• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tallest living man's hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Count of Concision
This was in the most recent issue of Life magazine (man, have they fallen from grace over the years :p) which comes with our Sunday paper. It's the hand of the world's tallest living man, Leonid Stadnik, who stands 8'4" and is still growing in his mid-late thirties. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, so I figured I'd share with non-NY'ers. If anything, the pic (which is the actual size of his hand and is spread over two pages-- I was unable to get the second page in the pic, hence why you can't see his pinky etc.) is actually bigger in real life, since I had to approximate it on the resize (it's pretty close, though). It also extends off the page of the magazine for the top of his middle finger another half inch to an inch or so. Crazy. I guess you'd have to view this in 1024x768 resolution to see it in its proper size? I'm not sure how jpegs work in browsers...

bighand.jpg

Wow. :lol It says that his hand is over 12" from the bottom to the tip of his middle finger, and his wrist (which you can't fully see the width of here) measures 4" across.

Loki

Count of Concision
belgurdo said:
Woe to any girlfriend of his that likes fisting

:lol

Bump so more can bear witness to this amazing spectacle. The hand doesn't fit on the monitor! :D

Ecrofirt

IIRC, he's from the Ukraine.

He lives with his mother and sister in a tiny village. He was a veterinarian for a few years, but pain stopped him from continuing his practice.

He's too big for cars, so he drives a horse drawn carriage.

He's also been reluctant to get medication for his condition, even though he continues to grow, and will probably die soon.

Crow

This is from Guinness's Site.

Officially, Leonid Stadnik is not the worlds living tallest man. The second paragraph explains why.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/gwr5/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=48406&Reg=1 said:
Tunisia's Radhouane Charbib measured 2 m 35.9 cm (7 ft 8.9 in) as a result of seven measurements taken on April 22–23, 1999 in Tunis. Radhouane is one of 11 tall brothers and sisters. He enjoys playing basketball and not surprisingly his local team are top of the league. His striking frame can often be seen walking around the whitewashed streets of his hometown, Tunis, Tunisia, where he is now regarded as a superstar. Of his world record Radhouane said, "It is a big pleasure and I can't believe the position from which I see the world."

A number of people claim to be taller than Radhouane, but unless they are measured three times in 24 hours, they can not be considered for the category. Leonid Stadnik refuses to be measured by us. We have been told that it is because he doesn't want to court publicity - yet he continues to claim to be the tallest. Unfortunately we can only conclude due to previous experience, that he refuses to be measured officially by us beause he is not the height he claims to be.

A number of people claim to be taller than Radhouane, but unless they are measured three times in 24 hours, they can not be considered for the category. Leonid Stadnik refuses to be measured by us. We have been told that it is because he doesn't want to court publicity - yet he continues to claim to be the tallest. Unfortunately we can only conclude due to previous experience, that he refuses to be measured officially by us beause he is not the height he claims to be.
There are no pictures of the guy so as to easily determine whether he's exaggerating by 6 inches?

Loki

Count of Concision
JoshuaJSlone said:
There are no pictures of the guy so as to easily determine whether he's exaggerating by 6 inches?

There's a pic of him standing in a room in the magazine I scanned the hand pic from. Gimme a minute and I'll scan the pic in and upload it. Still, it's hard to say because door frames, ceilings etc. are not uniform in height.

Loki

Count of Concision
Here ya go, Joshua...

talledit.jpg

Hard to tell. The magazine says that in this room (his living room), his head grazes the ceiling, whereas in his kitchen he has to constantly crouch. Ceilings are usually 8 feet high, but who knows if there are building codes where he lives. :p For instance, look at the door frame. In my house, the inner frame of the doorways (i.e., roughly the tops of the actual doors) stand at 6'8", but again, it might not be the same. If it is the same, he looks to be around 7'8"-7'11", not 8'4" imo.

Either way, I find it difficult to believe that the tallest living man could only be around 7'9", especially considering that the tallest man ever (documented by Guinness) was one-quarter inch short of 9' tall.

Brodequin

Speaking of large hands, I'd say Vince Carter's hands are about the same length. At the NBA store in NYC, they have molds of the hands of several NBA players. I placed my hand, which is 8 inches, in the mold of Carter's hand, and his hand had to be about four inches longer. It was almost freaky since he's about 6'6", only 5-6 inches taller than me.

Loki

Count of Concision
Really? I've never heard anything about the size of Carter's hands. Jordan, Lebron James, and Pippen's hands I've heard a lot about (and you can see it when they palm a ball). Supposedly, Julius Erving had hands that measured one foot long (similar to the above but probably not as thick), and Wilt Chamberlain could supposedly encircle a basketball with his hands, making all fingers touch on all sides. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom