• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Luigiv

Can someone tell me if the graphics are on par with the original and if there have been any downgrades?

Like I said in the OP, they're practically identical. Apparently the character models have been redone but you can hardly tell, not with the resolution difference anyway.

Volodja

The jaggies hurt my eyes quite a bit for the first few minutes, now I've built a thin layer of tolerance.
I hope that this game will manage to keep my interest for longer than the last two Tales games I've played did.

Famassu

The jaggies hurt my eyes quite a bit for the first few minutes, now I've built a thin layer of tolerance.
I hope that this game will manage to keep my interest for longer than the last two Tales games I've played did.
Just keep in mind that the Abyss kind of doesn't show it's best qualities early on (story/character-wise it can be a bit of a PITA), but it gets a lot better if you get through the beginning.

Volodja

Just keep in mind that the Abyss kind of doesn't show it's best qualities early on (story/character-wise it can be a bit of a PITA), but it gets a lot better if you get through the beginning.
I pretty much always expect a relatively slow beginning, the problem is that I often end up losing interest around half-way into the game. Hopefully being on a portable will make me less prone to dropping it, even if this didn't help Eternia that much.

Ok, bought it. Very quick impressions, will come back soon with more in depth opinion.

Lading are 80% shorter than ps2 version. 3D is subtle but looks good.

fps rate is solid, almost NO drop down.

Looks way,WAY less aliased in motion than in shots.

Only "complaint", the OAV cinematics could have been remastered.

So far : Ok, it's not a complete remake, just a port, but load times are real real better, can't compare to ps2, really. I might enjoy the game a lot this time. Plus, it's in my pocket.

Game and HMV are not selling it in stores, it's online only. Bastards!

Guaranteed sales bomba. I recommend buying it ASAP, before it becomes rare.

Neil

Well even though GAME dispatched it only last night, it was by Parcelforce 24 so it arrived this morning... :)

Looking forward to playing - I bought a 3DS a month after release and this will be the first time using it, aside from the initial 15 minute spin on Ridge Racer!!

Almyn

If you live in Northern Ireland, Or Ireland however, Gamestop are selling it. I got a copy there this afternoon. Are there Gamestop stores in the rest of the UK yet?
My local Game said it may have been in the order that had just arrived and to call back later. I am glad I didn't.

I picked it up now as I guessed it may become hard to find pretty soon.

Zafir

If you live in Northern Ireland, Or Ireland however, Gamestop are selling it. I got a copy there this afternoon. Are there Gamestop stores in the rest of the UK yet?
My local Game said it may have been in the order that had just arrived and to call back later. I am glad I didn't.

They got shut down when the UK website launched.

I live in London, so I'm fucked. Bought it from Amazon in the end. Now I just have to play the waiting game...

Yay, it came today. About an hour in.

Early speculation, but I think Luke is
an arsehole

Just got Mieu. First thought: Is this Flonne? One Wiki search later, yep, it's Flonne. Woo. Can't un-hear.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
About an hour in too. From a technical point of view it's pretty good. 3D works very well for such games, it makes the sceneries full of life. I can't wait to see what Level 5 will bring us next year.

Gambit

Guaranteed sales bomba. I recommend buying it ASAP, before it becomes rare.

Don't they usually drop the price significantly before they become rare?

I know the German amazon for a very short time had really good deals on Dragon Quest V before it became very expensive again. (Should have bought it then and there!)

Anyway, I shall buy Abyss before christmas. The 3DS version is the reason I stopped my playthrough of the original (I had only started this year and played for five hours, but the load-times were too frustrating).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Played my copy for an hour, never played the original before - the 3D effect is way better than i expected from such a cash-in port. Looks and plays nice, will continue playing it next year after my exams.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played it for 2 hours and I love it so far. Feels good to have a great RPG on 3DS, I heard this game takes 40 hours to complete, it should occupy me for weeks on my way to work :)

Aru

Okay, ordered the game for free on Fnac.com (with PSP2, for 5 €).
But sadly I won't play the game right away :lol (see my backlog thread).

Yay, it came today. About an hour in.

Early speculation, but I think Luke is
an arsehole

Just got Mieu. First thought: Is this Flonne? One Wiki search later, yep, it's Flonne. Woo. Can't un-hear.
Luke is that way for various reason it's explained later ..

I have only played one tales game (Symphonia). How does it stack up to that?

I liked lloyd a fair bit more than whiny luke, but the supporting cast is solid. The game is noticeably harder imo until you master the art of free run, than combat gets a bit broken.

if this version has comparable loading to symphonia on gcn, I'll probably jump in when this comes to the states.

I played the hell out of this on the PS2, so don't know if I want to pick this up. The only incentive to get it again is if Bamco added new voices to it like during the cut scenes when the characters talk to each other.

Looks like they didn't.

