• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Rpgmonkey

oAzvr5E.png

TIljtx8.png

lNe7Pi9.png

Platform: PlayStation 3
Theme/Genre: Passion Illuminates the World RPG
Developer: Bandai Namco Studios
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Directors: Yuuta Hase, Mari Miyata
Producer: Hideo Baba
Composers: Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Animation: Ufotable
Character Design: Daigo Okumura, Kosuke Fujishima, Minoru Iwamoto, and Mutsumi Inomata
Release Dates:
-Japan: January 22nd, 2015
-North America/Europe: TBA 2015
Theme Song: "White Light" by Superfly

Videos
PV1
PV2
PV3
PV4 (Story System)
PV5

WHr1i3y.png

Cel5CSp.jpg
hVfUaBn.jpg

Tales of Zestiria takes place on the continent of Greenwood, a land primarily controlled by two nations: the Highland Kingdom and the Laurence Empire. A land of myths, folktales, ancient traditions, and superstition, it is said that when darkness begins to overtake the world, a savior will appear with the power to bring back the light and restore peace. In the present day various disasters are occurring throughout the continent, and a force born out of negative emotions known as the Corruption has started to materialize. This is where our lead Sorey comes in: with abilities uncommon to normal humans, he eventually sets out on a journey to develop his powers and save the land.

wiGm0BM.png

Sorey
Voice Actor: Ryohei Kimura
Character Design: Kousuke Fujishima
A young man raised in the village of the Tenzoku, he possesses an abnormally high level of spiritual power, allowing him to see the normally invisible beings. Fascinated with ruins, he sets out to explore the outside world after meeting Alisha. He later learns that he has the power to stop the Hyouma and stop the corruption taking over their world.

Alisha
Voice Actor: Ai Kayano
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
Last in line to succeed Highland's throne, she sees herself not as a princess but as a knight. In search of a solution to the disasters occurring in her country, she eventually makes her way to the land of the Tenzoku, where she encounters Sorey.

Mikleo
Voice Actor: Ryota Osaka
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
A young Tenzoku who has been friends with Sorey since their childhood. The more level-headed of the two, he attempts to make Sorey see reason and the two frequently argue. Also interested in ruins, he has a sort of rivalry with Sorey and the two set out from their village together.

Edna
Voice Actor: Misato Fukuen
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
A Tenzoku girl with the ability to use earth magic. She has a sharp tongue and is distrustful of others, particularly humans, and tries to keep her emotions suppressed.

Lailah
Voice Actor: Miyu Matsuki
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
A Tenzoku woman with an affinity for fire, and the first to form a pact with Sorey. She serves as a guide to Sorey as he learns and develops his powers, explaining to him and his friends about the ancient world and its practices.

Dezel
Voice Actor: Daisuke Ono
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
A wind Tenzoku, he is tracking down a Hyouma to get revenge for a friend that was killed by it. He generally keeps to himself, and appears to have done something to keep his inner emotions from corrupting him.

Zaveid
Voice Actor: Kenjiro Tsuda
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
Another wind Tenzoku, he enjoys fighting Hyouma and is always in search of a strong opponent, even attempting to fight Sorey. His true motives and allegiances are unknown.

Rose
Voice Actor: Mikako Komatsu
Character Design: Kousuke Fujishima
A human girl working as a member of the merchant guild "The Sparrow Feathers", she has a level of spiritual power comparable to Sorey. She lost her ability to see Tenzoku as a child, but after spending some time with Sorey she quickly begins to regain her original abilities.

oPcDNbO.png

5qGhO7V.jpg
OwH1yGE.jpg

Fusionic Chain Linear Motion Battle System

A spiritual sucessor of sorts to Tales of Graces' battle system, Zesitira's battle system carries over a lot of features from that game. Some of the things brought over include having two sets of artes assigned to the X and O buttons, the ability to time dodges for bonus effects, and a damage multiplier for hitting enemy weaknesses. The game also has a collection of newer features:
  • Kamui - The primary new feature of the combat, it allow a human and a Tenzoku to fuse into one being, unlocking powerful elemental attacks.
  • Real-time transitions - A first to the series, battles no longer take you to a separate battlefield. Instead the battle begins in the same location it was initiated.
  • Spirit Chain - Zestiria uses a new resource system instead of AC, TP, or CC. It works similarly to CC and AC in that it quickly recovers once you stop taking action. The main difference is that each character has a maximum of 100 SC, meaning you basically need to have a certain percentage available to use an action. This applies from the beginning of the game it also doesn't use CC's Min-Max mechanics.
  • Blast Gauge - Filled through fighting and defending, this gauge lets you use extra abilities and fusion. You can build a stock of it, and use abilities that require building it up to a particular level, such as Mystic Artes.

qPI699j.jpg
ErJhD72.jpg

Map Actions
Sorey can use his sword or call upon his allies to perform actions on the field, allowing you to remove obstacles, reach new areas, or interact with enemies. Sorey can use his sword to cut down obstacles or hit enemies, fire shoots a fireball, water forms a bubble barrier, wind allows you to move quickly over gaps, and earth lets you break down objects like boulders. You can use these abilities to hit enemies and if they have a weakness to it, deal additional damage when the battle starts.

XiElM3D.jpg
W7rhez7.jpg

Normin and Tenzoku Blessings
Magical creatures known as Normin are littered throughout the world. If you find one, they will allow you to use various bonus effects, such as increasing the drop rt of equipment with certain skills. There is also a Tenzoku known as "The Lord of the Land", by offering them Grade you can get various blessings, such as respawning chests or reducing the cost of warping between save points.

PQR6iI1.jpg

Accompanying Character
A party member can follow Sorey around as he travels. This partner can be spoken to, opening up conversations about your current task or their backgrounds and opinions.

8Iv7miL.jpg
PDXI0wV.jpg

Equipment
In Zestiria equipment can have different skills attached, even equipment that’s the same otherwise. These skills have particular attributes, which line up on a 5x10 sheet. You can choose to either stack up skills of a particular attribute, or arrange them in various ways on the skill sheet to unlock bonus skills that will give you various bonuses. You can also synthesize equipment, combining them with each other to form a new piece of equipment that has higher stats and combines the original two parts’ skills. Equipment has a refinement level, which increases by winning battles. You can increase it up to five levels, and doing so will give you character various benefits.

j9RFMvP.jpg

Maps
Kamenin (Turtlez) are back from Graces in Zestiria, but instead of offering a shop or transportation services, they sell maps. These maps open up new locations for you to visit, some of which are optional and open up the world to further exploration.

D3DPNCD.jpg

Other Stuff
There's also a lot of series staples and other content in the game:
  • Cooking - Cooking have been split up into two categories: actual food and snacks. Food can only be made at Inns, and lasts for a particular number of battles. You can learn new recipes and increase the duration by eating more. Snacks are made through the characters' support talents. These snacks are like items, and can be used anywhere.
  • Shops - Like Graces or Xillia, shops have a rank. By buying and selling things you can increase this rank and they'll offer different things. The equipment they can sell may have different skills, and they only sell 1 of a particular item.
  • Discoveries and Stone Monuments - Like in Graces or Rebirth, you can find discoveries, which will unlock skits. Stone Monuments increase your AP for Battle Acts.
  • Skits - Pretty well known by now, they work similarly to Xillia, with full skits and smaller ones that happen during battle on while traveling.
  • Titles - This generally works as it did in Graces: you can obtain titles by doing various things in the game, and they have some sort of benefit or special effect. You can also level them up through battling, which will make the character learn the arte the title offers.
  • Support Talents - Each character has a collection of special talents that can be equipped. This ranges from making snacks, to creating bottle items, to increasing movement speed after a battle. You can learn them from various sources.
  • Battle Acts - These function like Skills in Vesperia or Xillia. Each skill needs a certain amount of AP to be equipped, and they'll give your character various abilities in battle. It appears that Free Run is one of those skills, rather than it being an inherent part of the controls.

