The only reason I can think of that the game is getting <9's is that the dub/hours of missing voice acting in the chats are pulling the game down a point and I have no clue how anyone could give it a 7.5 unless they hate rpgs.

kiryogi

Banned
Maybe it's all the similar complaints so far. Cookie cutter chars and story? But even then it's got fantastic presentation and development. Well, the japanese experience anyway. I wonder if the dub detracted from the experience at all :D

jarrod

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
GOTS(ummer)
GameCube's actually got a pretty great summer lineup all around...

-Legend of Zelda: Four SWords Adventures
-Tales of Symphonia
-Puyo Pop Fever
-Pikmin 2
-MegaMan Anniversary Collection
-Amazing Island
-Spider-Man 2
-SRS: Street Racing Syndicate
-WWE Day of Reckoning
-Digimon Rumble Arena 2
-Terminator 3: The Redemption
-Madden NFL 2005

...much better than the spring was imo.

kiryogi said:
Maybe it's all the similar complaints so far. Cookie cutter chars and story? But even then it's got fantastic presentation and development. Well, the japanese experience anyway. I wonder if the dub detracted from the experience at all :D

Neither the characters nor the story are cookie cutter.

AniHawk

kiryogi said:

Cookie cutter characters and story? That's not what I've heard at all.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonny: somewhat. In anycase that was mentioned by GI's review. (except refill, for deriving sexual pleasure from old stuff) There was also someone else here that was pretty put down by ToS. I forgot who D: It's in that SO3 VS ToS thread.

edit: and im just posting what i'm seeing. I'm part of that crowd last year bebpo spoke of. one hell of an rpg. not just for the GC, but this generation period. *Don't forget I was pimping that ToS ladies avatar for quite sometime!

Subitai

I expected a much better score considering how much they loved Skies of Arcadia: Legends (GOTM).

Anyway, I'm still gonna check it out.

I can't speak for the JPN version...maybe its characters and story were cookie-cutter. But the English version does not suffer from that problem. The characters are extremely diverse and mostly quite original and well developed, while the plot is textured and not at all straightforward (though it's not so vague as to be incomprehensible).

By the way, Tales of Symphonia kicks the proverbial ass of Skies of Arcadia Legends.

kiryogi

Banned
I thought something was fishy about those spoiler shots zeller. Those were from the PS2 version! Egads D: (ugly)

Bebpo

Banned
Agent Dormer said:
Jeeze, 7.5 doesn't mean KEEP AWAY IT'S THE PLAUGE, people.

Of course 7.5 isn't bad. But then again it's not going to make people who normally don't play rpgs run out and buy it...which is what the message should be.

It's like if Ninja Gaiden got 7.5/8.5/8.5. Sure they aren't bad scores but most would argue it deserves even better.

it will be my GOTY untill PIKMIN 2 comes out, then PIKMIN will hold the position untill Metroid Prime 2 :D

just read the GI article about MP2: Echoes, and OMG, this game is gonna make me cumm while playing

Ah ToS, my most anticipated RPG for this year, followed by Baten Kaitos. Namco is really rocking for me lately, and I'm even getting slightly hyped for Xenosaga II, go figure.

I have a question, I've never really sat down to read about the story concept of ToS, but how many characters are there in total that join the adventure?

Jonnyboy117 said:
I can't speak for the JPN version...maybe its characters and story were cookie-cutter. But the English version does not suffer from that problem. The characters are extremely diverse and mostly quite original and well developed, while the plot is textured and not at all straightforward (though it's not so vague as to be incomprehensible).

By the way, Tales of Symphonia kicks the proverbial ass of Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Wow, and I absolutely loved SoA. I can't wait to get this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You serious?!?! No progressive scan?

The really sucks a lot...

People were asking whether SO3 or ToS looked better the other day and SO3 just took the crown for sure for this reason. :(

What about Baten Kaitos?!

dark10x said:
You serious?!?! No progressive scan?

The really sucks a lot...

People were asking whether SO3 or ToS looked better the other day and SO3 just took the crown for sure for this reason. :(

What about Baten Kaitos?!

How does something take the crown for something as trivial (IMO) as progressive scan? Unless you absolutely cannot play a game in progressive scan because of a monitor, it makes little difference to the actual quality of the visuals. Games should be graded based on the artistic execution of all on-screen elements. It shouldn't be based on whether you can see all the lines on the screen at the exact same time. People on this forum make a bigger deal out of progressive scan than need be.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion. Progressive scan is really great to me but has absolutely zero influence on a game's visual sway in my opinion. It's simply a drop of icing on a rich gigantic cake.

Razoric

Banned
Ahh I need a new RPG to play. Tell me, what's the deal with this game? What makes it special? The graphics? Story? Battle system?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JasoNsider said:
How does something take the crown for something as trivial (IMO) as progressive scan? Unless you absolutely cannot play a game in progressive scan because of a monitor, it makes little difference to the actual quality of the visuals. Games should be graded based on the artistic execution of all on-screen elements. It shouldn't be based on whether you can see all the lines on the screen at the exact same time. People on this forum make a bigger deal out of progressive scan than need be.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion. Progressive scan is really great to me but has absolutely zero influence on a game's visual sway in my opinion. It's simply a drop of icing on a rich gigantic cake.

You see, I thought both games looked fantastic. They are quite different, but I was unable to decide which I preferred. This issue, however, has simply sealed it for me. SO3 will look better.

Without (at least) 480p, the game will look blocky and faded and will basically lose some of its appeal. Considering how incredibly sharp and colorful prog-scan GC games can be, it is VERY disappointing.

Oh, and this is not some sort of troll or anything. I am actually VERY disappointed to hear this. I was absolutely expecting it to run in 480p and am shocked that it does not. :(

Meier

People disappointed by its score are idots. That's still a silver.. AND better than FSW's score if you hadnt noticed. Both games will receive universal acclaim and kick ass -- I get to start up on FSW later tonight in fact, w00t.

Top Bottom