But the 3DS don't have many games at the moment so I may just get it someday. It was still a good Tales game, arguably, the best one.

Just to add that although I personally like Symphonia more than Abyss, the only reason for it is because it was arguably the best RPG on the Cube, a system that lacked good JRPGs. So it was more memorable.

But Abyss is by far the better game, in my honest opinion.

Oxx

I'm kinda worried that this game will be impossible find by the time that I get around to buying a 3DS, but I'm still not keen on having a £30 paperweight until Nintendo revises the 3DS.

Stuart444

Yup, as I said before, Namco would like them to sell it in shops but they don't have faith in it to sell (which is ironic considering some shovelware I've seen that are sitting in shops for months >_> )

polg

Going to Oz for a break this weekend, so I'm planning to get it from JB HiFi. It will be my first tales game. Any tips before I get into it?

shahkur

Damn, I was just gonna buy the game online but it's already NOT IN STOCK in most places that sell for ~£30. Anyone care to help?

shahkur

Can't find it for £30 either. Amazon and Play have it in stock, but it's £35.

Guess we may have to dip at that price. What are the chances of restocking do you think?
You know what, scratch that I'm ordering it from Amazon LOL.

RpgN

I've pre-ordered the game over a month ago and still no text or call wether I can pick it up. Looking at various (Dutch) online sites, all of them are sold out or have them in stock around 12.2...that seems to be very odd. It was supposed to be released today. This seems pretty weird, it feels as if it's worse than the case with Xenoblade Chronicles back then.

I guess it's too early to panic since I've pre-ordered the game, they might have just not received it yet. Usually, they call me 2 days in advance and I get to pick games up early.

shahkur

I've pre-ordered the game over a month ago and still no text or call wether I can pick it up. Looking at various (Dutch) online sites, all of them are sold out or have them in stock around 12.2...that seems to be very odd. It was supposed to be released today. This seems pretty weird, it feels as if it's worse than the case with Xenoblade Chronicles back then.

I guess it's too early to panic since I've pre-ordered the game, they might have just not received it yet. Usually, they call me 2 days in advance and I get to pick games up early.

Here's hoping it turns out alright for you.

Where did you pre-order it? I pre-ordered it at GameMania and they're getting it next tuesday.

And just ordered from Amazon for £35. I really hope it is worth it for that price. How long is the main quest?

I think I used as much as 50 hours on the game, but could be I was playing a bit slow. It is a lengthy game! However some of the length is due to some unfortunate backtracking towards the end.

RpgN

Here's hoping it turns out alright for you.

Thank you, I'll try and be patient. But I was mistaken about the date, it was supposed to be released yesterday officially :p

GasProblem said:
Where did you pre-order it? I pre-ordered it at GameMania and they're getting it next tuesday.

I ordered it at Gameshop Twente. Not sure if there's problem with distribution in Holland? It doesn't sound THAT bad in the UK. Surprisingly, I heard bol.com has it in stock. Not sure if that's still the case.

Zafir

storafötter;32981124 said:
I think I used as much as 50 hours on the game, but could be I was playing a bit slow. It is a lengthy game! However some of the length is due to some unfortunate backtracking towards the end.
Still faster than me, I was at 60hours when I completed it for the first time. There's a few sidequests as well, though they aren't really marked anywhere and easily missable.

shahkur

Do enemies have attack patterns (e.g. Castlevania) and can you physically dodge enemy attacks, or is it luck based where the word "missed" appears like in turn based RPGs? I'm asking as I've never really played a Tales of...

Seda

Do enemies have attack patterns (e.g. Castlevania) and can you physically dodge enemy attacks, or is it luck based where the word "missed" appears like in turn based RPGs? I'm asking as I've never really played a Tales of...
If an enemy misses it's because you moved your played character out of the way. You'll never see the word 'missed'.

Ydahs

Namco has done a very good job with the port. I'm loving the smoothness of the world map, though it slows in areas with a lot of trees. The 3D effect, although subtle, is growing on me. Sometimes you can't even tell there is 3D, but when you can, it really adds to the experience.

Only negative so far is the voice acting, which seems low quality. I'm not sure if it was like this in the original, but it sounds too compressed.

Very happy a quality 3D Tales game has found its way on the 3DS, even though it is a port. Hopefully Namco will release an original someday (and localise it of course).

Luigiv

Only negative so far is the voice acting, which seems low quality. I'm not sure if it was like this in the original, but it sounds too compressed.

Well, given that the PS2 version is 2.8GB and the 3DS version is 2GB, I'm willing to bet the audio quality did take a hit.

wazoo

Well, given that the PS2 version is 2.8GB and the 3DS version is 2GB, I'm willing to bet the audio quality did take a hit.

2D arts are problably lower res, but considering sound is very space consuming, you are probably right. Still, 3DS games are the first handheld games to hit 2GB and we are already complaining.

Top Bottom