XCVMSUc.jpg

Downloadable Content
Evangelion - January 22, 463 Yen per character (Lailah, Alisha, Sorey, Rose, Edna)
Idol M@ster - January 22, 278 Yen per character (Rose, Alisha, Lailah, Edna)
School Collection - January 29, 278 Yen per character (Sorey, Alisha, Mikleo, Edna, Lailah, Dezel, Rose, Zaveid)
Blue Exorcist - January 29, 463 Yen per character (Sorey, Mikelo, Edna, Lailah)
Sengoku Basara 4 Attachments - January 29, 185 Yen each (total of six)
Tales Collection - February 5, 278 Yen per character (Sorey, Alisha, Mikleo, Edna, Lailah, Dezel, Rose, Zaveid)
Swimsuits - January 29, 278 Yen per character (Sorey, Alisha, Mikleo, Edna, Lailah, Dezel, Rose, Zaveid)

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm appropriating first reply *fail to express my satisfaction at the trophy list this time around

sorey guys

Shouta

Copy paid for, it should be in my hands by the weekend. I've kept away from media for the game to go in as fresh as possible, heh.

Cess007

Hyped for this. I just saw the OP in the other thread and really liked the OP. The song is more Rock that i would've expected but it's a nice change.

I just wish there was a PS4 version of this :(

Also, from the other thread:

Tales of The Abyss opening remains my favourite, despite hating most of the cast.

why would you posted Vocaless English version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yzTJYM4p-s

It is one of the best Tales OP.

I spend one full month playing nothing but Karma on my ipod back then. All the time, every single day, Karma was the only thing playing :)

Labadal

I really hope the gameplay delivers. Admittedly, I have yet to start Xillia 2, but Xillia was not as good as Graces f when it came to cmobat system, character advancement, or how shops were handled. Everything in that sense was inferior to Graces f. I also hope Zestiria has more fun landscapes than the ones in Xillia. I feel like free camera is to blame.

Flarin

Zesty! Looking forward to hearing people's impressions.
As long as it's better than the 2 Xillia games then I'll be happy :)

Aeana

I really hope the gameplay delivers. Admittedly, I have yet to start Xillia 2, but Xillia was not as good as Graces f when it came to cmobat system, character advancement, or how shops were handled. Everything in that sense was inferior to Graces f. I also hope Zestiria has more fun landscapes than the ones in Xillia. I feel like free camera is to blame.

Battles being designed by the same person who was responsible for Graces is a good start, here.

MSMrRound

Alisha is still the one true heroine of the title....right guys?

Also, going on a mini-Twitter banning spree on some guys who can't keep spoilers out of their tweets *cough ExeForce87 cough*

SaintZ

Here for Alisha as the true heroine and not that flop basic looking bitch Rose.

And I also saw a spoiler... regarding party members. Should I post it? (no, it's not about Alisha)

Aeana

Here for Alisha as the true heroine and not that flop basic looking bitch Rose.

And I also saw a spoiler... regarding party members. Should I post it? (no, it's not about Alisha)

None of us are even playing the game yet, so you shouldn't post any spoilers.

Anbec7

I really hope they made a complete edition for Ps4... I don't want to buy a Ps3 for this!
Maybe I can ask a friend to lend me his...

Question! So this game doesn't have costumes like the ones before? they're DLC now then?

Labadal

Battles being designed by the same person who was responsible for Graces is a good start, here.

As I understand it, the battle system will be sort of a mix between Xillia and Graces? I might have gotten that wrong, but that's how I have understood things from the different Zestiria threads we've had.

I don't like the way shops and cooking seems to work. Just like I didn't like shops in Xillia.

I do like that titles are important again.
I don't mind Battle Acts.

The way equipment works could be good.

Now the wait for summer begins. I'm going to follow the thread for impressions and try to stay away from spoilers.

It's going to be hard avoiding spoilers till the NA version comes out. I may even stop reading this thread since someone is inevitably going to post something big without spoiler tags.

I really hope they made a complete edition for Ps4... I don't want to buy a Ps3 for this!
Maybe I can ask a friend to lend me his...

Question! So this game doesn't have costumes like the ones before? they're DLC now then?

There has been mention that there are in-game costumes and attachments, so probably like Xillia 2 levels of costumes for the cast. (color variants, one or two costumes per member).

Lucis

My copy will be here tomorrow 10:30am PST
Will stream the whole thing after work starting tomorrow.

CANT FUCKING WAIT

RPGCrazied

Awesome, hope it comes out in summer for NA. I really hope costumes or at least some are in the game. I miss the days of getting those from doing side quests. I hate DLC sometimes. :(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the opening, it fits pretty awkwardly to the animation.
Listening to the song alone though I kind of like it.

Bebpo

Banned
Nice OP! My copy shipped last night, so should start playing on Fri. My first Tales game in 2-3 years after skipping Xillia 2 and never finishing Xillia.

Going in optimistic!

Aeana

Nice OP! My copy shipped last night, so should start playing on Fri. My first Tales game in 2-3 years after skipping Xillia 2 and never finishing Xillia.

Going in optimistic!
Where did you order from, out of curiosity?

Nice OT.

I preordered my Lalabit Market Limited Edition months ago.
I won't have the game before 2 weeks though... :( wait is going to be agonizing.

If no one does it before me, I'll post photos of my Limited Edition to show what was inside (and if it was worth the price, hah!)

I won't lurk a lot on this topic until I can play it....don't want to get spoiled :x

Zafir

Didn't even realise this was out so soon in Japan, heh. Looking forward to hearing impressions ready for the western release.

Edit: Just watched the opening video too. Surprisingly good, wasn't expecting that kind of music at all from what I'd seen of the game previously.

Rpgmonkey

Got my order paid for, now to wait... Kinda funny to think Udo hasn't played a big role in a new Tales game since 2009 with Graces. It's been the main thing driving my interest in this.

You can see a lot of Graces in the game, but there's also some hints that they looked towards other games like Vesperia, Legendia, Destiny R, Destiny 2, Vesperia, Rebirth, and Xillia (2) for gameplay ideas, music, and visuals. It's an interesting direction to go in for an anniversary title (I'm actually surprised that it wasn't until the third one that they attempted this), so I'm curious to see if it comes together well or ends up being an incoherent mishmash of stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
Where did you order from, out of curiosity?

I've always got my imports from Play-Asia. With their FedEx shipping I usually get the games a day or two after release (sometimes on Monday after). Occasionally I've had problems with them, but it's rare so I'm still happy with them after 5+ years.

Aeana

I've always got my imports from Play-Asia. With their FedEx shipping I usually get the games a day or two after release (sometimes on Monday after). Occasionally I've had problems with them, but it's rare so I'm still happy with them after 5+ years.

Hm. Mine hasn't shipped yet. I've been worried since I have both Zestiria and Legend of Legacy in the same order, but it's the Asian version of Zestiria. I hope it still ships on time for me to get it on Friday. They usually ship on Thursday at like 3 AM my time, so there's still time though.

Copy bought , still waiting for my shipping notice.

All i want as a hidden feature is to be able to snap screenshot like crazy ( like in xillia 2 ) ? THAT THING WILL MAKE exploring even more intresting :)

Zankou

My copy shipped today :)

I hope it will arrive on saturday... but I fear it will be monday =/

Graces is one of my favourite games, so I can't wait to finally play it.

RalchAC

- So going by the OT Alisha is a princess. I'm not surprised.

- It seems certain people (me included) overreacted with the "food for Inns" thing. Going by OT info there are snacks (traditional food whose benefits last a few battles) and the inn food (which has longer benefits?).

- Want to know more about the Lord of the Land reputations and the Shops reputations. Hopefully the later is more like Graces than Xillia's (which was an excuse since the game was rushed and they probably weren't able to implement a craft system like the one in X2).

- And want more info about gameplay! Having Graces dude working on it has me hyped. In the OT it seems like you can actually switch party members? Even if it's limited to Tenzoku and you need to have two humans in your party, that's awesome!

Top Bottom